News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Opening weekend photo's

Started by Spanky, May 22, 2008, 11:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master James

AWESOME pics as usual my friend!  Love to see some more!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

aidenoffairfax

I love the fact that you can see the raindrops in the picture of Lord Aston... that's a REALLY cool effect. Great pics. Oh, and the pics of Darren's truck with tape is a blast...
Please go ahead and clear your throats... the hack has arrived!

SirBlackFox

Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

reese

Thank you so much, those are really good...and some I would have not taken with the same intent *snort*. 

Reese  ;D

~pixie~

SirBlackFox~

I am the subject of your pic entitled "HotWench2".  I am certain you and many others have now had a good laugh at your caption, but I found no humor in it and would like to ask you kindly to pull that from publication on the board.  Perhaps you felt confident that that girl would not be a member of this forum, or more likely didn't think at all before posting such a comment.  I attend faire both days every weekend and would rather not continue to be the butt of your bodice joke.

In advance, I thank you.
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF
aka: Gold'n Penny
Irish Penny Brigade - Clan White

reese

Pixie, I wouldn't have considered your picture a joke, nor the comment made a joke.  You are very lovely, and I suppose from a male's point of view "hot" aka "sexy". I can see how you are a woman that can turn heads.  I interpret the captions  (and only Sir B.F. can stand behind his words)  as only meaning to be a compliment, not a joke and certainly not to degrade you. 

I don't know how often he comes to the VA board, so it may not change for a bit.  I, for one, would never laugh at someone being called beautiful, and frankly envy you just a bit, but in a good way.  My snicker was more that I  wouldn't take pictures with the eye of thinking something/one is "sexy".  I could have easily taken the same picture, but my intent would have been more of a, 'wow, she's beautiful'. 

Reese

lowlandscot

Reese,

While I don't have any intention of getting into the particulars of this situation: it is very, very important that people who publish photos, whether on the Internet or elsewhere, be sensitive to the wishes of the people appearing in those photos, and take them out of circulation immediately on request. Because if they don't, we may end up with a regime where you have to explicitly obtain permission before showing a photo anywhere, which would be a big big drag for people like Spanky and my husband, who take hundreds of pictures at Ren Faires. With that in mind, perhaps someone who knows Sir Black Fox should alert him that there is a problem with his photo album that he needs to rectify.

And people who object to having their image displayed should not ever be made to feel like they are whining or taking things too seriously for insisting that it be removed. And they should not have to supply reasons; the simple request should be enough.

I do not object to anyone posting a photo of me on Flickr or a similar forum. I would have a problem with someone posting to YouTube a video of my performance without clearing it with me first. I might, for instance, be playing a piece for which I have received live performace permissions but not rebroadcast permissions, in which case a YouTube video would be infringing someone's copyright. (This hasn't happened to me -- at least not yet -- but it has happened to people I know.) As long as everyone's courteous we can maintain an environment that allows for sharing all the images and sounds we love about faire, without breaking laws or inviting lawsuits or -- worse, from my point of view -- ending up with a bunch of stifling regulations from forum and photo hosts reluctant to expose themselves to legal problems.

Scotsman

I will contact SBF and make him aware of the situation.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

reese

L&S,

While I so agree with you whole heartedly, it wasn't my intent to make her feel like she was whining.
I didn't want Pixie to think anyone was laughing at her, and I see no reason for anyone to be laughing at her and I didn't interpret Sir B.F. as doing that either. 

Seeing as how I don't know Sir B.F.  I don't know the best and quickest way to contact him to let him know of her discomfort.  I'm glad someone does and has/will do so, though. 

I don't dress up and hide behind the camera because I don't want my image posted either (mine is more for self-concious reasons), so I understand her concern.

A lot, not all, of the time I do ask permission to take pictures, and I hope people understand that their image can get on the internet.  IN the same, if someone didnt' want their picture/video up on net, I would take it off if I did post it and they asked me, no problem.   

NOW, when I do get all the video I did from last and this year handed over to VARF, it'll be up to them to decide how all is distributed.  Then it'll be through them one will have to request de-posting.  I don't have the capability of posting video to internet, although I wish I did...it would make it easier for those I know want their stuff out there, and cheeper for me.  VHS's add up after awhile, esp. when I'm putting one perfomance on one tape and mailing it out to a specific group, or person, for them to decide what is to be done with the video.  This is why I only send out copies only if specifically asked, or offered.  For instance, Tom and Heathers proposal...they have a copy and when they have time will post it to the internet.  Or a special perfomance by Pirates for Sail for our Queen, I made arrangements to send out the video to them and they can do with it as they please. 

So in short, it wasn't my intent to have someone feel lesser or that they shouldn't ask to have their image removed if they don't want it there.  It's also not my intent to make this out into an issue so posting pictures and video will cause problems for the forum or individuals. 

Reese

~pixie~

Wow. 

Thanks to everyone who has been so kind regarding my request to have the pic removed.  Maybe if he'd just take the caption off of it, I'd feel alot better.

Of course I was flattered a bit at first with the title of the pic, who wouldn't be?! And, I don't mind my image posted here on the board at all, it was just the caption that got me.  When you look at the first -and very lovely- (HotWench1) and read the caption, then the second (mine) and read the caption... well, I guess it just struck me as derogatory.  Maybe it's the fact that there's no audio involved that left it open for (mis)interpretation.

I surely don't want to be the cause of some big rule about posting pics in this forum...that's what part of the fun is.  Just maybe we can all be a bit mindful in choosing titles and captions.   

Thanks again y'all. 

~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF

aidenoffairfax

Pixie... glad we could help. See you at the faire... just ask for the poet Thomas Meehan... I'll be the one with the easy to recognise prop!

troubadude

Pixie:

I've probably known you as long as anyone on the board, and the number 2 could only have been a sequential numbering of pics, not a rating, 'cause you are definitely one beautiful woman and an even more very beautiful person.  

Love ya,

Tom
Troubadude
if music be the food of love, play on!

aidenoffairfax

and by recognise, I mean recognize. Darn spell check! AAH!

Lady de la Warr

Pixie, I don't think I know you (maybe we'll meet this Saturday?), but from the picture we are discussing you are a lovely lady indeed. I'm sure if asked, Sir Black Fox would be more than happy to change and/or remove the caption for you.

This way it will allow everyone to enjoy your lovely picture and will allow you to be more comfortable with having it posted.

If that is agreeable to you I'm sure Scotsman would pass on this idea to him so he can get to that caption immediately  :)

Hope to see you at faire!

~pixie~

Thank you, Tom.  It's not the number 2 though, it's the caption.. well, 'nuff of that.

And yes, m'Lady that is certainly agreeable. I'm sure he will.

I can pretty much always be found at the pub.  The music is  my absolute favourite part of faire.  Master Will came by on opening day as I was spreading out the table cover and said, "we have our first squatter." 
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF

Feline Groovy

Quote from: aidenoffairfax on June 11, 2008, 03:33:14 PM

And that, sirrah, is why you are a hack!   ;D
Where was I going and how do I get there?

aidenoffairfax

Figures... it would be the scribe that attacks back! AAH! Be ready for a battle of words, and let's hope I don't get tongue tied in the process... as I seem to on a daily basis. You ready for this weekend?

~pixie~

Quote from: aidenoffairfax on June 11, 2008, 03:33:14 PM

Ahh, but do not chastise yourself, Sir, as your first spelling was also correct! 

Dictionary.com:
Also, especially British, rec·og·nise. [Origin: 1425–75; recogn(ition) + -ize; r. late ME racunnysen, recognisen < OF reconuiss-, s. blah blah blah.  you got it.
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF

troubadude

Pixie:

I'm sorry, I hadn't looked at the pics & quotes until just now, and I can see how you could be offended.   Again, I'm so sorry for the poor choice of words. 

You are one of the sweetest & most beautiful people I know and you never cease to amaze me with your sweetness and your beauty! 

I hope he changes the verbage soon! 

Tom
Troubadude

Feline Groovy

Quote from: aidenoffairfax on June 11, 2008, 05:12:29 PM
You ready for this weekend?

Ready, willing, and able!  (And suffering mixed feelings -- yay for getting my weekends back, boo for losing faire. *sigh*  )
Where was I going and how do I get there?

aidenoffairfax

Point well taken Pixie! YAY for spelling!

Oh, and I agree feline... excited for the weekend because I know the energy will be insane, but sad to see it go. Already prepping for next year though, so life is good.

will paisley

Quote from: Feline Groovy on June 11, 2008, 09:41:07 PM
Quote from: aidenoffairfax on June 11, 2008, 05:12:29 PM
You ready for this weekend?

Ready, willing, and able!  (And suffering mixed feelings -- yay for getting my weekends back, boo for losing faire. *sigh*  )

Don't forget PARF, and MDRF, and CRF - by the time all that's over you'll be worrying about Christmas shopping.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

aidenoffairfax

And then after Christmas shopping, it's almost time for auditions again! WOW! It's like a vicious cycle... whoo!

troubadude

Quote from: aidenoffairfax on June 12, 2008, 08:53:52 AM
And then after Christmas shopping, it's almost time for auditions again! WOW! It's like a vicious cycle... whoo!
On Saturday, I'm going to make a very special effort to help out all who are worried about Christmas shopping. 

I will have copies of TomLori's last CD "Angus X-ing" with me Saturday.  It's an awsome recording of great Celtic music, you can't help but tap your foot (feet), smile, and even giggle when you listen to it!   Head-banging is an option too, though not highly recommended

They serve as great Christmas gifts, don't forget about Father's Day on Sunday, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Bat Mitzvahs, Mother's Day (next year), Thanksgiving, New Years, Valentines Day . . . 

Just a blatant, unsolicited plug for TomLori's "Angus X-ing" cd! 

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself!  But I'll have some of those cd's available this weekend! 

I've even been told they might make pretty good coasters & miniature frisbies!  Buy one & try it! 

Tom
Troubadude