News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

my silver turned bluepurple

Started by lady M, September 16, 2009, 12:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lady M

Help please. Can someone tell me how to remove tarnish from silver? I don't want to purchase professional tarnish removing chemicals at the store. Would like a home remedy if possible.

Taffy Saltwater

If it's plain w/no deep engraving, line a large glass bowl or pan w/aluminum foil shiney side up, place your silver in it.  Carefully cover w/boiling water & add a couple of heaping tablespoons of baking soda & swirl around.  Say goodbye to the tarnish.
Sveethot!

sealion

I'm not an advocate of using harsh chemical tarnish removers on jewelry. Your best choice is a polishing cloth from your local jeweler. If you can't go buy a polishing cloth toothpaste (not gel and preferrably not a whitening formula) can be used.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

ladylissame

The toothpaste works rather well. I have used it several times myself when in a pinch.

Angus

...toothpaste, I use Colgate paste.
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Auryn

any particular toothpaste recommended for tarnish in grooves??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Taffy Saltwater

If you want the grooves completely cleaned out, I recommend the foil/water/soda application above.  If you want the dark areas, then no.
Sveethot!

Hoowil

Don't use a whitening toothpaste, the bleaching agents can turn the metal black. baking sod treatments work. But I agree, a polishing cloth would be pretty much ideal. You should be able to get one from any jeweler who sells silver, or from a jewelry supply/lapidary, or online. They are fairly cheap, and last pretty much forever.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

irish boy

Quote from: Auryn on September 21, 2009, 01:33:09 PM
any particular toothpaste recommended for tarnish in grooves??

Crest seems to work the best. Because it has low abrasives, it doesn't sratch the metal. I've used Crest and a soft bristle tooth brush to clean jewelry and coins I found metal detecting. They come out looking almost good as new.

Irish Boy (Gentleman John Blackpoole Landshark #49)

Lady Gryphon

You can get a silver polishing cloth in the jewelry section of Wal-mart.  Another cleaner to try is Bonami.  It has a Feldspar base instead of a Silica base so it's softer. Just a couple of suggestions.

Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?