News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Oops. I'm not at faire"

Started by ladylissame, September 14, 2009, 09:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylissame

I thought this would make an interesting discussion.
What was your "Oops, I'm not at faire" moment?

I shall share 2 from others.

For awhile, our captain worked on the grill at a local flea market. One of his first few days he ended up yelling out "Come get your steaks! The tastiest thing you will ever put in your mouth!" As soon as he said it, he realized that it probably wasn't the best thing to say there. The boss was not amused. Luckily, he wasn't fired for that.

This past weekend, the rogue and I were at the bank withdrawing money for faire. We ran into a friend and was chatting with her in line about faire and said how it is more of family friendly type there. She asked "What is so family friendly about boobs up and out to here?" My rogue replied with "Simple. Kids will see them and think food and get hungry" The people behind us (all women) were chuckling. He realized what he said and where he was and apologized.

So give us yours.

CelticOne

I think the worst I've done so far is slipping into faire-speak when training new team members in at work. Its kinda funny when I do it cause they just have this look on thier faces that says what did she just say?
The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.

Lady Rosaline

I today while at work (a bar) I slipped into "Fae mode" when I saw that someone apparently broke a necklace last night. There were small crystal beads all over the floor. I was contently bouncing around the bar room saying OOHH LOOK SHINEY and such things while picking up the beads, when one of my customers asked if I lost my mind. lol. Luckily my boss is also a rennie and could explain my "odd" behavior.
I'm the reason the rum is gone! (Unless Teach is near by!)

Lady L

I have said, "huzzah" on occasion and people look at me and ask what that means.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Elennare

I say "huzzah" all the time.  :)

Not really an oops, though, as I know very well I'm not a faire.  I just think it sounds better than "hooray." (or however that's spelled...)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

bellevivre

even without drink, i have the urge to break out into "No Balls at All" or The Moose Song" whenever I'm feeling particularly chipper.

Oh, and it was hard for me to not break into "Scotland the Depraved" whilst on our trip to Scotland this year... lol yeaaaahhh...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

RumbaRue

I say 'arrrrrgghhhh' all the time (even before any POTC movies), and people just ignore me. :D
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Dinobabe

I was happy to find out that huzzah is a very acceptable term at Civil War reenactments!

I tend to wear one of my ren hats around the house or outside.  Luckily, we have cool neighbors!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Jinglebum

Quote from: bellevivre on September 15, 2009, 11:29:18 AM
even without drink, i have the urge to break out into "No Balls at All" or The Moose Song" whenever I'm feeling particularly chipper.

Oh, and it was hard for me to not break into "Scotland the Depraved" whilst on our trip to Scotland this year... lol yeaaaahhh...

Ahahaha yes... :D I have a tendency to do that quite a bit on occasion... >>;; But, me being the shy girl I am and all, I have a tendency to burst into song (especially ones like that... and stuff from avenue q. XD) in the middle of parking lots, at the mall, out in public...

I also have a tendency to say "huzzah!" instead of "hooray" or "yay!" haha
Oh... Shiny!

Seryn

My friends would all say I'm "inappropriate" anyway, so I don't think any moment for me is an oops moment lol.  Or rather, most of them would be oops moments to people who think before they speak lol

I do say "huzzah" frequently.  Also, a port-a-privy is ALWAYS a port-a-privy, even if we're at a concert, a wrestling event, a non-ren faire, a flea market...
Seryn
Gndecent Gnomie
Master Baiter on the HSI
Seryn of Chaos

Bugsy

While at the faire hanging around cast members, every couple of minutes you need to step aside when a patron asks for their photo.  Step aside, wait for the flash, then rejoin your friend and continue your conversation.

Out at a restaurant with an Albannach, the hostess walked up to tell us our table was ready ...... and I stepped aside.  Waiting for a camera flash.  The hostess made a comment about his tee in admiration then said "right this way folks".  Doh!  I took a big step forward to follow them both hoping no one would notice how far back I was standing.
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

LadySeasan

Going into Victoria's Secret-stating to the clerk:

"Hello good lady, I need a bodice that will lift and push my bosom up while sucking my stomach in"

She had no idea what a bodice was....
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

Nyneve

Reaching down the front of my shirt and "fluffing" in public.   Boy - do I get some interesting looks when that happens! LOL!   :o
I cannot believe in a God who does not Dance -Freidrich Nietzsche
The curve is more powerful than the Sword  -Mae West

Lady Rosaline

Quote from: Nyneve on September 23, 2009, 10:56:45 AM
Reaching down the front of my shirt and "fluffing" in public.   Boy - do I get some interesting looks when that happens! LOL!   :o

lol I've done that also. It does attract some strange looks.
I'm the reason the rum is gone! (Unless Teach is near by!)

Elizabeth Talbot, Countess of Shrewsbury

One time I was at work and my boss gave me a task (an order) and before she walked away I started to bow. Luckily I caught myself as I dipped my head, because she would have probably slapped me silly.  :D
Castleteer
IWG #3880/IWG Local #77
Wandering Pirate
Endearing Noble

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: LadySeasan on September 22, 2009, 07:03:45 PM

"Hello good lady, I need a bodice that will lift and push my bosom up while sucking my stomach in"

I went into my local Victoria's Secret and told the saleslady I needed a bra that was capable of fluffing, and she knew what I meant!  She said, "lots of ladies buy this kind to wear to a Renaissance Faire."  And then she said, "that's where you're going, isn't it?"

I was so impressed that I bought the bra.  And yes, it definitely is a fluffer.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

LadyShadow

I would have bought it too if she knew exactly what you were talking about.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Queen Genevieve

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on September 24, 2009, 06:45:48 PM
Quote from: LadySeasan on September 22, 2009, 07:03:45 PM

I went into my local Victoria's Secret and told the saleslady I needed a bra that was capable of fluffing, and she knew what I meant!  She said, "lots of ladies buy this kind to wear to a Renaissance Faire."  And then she said, "that's where you're going, isn't it?"

I was so impressed that I bought the bra.  And yes, it definitely is a fluffer.
Quote from: LadyShadow on September 25, 2009, 10:48:40 AM
I would have bought it too if she knew exactly what you were talking about.
Which one did you buy?
Queen Genevieve

Queen Genevieve

I talk to everyone.  while dropping my kids off at school the other day I started chatting with some children.  My daughter said, "Mom, you are not the Duchess here, when you talk to kids they just think you are some creapy old lady".  OOPS
Queen Genevieve

Lady Kett

Quote from: Brianna on September 25, 2009, 12:23:36 PM
I talk to everyone.  while dropping my kids off at school the other day I started chatting with some children.  My daughter said, "Mom, you are not the Duchess here, when you talk to kids they just think you are some creapy old lady".  OOPS

You can use this to your advantage as they get older! I have found the threat of public embarassment works wonders!!!!

Ok, back on topic now....I say "AAARRRR!" a lot at work. They all think I'm stark raving mad. I like it that way, actually.