News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Machine-sewn Eyelets

Started by gem, August 28, 2009, 03:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

I'm having problems with my Viking eyelets. I bought the 6mm plate, and I've been trying to do some practicing with it, but it makes these huge wads of thread in the center of the eyelet, which makes it impossible to turn (I have so far been unable to make more than 1/3 of an eyelet because of it). I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm on the eyelet setting, I've tried with everywhere between a 5 and 7 stitch length, my feed dogs are down, my foot is down, but I can't figure out what the problem is. Help!

Sorcha

Lady Rebecca
I have a Viking and tried to order the eyelet plate.  It came in and I went to pick it up and it's for the wrong model.  :( They're trying again.  BUT! 
I remember in the instructions that the eyelet setting in the decorative stitches is for "free hand" stitching.  If you're using the eyelet plate, you should use a zig-zag stitch with a length of 2-3. 
Their online accessory guide shows the eyelet plate and it also gives instructions for use.

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/accessories_search.asp

Lady Rebecca

Thank you so much, Sorcha! That seems to work. Now the only problem is that I think I will still wind up having to do the eyelets on my 18th cent. stays by hand, since it's already fully boned...

RenShirts

With all this talk about sewn eyelets, we added that option to our Build-A-Shirt and got an order the same day.
Frank
RenShirts.com

Kate XXXXXX

When you use theeyele plate on the Husqvarna, you drop the feed dogs, so the stitch LENGTH doesn't matter, and you can use whatever stitch width suits the fabric.  One thing to remember when you are learning is to sow slowly and turn steadily.  What prevents that nasty build up and thread nest is you turning the work round and matching turning speed to stitching speed so that you don't sew too many stitches too close together.

LadySeasan

i wish i had a machine that did eyelets :(
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

Kate XXXXXX

When you upgrade, you'll need to look at Husqvarna, Pfaff, and Bernina.

gem

I am bumping this thread up, because it's been a couple of years since it was posted in, and it's WAY TOO USEFUL to let it slip into oblivion.

Every time I go to do machine eyelets, I have to look this thread up for a refresher course, and I'm so glad it's here!

RenShirts

We have had big demand for the sewn eyelets here at Muskogee.  We started leaving some of our shirts blank so we could do them upstairs when they ask. 

amy

Does anyone else use an old style Singer Button Hole Attachment to make their eyelets?   I just received one when given my Mother's machine to love, and I am anxious to use it for eyelets.  I have made hundreds of buttonholes with it and they are lovely.   I am supposing I will have no choice in the size settings and will be limited to just 1/4" standard eyelets.   But they will work for many items!

gem

I have a new tip to add! I'm not sure I've seen this posted here. If you're having trouble, try adjusting your presser-foot pressure! I was just doing a couple on some wool crepe--the test ones went fantastic (isn't that always the way?!  ::)), but when I went to do the real project, it bunched up and wouldn't feed well. I lessened the presser-foot pressure as low as it would go, and voila! Fed beautifully, nice smooth eyelets.

I thought of this b/c of the photos that Kate posted in this thread. In that photo, it shows the presser foot ankle resting *on top of* the eyelet shank... but on my machine, the ankle goes all the way down to the fabric. I figured lightening the pressure on it might make all the difference, and it worked a charm!

Amy, if your buttonholer makes eyelets (I'm sorry; I'm not familiar with them at all), I don't see why it wouldn't work. Grab some fabric and start testing!  Alternately, you could always just do very small buttonholes. I believe Dona Catalina does buttonholes for all her gowns, and I have a RTW corset (18th c.) that has buttonholes instead of grommets or eyelets. I've never had trouble with them.

amy

Oh that IS happy news.    I just finished my TNRF season so now I can sit down and play with my new toy!  Thanks!