News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

More and more space eaten up

Started by laedyfaire, September 03, 2009, 03:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laedyfaire

by more and more merchants and what not. I get it, growth is important..but one of the things we loved most about the NY faire was its awesome grounds...take Forest Walk..a great strip to meander through. Gave the feeling of being in the woods..now...two merchants.

Wide space by the falcons..gone....now there is the  tomato guy.

What is next? Merchants along High Road?? Ackkkk...enough already!

Just my humble opinion. LF

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: laedyfaire on September 03, 2009, 03:26:57 PM
by more and more merchants and what not. I get it, growth is important..but one of the things we loved most about the NY faire was its awesome grounds...take Forest Walk..a great strip to meander through. Gave the feeling of being in the woods..now...two merchants.

Wide space by the falcons..gone....now there is the  tomato guy.

What is next? Merchants along High Road?? Ackkkk...enough already!

Just my humble opinion. LF

I actually kind of like the Tomato guy being in the back, because to some, he was REALLY annoying at the front where people are all coming in.

One of the first impressions someone gets walking into the faire is being called a loser by that guy! My first visit to the Faire I came with Ana as you remember - I used to avoid that area ( and subsequently, the merchants around him ) so that he wouldn't spot us to make his jokes. She couldn't stand him. I know that was his goal, of course, but it might be too caustic to have right away when you wander in your first time.    Now in the back, he is a bit more in his "own space" so to speak so you don't really get in his path unless you actually walk over there.

As for the rest, yeah kind of agree, it was nice having some areas that were free of commercial ventures.  I enjoyed the quiet forest walks to get away from the crowds and hawkers, if only for a few minutes.

But like you said, growth, and more importantly, tis a small price to pay to keep the Faire in business another season.   I'd be much sadder if they had to shut down due to lack of business.

Lets hope the other road stays clear  :P

laedyfaire

hi bob..yeah..totally agree about the tomato guy being in the front was bad. BUT..he is a new add on anyway, and personally, I think it is pointless to have any tomato guy at a renfaire.

this is our 13th season going and it had been magical. now, it feels more and more like any other fair...notice..no e at the end!

sometimes less is more.

growth does not guarantee success either. if every spare inch of the ren grounds is covered with booths and hawkers, it might have a negative effect.

again, just mho!

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: laedyfaire on September 04, 2009, 05:23:59 AM
hi bob..yeah..totally agree about the tomato guy being in the front was bad. BUT..he is a new add on anyway, and personally, I think it is pointless to have any tomato guy at a renfaire.

this is our 13th season going and it had been magical. now, it feels more and more like any other fair...notice..no e at the end!

sometimes less is more.

growth does not guarantee success either. if every spare inch of the ren grounds is covered with booths and hawkers, it might have a negative effect.

again, just mho!

I wish I had gotten involved earlier, it seems like I missed some great times in the "old days". 2008 being my first, maybe it's a blessing - in that I don't have those memories to plague me  ;)

I'd love to see some benches along those forested areas though - it would be nice to sit in the shade and rest a minute or two! 

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

We only visit NYRF one day each season, as our schedule usualy does not provide  more time.  However, I've been there off and on again over 12 years.   What a big difference from even last year to this. A walk around the shire this year seemed like they have stuck a vendor or game of chance in to every nook and cranny, while the number and dare I say it the quality of the entertainment seems to have diminished.  THese are , though hard times for all faires, and increased vendor fees and decreased costs for acts is one way management can stave off the wolves at the door. It is to be hoped that these are temporary measures.  As a seasoned patron ( and performer) I can resist the tempations of both booth and game, but I pitied the families with young children in tow - the cases of screaming gimmees abounded!

NYFR is a BEAUTIFUL faire and is one of the jewels of the East coast faire circuit, but ....
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724