News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gallery of Finished Projects

Started by gem, May 08, 2008, 03:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Charlemagne

OH wow, I love it! The drape and textures are just great. Awesome work! Makes me itch to get my sewing space all set up.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Thank you, Ser Charlemagne.

I  will be doing another similar ensemble for the friend of my daughter who has season tickets for the 2016 Minnesota Vikings season at the new stadium in Minneapolis. She wants a shield maiden ensemble complete with leathers and real furs. I will post pictures when I get that project going.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The 18th Century gown is finished and ready for Costume Con next month in Madison. Looks like I need to reset some of the hooks and eyes for closer closing. I had so much fun making this gown, I want to do a simpler one by the end of may in time for a Pirate/Wench festival the end of May.

Next project up, a Custom designed 1950's Tea Length wedding dress for a client to get married in made out of a Crème Silk Taffeta, Alencon lace overlays. Will post photos as I progress on that one.

Puck

I love seeing all your work Lady Kathleen! Makes me even more anxious to get my costumes going.

isabelladangelo

This week, I made two 18th century dresses - one for me and one for my sister in law.  Mine is handsewn and I did my SIL's on the machine.   

DSC00418

My dress is out of some cotton I bought a year ago in Williamsburg.  It's a period correct print.   The cuffs are a linen/cotton blend.

DSC00417

My sister in law's dress is out of what we think was a linen blend tablecloth at one point in it's life.  I bought the teal material at the thrift store and I'm still not sure what it was meant to be other than two edges were sewn and the other two were selvage.  Her dress is lined in a linen blend that I wouldn't normally use but I also knew this dress would primarily be worn during the spring and fall - times where the weather will be comfortable enough to get away with lesser blends or she can throw a wool cloak on and be good.  :-)

More information, as always, at my blog

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Although I posted in process photos in the Mundane thread,  this project was for a performer in our favorite group that performs out at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival and other smaller faires. She is getting married on 21 May. This was her design idea and it was my job to make that idea come to life.

The idea the client liked.

The completed Front. The under layer is Silk Taffeta  in a soft Crème from Silk Baron. The Lace overlay is Alencon Lace in an Ivory from www.housefabric.com The scalloped edging shows nicely to finish the skirting. Silk Taffeta finishes the neckline and sleeve hem. The Bodice part has one layer of Canvas, Regaline boning for shaping, as well as fully lined.

There is an invisible zipper. Id added Covered buttons and looping for the back. I think the Bride will be pleased.

The pattern I modified for this  dress was McCall's 6646. The sleeve pattern, I drafted.

operafantomet

This is one of my favourite threads to browse through. SO MUCH BEAUTY!!!

isabelladangelo

My latest dress.  It's saffron yellow linen with pink wool sleeves lined in gray linen.  The style is based on the early 1500's Venetian style of dress. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

That is so lovely, Isabella. The colors work so well together.

In my 18th Centruy gown on Saturday, attending Costume Con 34 in Madison, Wisconsin. What fun that was. The costumes worn for Hall costumes and competition were AMAZING!!! I also met Andrea Shewe, whose SIMPLICITY Patterns are some of the best I have seen. I also met her sister, Theresa, who designed the Steampunk patterns.

I need to alter the underskirt at the waist and regather it. It was a tad too long even with a petticoat underneath and 2 1/2" heels. The wig, I ordered from Amazon and worked perfect for this. I did my makeup in the Rococo fashion.  The 18th Century Corset from JP Ryan with straps was so comfortable.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Another 18th Century gown ensemble I just finished for an event this weekend called Wench Fest in Stillwater, Minnesota.

My next project is going to reflect the Suffragette period with a simple suit coat, skirt, Blouse, and Hat  of the early 1900's.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

On Sunday, the Bilbo Baggins Coat and Vest was picked up by my client. He brought his son with him. As soon as I showed him his items, he broke out into the biggest smile I had even seen on a kid. He was beaming ear to ear.

I used McCall's pattern 7003, the Victorian Frock coat. I cut the Small size, then lined up the size differential lines to size it down to an XSmall man. The boy is 10. I wanted the coat and Vest to be large on him so he gets several years out of it. I shortened the skirting to be just above the knees.

The fabric, a Medium Wale Corduroy, came from England. No fabric outlets in the United States had a shade of Corduroy I needed. When I opened the package, it was perfect! The Buttons for the vest came from New Zealand. They were the exact same buttons from the cast that made Martin Freeman's vest he wore in "The Hobbit"  films. All in all, dad and son were very pleased.

Dad plans to send me photos of his son all decked out with the feet he is making him to go along with the coat and vest.

Merlin the Elder

I can't find the "Like" buttons...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Trillium

That is awesome!  Fabulous job as always!
I had to try to size down the Thorin garb for my son last year, that was...errr...entertaining! :o ::)
I need to find a pic and post it...
Got faerie dust?

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The finished Buchannan Dress. I just love the Simplicity OUTLANDER pattern. There are so many possibilities to it for an array of clothing. I have a chemise and Corset already made that I wear with my other 18th Century garb. THis dress is going to be worn for the Irish Penny Brigade gathering at the Bristol Renaissance Festival this coming weekend.

I plan to use this pattern again. The only thing I would change is when I cut the front skirt panels, go straight down rather than at an angle as the pattern piece indicates. That will make for better flow when pleated.

There are lacing rings inside the main Bodice. Though slightly visible, they look nice with the ribbon. I will pin the stomacher piece down onto my corset for better stability before I lace things up. Overall, I am pleased as to how this turned out.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Wearing the new Celtic gown based on Simplicity's OUTLANDER inspired pattern at the Bristol Renaissance Festival this past weekend. I plan more Wench/Pirate wear from this pattern.

Anyone interested in an ensemble, feel free to PM me.

I highly recommend wearing the proper undergarments under this gown. I cut a size larger than normal to accommodate just that.