News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How is the quality of the LARP weapons from Museum Replicas Windlass Swordcrafts

Started by Poldugarian Warrior, February 02, 2010, 11:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

I'm thinking of buying one of these swords, maybe 2, but I don't want to shell out that kind of cash, if they don't stand up well. So any information on these would be much appreciated.

TKM

I'm sorry, I don't know of anyone specifically who has used a museumreplica weapon, though I know what you're talking about and they look great,  though I go want to say, that if reaction on them turns out negative and you're still looking for another medium, one provider that many people from my group have started to use is edhellen.com which i can fully verify to be worth every penny. Not trying to pitch it or anything, I don't have any ties to it at all, I just happen to know they're good weaponry. (If I was trying to shamelessly promote something I cared about I'd suggest Barbarian Weaponry, but I don't even know if they're still in production unfortunately)

Poldugarian Warrior

Thanks for the tip. I seen some stuff for Larp that wasn't Museum Replicas, but Forgotten Dreams, which look awesome and have many different time periods, even mercenary and rapiers. Only problem is they want the same price as a steel sword.

TKM

I couldn't possibly imagine why... I highly doubt any of it's any better quality than the best foam weapons i've used.. I think if you're being asked $100+ for a foam weapon, unless it's something just ungodily extraordinary, they're probably just cheapskates and con artists.

EDIT: On that note, taking another look at Edhellen, their full-contact weapons (which are the ones i was preoccupied with, and care most about), for serious sparring, are reasonably priced for the quality which I can personally back up in full, but as for their latex LARP weapons, which I'm not sure if that's what you meant or not, I think are a little rediculous, after looking at them further. They're asking a pretty hefty price just for a pretty looking sword, that I'm sure in and of itself is well made, and is better visually for the LARP aspect, but would never stand up to as much abuse as weapons made for combat.

Poldugarian Warrior

Thanks for the in-depth look. Yeah, I thought the same thing. I want somethin that will last and look cool. But, not for that amount of money.

brier patch charlie

I had one of the knives I got to use as a pattern, it was a good blade, and well made, so I never did make a copy.
Charles Coleman

Poldugarian Warrior

I have many cheapy and some expensive steel swords, I'm just looking into something for non-lethal combat. Like a bofors weapon, but much better looking, yet very functional and lasting.

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

We have a few Museum Replica LARP weapons.  Look nice but don;t really hold up under long term LARP use.
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Poldugarian Warrior

Thanks that's the straight-up answer I've been looking for. I'm really thinking of just going with those new Nerf foam weapons, and seeing how they last, since they don't cost so much, and I can modify them a bit, to make them look better. Thanks to all who gave suggestions.