News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New to Garbing

Started by pyrate3, May 22, 2008, 05:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyrate3

I hope you don't think these are silly questions, I am so new to all this. But for someone just wanting to be more in the spirit, not really playing a character or anything, are the things you find on ebay suitable for most faires? I don't mean the cheesy "costumes", but a basic chemise, bodice, skirt type outfit that people are making and selling on ebay. And the black, white, red theme for pyrates, opinions? Oh yeah, and what the heck does one wear to a Fairy Festival? I would truly appreciate any advice you may have.

Debbie
in OH

Lady Antoinette

I have a question, what constitutes a "cheesey" costume?

sealion

The basic chemise, skirt, and bodice from ebay are perfect beginner garb. That's what I started out with.  The fun part is shopping the fair vendors for the bits and pieces that make your garb uniquely you. :)
A "cheesy" costume would be a Party City Halloween costume.  ;D
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

pyrate3

I'm sorry if my term "cheesy costume" didn't come out right. I only meant the more halloween type of costume.

Debbie
in OH

{moderator} "cheesy" is a PERFECT word and most of us do understand it. {/moderator}

TKM

women at fairy festivals, or who dress as fae at a renfest, wear very cute clothing, if you ask me. i'm sure you could find pics to give you a good idea, but it's all very colorful and decorative, they usually have a lot of face paint and of course costume wings. a couple years ago at KCRF, the barbarians kidnapped all the faeries and dragged them into the forest. it was quite a show.

pyrate3

Thanks sealion and TKM, I think I am getting some good ideas. I just kind of want to experiment a bit and see what I like, what fun!

TKM

if you really like experimenting and having fun with garbing/character design, don't be at all afraid to lean more towards the fantasy side of the garb (unless, of course, you go to a faire that is extremely anal about historical accuracy). fantasy and imagination always usher in the most fun with garbing and the faire.

Lady Antoinette

I thought that's what you meant, I'm a little paranoid that my garb is "cheesy"

NoBill Lurker

Another thing to remember is to look for items in natural fibers as it'll be alot more comfy to wear!
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

TKM

yes, that's another extremely important tip. i'm still looking for a good pair of cotton faire pants, since the pair i have now is of polyester and it really chafes when i start to sweat. so yeah.... natural fibers. materials that breate.

pyrate3

Oooh good tip about the natural fibers, I did read that somewhere. But I hadn't been paying a lot of attention to the fabrics when "shopping". Now I definitely will.

beeboy

there's actually a vendor whose booth name is Natural Fiber Clothing, or something of the like.  I don't know much about it, but I know they were at Florida Renaissance Festival.  I'll repost if I find their website

LadyOren

Main thing is to have fun, if you like it and it's comfy then wear it.  I've seen lots of fairys and adore the uniqueness of each costume.  If you wanted to be specific, narrow your idea down to typw of fairy  ie:  woodland, flower, nome, pixy, animal type, there's so much you can do with a great imagination.  Have Fun! and post pics too  :D
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

isabelladangelo

I'd be careful about buying a bodice on ebay unless you are very sure about your measurements and how you want the bodice to fit.  A simple cotton (muslin) chemise and a simple long skirt are both great beginners sewing projects.  However, either of those are also easy to find on Etsy or Ebay without many problems.   The problem I've found with people who are unsure about garb when it comes to bodices is they aren't sure how a bodice should fit and don't get why everyone else isn't terribly uncomfortable after two hours of play. (: 
Try on a few bodices at faire first.  See what styles you like and feel comfortable to you.  You can still buy online but, by trying on a few first, you'll be making a better decision for yourself.   Also, always remember to measure around the fullest part of your bust and at your natural waist without squishing to get your correct measurements for a bodice.  A bodice's measurements should be at least two inches smaller in the bust than your own bust measurement.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I suggest making or purchasing a pair of cotton bloomers to prevent "ren rash."  Down to the knee is a good length to wear under a skirt, and leave the bottom open, as opposed to elastic, so air can get in and circulate.  If you've ever walked around at a faire in terribly, terribly hot weather, these are life savers.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich