News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wigs?

Started by Jon Foster, July 12, 2009, 02:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Foster

So where can I get decent looking wigs at a fair price? I may need one for the new costume my wife is making for me...

Jon.

Sir William Marcus

I wouldn't mind investing in one for a Nordic kit I've been piecing together.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Taffy Saltwater

Let me suggest that you purchase wigs locally.  I've found reasonably priced wigs in shops that sell hair extensions for women of color.  The wigs I've purchased by mail have tended to be small. 
Sveethot!

Jon Foster

What type of local shops would carry wigs? I'm actually looking for something I can use for the ren fest but I would also like to pick up a few for some photography shoots as well.

Jon.

Sitara

Just look up wigs, hair extensions, or beauty supply stores in the phone book.  I would recommend calling first to verify that they carried something like what you are looking for.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Master James

This is where I got the wig for my FOP costume: http://www.paulayoung.com/  They have great wigs and many are $50 or less.  They were also very quick in getting my wig to me and I've been quite happy with it.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

VIII

I can not stress enough how much better a real-hair wig looks from a fake one.  They cost much, much more, but you should at least consider it.  Real hair is washable, style-able, and breathes better than fake.  Ask yourself, how often will I wear it?  What is the look I am trying to achieve?  Is it worth the cost/work/grief?

I play a dead pirate at ScreamS, so a fake-hair wig is sufficient for me.  If I had to wear it during the day, without horror make-up, I would seriously consider investing in a real-hair wig.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

WOW!! VIII !!! I would not have recognized you!!!

I am in the market for  more authentic looking 18th Century wigs than what can be found via Lacy Wigs out of New York to go with my Duchess of Devonshire ensembles I have planned to make.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

FortuneRose

Places like Sallys and the such tend to be very expensive.  But if you can locate a store specifically for weaves, clip extensions, wigs, dye and the such...  they tend to run cheaper. In the past I have purchased BEAUTIFUL wigs and extensions when my hair was very short from the Asian and African American Hair Supply stores.  The good ones in my area tend to be more downtown.  AND, the plus side to those stores are the fact that you can start by picking out a beautiful wig or hair piece and then (if natural human hair) later dye it to the color that you need or matches you.  Plus you can style it with product and heat and it won't melt.
LLVW

Jon Foster

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them all.

I stopped by a couple of costume shops this week and they didn't have anything I would actually put on my dog let alone my head.

Jon.

ferrissteve1

I used to work at a costume shop in high school and all I can say is spend the money and go for real hair wigs.  The synthetics are simply NO match for the real deal.