News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Lacing

Started by Lady Anne Clare, May 22, 2008, 10:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Anne Clare

What's the best type of lacing to use for lacing stays and a bodice?

I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be using.  I want something strong but also something that won't come undone easily.

Any help on this is most appreciated :)
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

Baroness Doune

I use poly pro corset lacing for corsets.  It is meant for Victorian corsets, so it is really heavy duty.  I purchase it from Grannd Companies.

Grannd also carries cotton corset lacing which, if purchased in the white, could be dyed to match.

For my black linen bodice I used black 72 inch long shoe laces, which were doubled.

For points, I use cotton twill tape, in various widths, depending on where it will be used.  The twill tape is also purchased from Grannd Companies.

operafantomet

I often use shoe lace. They are super strong, comes in various colours and lenghts, and the ends are already prepared for lacing. You can also choose between flat and round ones. And most shoe stores carry it, so it's easy to get a gold on.

Trillium

I usually cord from wallyworld for most of my bodices and cinchers.  It's in the craft section and comes in a variety of colors.  I use leather lacing for my faerie bodice.
Got faerie dust?

DonaCatalina

I use shoe laces and ice skate laces.
The ice skate laces come in extra long lengths and a variety of colors.
http://www.icesk8.com/access8.htm

I usually just use the black, white and tan colors.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

I have one corset that laces with cotton twill tape, and I have to use a bodkin (lacing needle) to get it through the eyelets.  I have another that laces with doubled cotton shoelaces, which is really nice.

My bodices... I've used everything from silk cord to macrame cord.  The macrame cord is nice in that it's cheap and easy to find.  It stretches a little, which is one drawback (so I wouldn't use it for a corset), but if you're making bodices (emphasis on plural) it's a nice option.  It's often sold as craft cord, which I think another member mentioned.  You buy it by the skein.

Azen

I usually use cord or leather lacing.

Master James

All of these are good types of laces.  The real trick is how to lace.  M'lady and I have discovered spiral lacing and its the best way to go!  You need less lace, it holds better, is period for anyone who cares, and it quick and easy to do.  Basically you tie off one end of the lace to a bottom grommet, lacing ring, etc... and then start threading it through pulling it tight as you go.  You go straight across to the oposite grommet and then up to the next grommet on the opposite side.  Then straight across then up to the next grommet and continue pulling it tight all the way to the top.  Then take the cord and grab the laces that go from the grommets directly below the top ones and loop the end around it and then put the end of the lace through that loop you made and pull it tight.  Then do it again but this time tie a half bow (again period for those who care) and presto you are done in half the time, it doesn't slip and holds fine all day long!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

operafantomet

Quote from: Master James on May 23, 2008, 09:45:03 AM
All of these are good types of laces.  The real trick is how to lace.  M'lady and I have discovered spiral lacing and its the best way to go!  You need less lace, it holds better, is period for anyone who cares, and it quick and easy to do.  Basically you tie off one end of the lace to a bottom grommet, lacing ring, etc... and then start threading it through pulling it tight as you go.  You go straight across to the oposite grommet and then up to the next grommet on the opposite side.  Then straight across then up to the next grommet and continue pulling it tight all the way to the top.  Then take the cord and grab the laces that go from the grommets directly below the top ones and loop the end around it and then put the end of the lace through that loop you made and pull it tight.  Then do it again but this time tie a half bow (again period for those who care) and presto you are done in half the time, it doesn't slip and holds fine all day long!
I agree, spiral lacing rocks. It's so much easier to adjust as well, I think.

I guess most of you are familiar with the good article written by Jennifer Thompson - "The zen of spiral lacing"? It's informative and easy, and with visual examples. Here's the link:
http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/lacing/lacing.html

Mythrin

I found 300 feet of 1/16 round platted rope that I just love for lacing.  It was in a  farm store and I paid some 6-7 dollars.  It is not prone to snags, knotting and slides well through rings or grommets and does not stretch and the icing on the cake is that there is just enough nylon in it I can seal the ends with a lighter and that stiffens the tips. I am on a "search and find mission" for more of it.
Chris
Founding member of the Living History Company

"go Secret Squirrels"

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Mythrin on May 23, 2008, 11:17:56 AM
I found 300 feet of 1/16 round platted rope that I just love for lacing.  It was in a  farm store and I paid some 6-7 dollars.  It is not prone to snags, knotting and slides well through rings or grommets and does not stretch and the icing on the cake is that there is just enough nylon in it I can seal the ends with a lighter and that stiffens the tips. I am on a "search and find mission" for more of it.

Tractor Supply?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Home_10551_10001
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LaurenLee

I am on my way to Farm and Fleet in a couple of hours for horse sundries   :D  Will be looking for this rope, as i have several things that need laces, and my choice of satin ribbon has been ill-chosen - nothing stays tied, just slips about..!!  Thanks for the tip!

peggyelizabeth

most of the time I use a rayon cord that holds knots/bows well and also takes dye beautifully.  If I'm working with black or I have some serious cleavage to work with I go with the tough stuff: theatrical tie line. It's cotton on the outside, but a much stronger synthetic on the inside. I've also used it to tie down a tent in pretty heavy winds.

Margaret

I use grosgrain ribbon to lace up my bodices with and cotton cord for my corsets.

Personally, I like the grosgrain because it is not prone to slipping and stays nice and tight.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Lady Anne Clare

Thank you all so much.  :)

Looks like I have an excuse to go to a fabric store  :D
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Using the Alpine Lacing clasps ona  new Irish styled dress, held together with Grosgrain ribbon. Also a heavier cord would work.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Zoë

I use heavy boot laces.  Never failed me yet!   ;D
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy