News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

To garb or not to Garb?

Started by Jademozingo, September 16, 2009, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jademozingo

I am very new at all this and went to the ky highlang ren faire twice before I went in garb.  This is my first year going and was wondering if I should be in garb when I visit this saturday.  I think it is pirate weekend, I do not have pirate garb yet.  Also I was wondering about what percentage of people went to this one in garb.

Thanks
Jade

Painted Lady

Life is more fun in garb!

You will see plenty of non-pirates on pirate weekend. Scots,belly dancers,fairies,vikings and other beasties

And likewise you will get pirates on Highland fling weekend.

CapnFayeCutler

To garb or not to garb? There really ISNT any question. ;)

To Garb! Looking forward to meeting you this Saturday! Short, gold frock, black hat with way too many feathers. That's me! ;)
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Jademozingo

Right now I have very basic bodice/chemise/skirt combo.  My son ended up with the cool garb this summer, a child's leather tunic, arm cuffs, pouch, and belt.  Oh well,  I will be working on mine over the winter.  It just feels so plain because I don't have much to add to mine yet, just a belt.  I feel very underdressed.

Jade

will paisley

Quote from: Jademozingo on September 16, 2009, 06:02:34 PM
Right now I have very basic bodice/chemise/skirt combo.  My son ended up with the cool garb this summer, a child's leather tunic, arm cuffs, pouch, and belt.  Oh well,  I will be working on mine over the winter.  It just feels so plain because I don't have much to add to mine yet, just a belt.  I feel very underdressed.

Jade

Not as underdressed as you'd feel walking around in 'danes  :D

You've got a bodice.  You automatically look like you're in garb, as opposed to somebody who went through their attic rummaging for old clothes (Not That There's Anything Wrong With That®).  Only things you might want are a pouch and a mug.  Gotta put the keys someplace, and wearing garb while drinking Coke out of a paper/plastic cup kinda ruins the effect.  If you're low on cash, try checking a thrift store for an unadorned metal beer mug.  Also, if you get a chance, order an R/F pin and watch people at faire come out of nowhere and introduce themselves to you.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Pirateleach

As a young man(kid) i never wore garb.  As i grew up i decided to try garb, and have never looked back since.
I felt much more at home @ GARF than i ever had and i had been going for years.  It opened up new avenues of friendship and networking. 
Barkeep, Tavern on the Hill
Newcastle
Come have a Shandy from Andy

Painted Lady

Most Rennies  have been /making garb and accessories for years. Heck my first faire I wore a lingerie corset and the curtains. I love seeing any effort. That awkward teenaged girl in a cheap disney princess dress makes me smile just as much as the noblewomen with perfect handmade dresses.

Just like decorating your house. One piece at a time makes it really special. 

PL

Old Tinker

Quote from: Painted Lady on September 16, 2009, 07:41:36 PM
Most Rennies  have been /making garb and accessories for years. Heck my first faire I wore a lingerie corset and the curtains. I love seeing any effort. That awkward teenaged girl in a cheap disney princess dress makes me smile just as much as the noblewomen with perfect handmade dresses.

Just like decorating your house. One piece at a time makes it really special. 

PL

wise words from a good and wise Lady, hello there our Painted Lady. our best to yours, and always at thy service.
now Lady Jade, do were thy garb, and begin thee's adventure with us all.
good fortune to all,
i be the Old Tinker and his Belle...
Loveland "Castleteer"
Travel Safe, Travel Far

WindChime

collecting items for your garb is a addiction. get what you need first then work on what else you want. I don't get called WindChime for being quite ya know. At the end of ORF last year my belt weight 60 pounds. (Probally why I had to have spine surgery earlier this month) Bells are a really bad addiction for me. I am working on a lighter version of my belt so it won't bother me so much. But the most important thing is to have fun with good friends old and new no matter how you dress we will accept you with open arms.
Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

StareNorthSteve

It is pirates weekend and I will be dressed in nothing resembling a pirate. Go with what you have and shop for a mug or some other accessory to hang on your belt. That's half the fun.

Someone once described going to faire in 'danes as experiencing life in black and white. If you go in garb...the whole experience become much more colorful...and magical. (and the Guinness helps with the magical side of things too)

sns
Ale-ing Archer
Loveland Castleteer
Head-Balancer of Ale

Pirateleach

Barkeep, Tavern on the Hill
Newcastle
Come have a Shandy from Andy

Sigundo

Garb > costume > mundane clothing. I'm still in the "costume" set, but had a LOT more fun than when I went in my bermuda shorts and hawaiian flowery shirt. Had a good time then, too, but you get "picked on" a lot less at the comedy shows (unless you like being the center of attention, haha) when wearing anything but mundanes. It'll probably be two or three seasons minimal before I get fully garbed up the way I want, until then the 15 buck clearance special in the 3XL rack will do me just fine  ::)

This is my first year going, but I haven't had anybody give me grief yet over my low-end look (well, I took a LOT on the flowery shirt, in good fun, might just as well have painted a target on my back). As long as you're enjoying yourself, wear what you like... except shoes. If you have to choose between looks and comfort, go comfortable (with luck, you can find something that feels good and looks good). Shoes are the dealbreaker at faire for me, long as I don't feel pain with every step, I'm happy!
I clicked "change profile" but it still looks as bad as it did before! Please fix!

Old Tinker

me's first garb was a potatoe sack, Lady Jade,
(Hmmm, me garb is still a potatoe sack).

OT & B...
Loveland "Castleteer"
Travel Safe, Travel Far

Ratman and Bobin

And a fine potatoe sack it is!!!   ;D

Cheers!
Ratman & Bobin
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants!
Isaac Newton 1642-1727
Chroniclers of Willy-Nilly

ladylissame

Garb. You feel like you are part of the atmosphere so much more. And don't worry about how little you have. An outfit is NEVER completely finished