News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

WARNING!

Started by Master James, September 09, 2009, 10:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master James

I hate to be such a downer after such a faboulus weekend but I thought it was important to put this out there so that others don't have to deal with it.  It was reported to me that evidently the jerks that think its fun to put stuff in people's drinks are back again.   >:(  From what I'm told by his lady a friend of mine was at the Dragon during the last hour and only had 1 or 2 drinks and then they left at the end of faire.  All was fine until they got home and he went to do something and went face first onto the floor and stopped breathing.  According to her this happened 5 more times during the night.  Thank god she was there and was able to revive him.  The only thing she can think of is that someone slipped something into his drink at the Dragon during that last hour.  She did report it to the police but still, PLEASE watch each other's drinks at the Dragon so that this doesn't happen to you.  Hopefully they will catch this person or persons and throw them in jail where they belong and get them out of our faire for good!  >:(
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Scotsman

Holy sheeps buttocks! This sucks!

Man, I would love to catch someone doing this ... it would take the jaws of life and 12 firemen to get both my Sandlers outta their ... A@@
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Amras Elfwine

If this happens to any of you my friends, please don't stay at home, go immediately to an emergency room for proper care...plus, a documented tox-screen is the only way the police will stay interested...
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

RSLeask

... well, they'll certainly stay interested if it happens to me, since I'd probably be traveling the Beltway at the time it hit, and said tox screen would be part of an autopsy.  :-X

And Scotsman, I'll be right there with you.  Messing with someone's tankard is the worst offense.  Answerable with severe beatings.  Especially when it involves this kind of thing.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Lady de la Warr

Yes, I was told the same thing Master James - I believe by the same lady who told you. This is a real shame.

People - be very careful. Do NOT set your drink down any where and if you do and take your eyes off it - even for a second, pour out the contents and get a new drink. And NEVER take your tankard/goblet from someone you don't know who may hand it to you and drink any of the contents. Again, pour it out and get a new one. While it's a real shame to waste a "good" ale/mead, you are better safe than sorry.

And I agree - they'd better not let any of us catch them in the act. I'm afraid there won't be much left for the police to arrest.

Cherry'n M'Crack

That is absolutely awful.  Cannot go anywhere and have a great time without someone putting a damper on the day.  Cover the cups!!
Cherry'n M'Crack
O'Morda Clan
MDRF

Lady Neysa

This is despicable.  It can't be true ren folk that are doing this.  At least I'd like to think its not....be careful everyone. 

RSLeask

Oi, if they were, God have mercy on them, because we sure as hell wouldn't.  But no, can't see them being true rennies either.  I don't think anyone of us in the crowd here would possibly be that stupid.

~pixie~

News travels quickly, as this kind should.  I heard the same thig yesterday evening at the White Hart.  Even though the initial event took place at the Dragon, the advice shared by others thus far would apply in all places, not just at one pub. 

There's got to be one @ss in every bunch, and hopefully, we'll find this one and be shed of them quickly! 

In the style of Jerry Springer...Please, take care of your goblet, and, each other.
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF
aka: Gold'n Penny
Irish Penny Brigade - Clan White

RSLeask

Quote from: ~pixie~ on September 14, 2009, 09:43:02 AM
News travels quickly, as this kind should.  I heard the same thig yesterday evening at the White Hart.  Even though the initial event took place at the Dragon, the advice shared by others thus far would apply in all places, not just at one pub. 

There's got to be one @ss in every bunch, and hopefully, we'll find this one and be shed of them quickly! 

In the style of Jerry Springer...Please, take care of your goblet, and, each other.

That's actually pretty funny, cuz we work that around a little...

and hopefully, we'll find this one and be shed of them quickly, in the style of Jerry Springer!

But yes, a very good sentiment.  Keep your eyes on each other's drin... hey.  Hey!  Scotsman!  I said eyes, not hands!

BCH

Hopefully faire management and their security staff will get a handle on it sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately there seems to be a bit of the undesireable element beginning to lurk at MDRF. My wife and I have been long term faire goers at MDRF, it has been our favorite faire well worth the 3+ hr drive and expenses for the weekend; it was a bit disappointing to watch ill disguised pandering last year right in the open with money changing hands, not once but many times over the course of the day in one particular spot.

My biggest concern is for the children attending the faire; especially if Mickey's are being put into drinks.

Scotsman

First, I feel this incident does not reflect on the faire or its management. As for the your comment "undesirable element" - I would appreciate if you expanded on that. What you just did I like to call a hit and run and frankly is not fair.

Friend, you cant just drop in with 4 posts to your name, drop a bomb without expanding on it and then jog away like that.

My opinion is that MDRF Security, Staff and Management do a phenomenal job putting out a great, safe, entertaining product for adults, kids and families alike.

Also remember that this type of thing (if in fact it did happen) is a reflection of one idiot ... not faire. And further it can happen at ANY faire, bar, pub, club, etc ... in the country.

Please.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

BCH

Scotsman,
"you cant just drop in with 4 posts to your name, drop a bomb without expanding on it"

okay, fair enough..

If this was an isolated incident, I would not have mentioned it at all.

During the Celtic/Scottish Weekend July of  2008, at the White Hart Tavern a "gentleman" collected money ($20 each time) from other "gentlemen" in exchange for coping a feel from the young ladies with him; licking ice off of their breasts; and/or taking a photograph. This group was at the White Hart on Saturday every time we stopped back for a drink or to catch the entertainment at the White Hart, thus I do not consider the behavior to be isolated but rather flagrant. (isolated to a single day perhaps..)

One of the other 'undesirable elements' was the man who was abusing the woman he was with (shoved and struck), also at the White Hart. On Sunday we avoided the White Hart almost entirely, especially when we noted that some of the same people were still frequenting the place. In retrospect, we should have sought out security on Saturday and if we observe the same behavior this year we will do so.

Had the warning of what happened at the Dragon not been mentioned here, there would have been no post from me on what we observed last year, as my wife and I were hoping it was not a common occurrence.  While I realize that the Dragon incident may not have been totally substantiated, the news of it with what my wife and I observed last year is disturbing and caused my wife to consider whether or not to continue to attend. That is a strong reaction from people who have attended MDRF almost yearly from the early '90's and frankly recommend attending MDRF to everyone who is considering going to a RennFaire for the first time.

This is now my 30th year in the Public Safety sector, I am well ware that "it can happen at ANY faire, bar, pub, club, etc ... in the country." I am also aware that unless what is observed is reported, a small segment of society will put a damper on events for the rest.

As a monitor here, I believe you have the ability to contact me 'offline' so to speak; feel free to do so, if you want to discuss this further or in more detail. My intent was not to disparage MDRF, but rather make people aware that the Dragon incident of this year unfortunately may not be isolated in regards to behavior not acceptable at the faire or anywhere else for that matter.

sir oswyn dagworth

I really hate to see these types of things happen as they conflict with the aura of faire. Faire is a place to go and be happy, forget your worries, or become someone else for awhile. Unfortunately, some take it to another level, one which puts others in danger for sport. Many have posted previous to me with good tips that I echo. I would also add that if you see anything out of the ordinary like someone getting violent, acting strange, or has obviously had his/her fill then report it to security or at least another faire worker. You can also go to the information booth which is at the beginning of faire just before the maypole and glass blower. MDRF staff take security very seriously I can assure you.

It's hard to serve alcohol and keep everyone totally policed at the same time. Unfortunately, alcohol is the root of many indecent actions.
Smack'n M"Crack
Oculus Nox Clan O'Patrick
Prince Oswyn Dagworth consort to Anne Queen of Denmark

Tiggeress

Quote from: BCH on September 17, 2009, 10:07:38 AM
Scotsman,
"you cant just drop in with 4 posts to your name, drop a bomb without expanding on it"

okay, fair enough..

If this was an isolated incident, I would not have mentioned it at all.

During the Celtic/Scottish Weekend July of  2008, at the White Hart Tavern a "gentleman" collected money ($20 each time) from other "gentlemen" in exchange for coping a feel from the young ladies with him; licking ice off of their breasts; and/or taking a photograph. This group was at the White Hart on Saturday every time we stopped back for a drink or to catch the entertainment at the White Hart, thus I do not consider the behavior to be isolated but rather flagrant. (isolated to a single day perhaps..)

One of the other 'undesirable elements' was the man who was abusing the woman he was with (shoved and struck), also at the White Hart. On Sunday we avoided the White Hart almost entirely, especially when we noted that some of the same people were still frequenting the place. In retrospect, we should have sought out security on Saturday and if we observe the same behavior this year we will do so.

Had the warning of what happened at the Dragon not been mentioned here, there would have been no post from me on what we observed last year, as my wife and I were hoping it was not a common occurrence.  While I realize that the Dragon incident may not have been totally substantiated, the news of it with what my wife and I observed last year is disturbing and caused my wife to consider whether or not to continue to attend. That is a strong reaction from people who have attended MDRF almost yearly from the early '90's and frankly recommend attending MDRF to everyone who is considering going to a RennFaire for the first time.

This is now my 30th year in the Public Safety sector, I am well ware that "it can happen at ANY faire, bar, pub, club, etc ... in the country." I am also aware that unless what is observed is reported, a small segment of society will put a damper on events for the rest.

As a monitor here, I believe you have the ability to contact me 'offline' so to speak; feel free to do so, if you want to discuss this further or in more detail. My intent was not to disparage MDRF, but rather make people aware that the Dragon incident of this year unfortunately may not be isolated in regards to behavior not acceptable at the faire or anywhere else for that matter.

As you say this happened at the White Hart in July of 2008, I do not beleive it happened as MDRF is not open in July.