News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camp Recipes

Started by anne of oaktower, May 22, 2008, 10:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeeperoftheBar

This is my world famous recipe for Sausage & Beans that I learned in the Boy Scouts...

Open can of Beanie Weinies,
place on edge of fire till hot,
eat with spoon.

No muss, no fuss and very tasty.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

raevyncait

I'm not much of a camper, but did it at TRF for opening last year. My contribution to food was 8 can soup, which I made ahead of time, put in ziploc bags and froze them, used them to help keepmy cooler cold Friday, and by the time we got back to camp on Saturday, they had thawed enough to put in the stock pot on the camp stove, in about 20 minutes we had nice hot soup.

1lb ground meat, browned (I have used beef, turkey, and bison, though any ground meat should work)
3 cans Campbell's minestrone soup
2 cans Ranch style beans
2 cans whole kernel corn
1 can Rotel
chopped onion

Put it all in the crock pot and cook for a couple of hours to get flavors all melded together.  It can also be simmered all day on low without a problem.  You can also add beef or chicken stock or broth if you want more soup

Serve with crackers or biscuits. I also like to add shredded sharp cheddar on top of mine.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

DonaCatalina

New one for this year!

5 medium white rose potatoes cut into largish pieces.
1 package of carrots shoestrings (look in the salad section)
3-4 links mild Italian Sausage, sliced 1/4" thick. (I also like Central Market Bacon & Onion Sausage for this)
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper to taste.

toss this mixture together into a foil pan. Cover tightly with 2 or more layers of foil.
After your morning campfire is no longer flaming, bury the foil covered pan in the hot coals.

(If it is windy outside you shouldn't do this without a firescreen. Even though a firescreen is a good idea anyway)

By dinnertime you will have a warm delicious meal. If your fire burns down too quickly, you may have to do a bit of a warm-up.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

midnightferret

Ooh, DonaCatalina, that sounds pretty good!

brigaqueen1

Some friends came to camp one night and made this...I make it all the time at home now....There's no set amounts so you can make a huge batch or a smaller one, just toss the stuff in...

Head or 2 of cabbage, chop it up (not small pieces) in a pot or dutch oven, add like a stick of butter (butter...not margarine!), a beer (or water or both) and Tony Chachere's seasoning (I add and taste). Cook that down for a bit...then add a few cans of black eyed peas (drained) and some cut up smoked sausage (I usually get the garlic ones but venison smoked sausage is good too). Let it all heat thru and there ya go! Next time I make it I'm going to add some stewed tomatoes...I'm sure you can add just about anything to this.
*Stephanie*
I'd rather laugh with the sinners, then cry with the saints.

DonaCatalina

All of these can be prepped before you leave home except for actually stuffing the pork.

Stuffed Pork Loin

2 center cut pork loins, approximately 3" thick
   butter flied.
4 slices thick cut bacon
Butcher's twine

Marinade:
½ cup dry red wine
½ cup olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
Mix these ingredient and marinade pork loin for 1-2 hours before stuffing.

Stuffing:
1 carrot diced very fine
¼ sweet yellow onion diced very fine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon rosemary
¼ teaspoon sage
Pinch of red and black pepper
Pinch of kosher salt
Mix these ingredients and let sit for at least an hour before cooking.

Stuff pork with the carrot mixture. Wrap bacon slices around pork loins and tie shut with butcher twine. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour, or grill using indirect heat for about 1 hour and fifteen minutes. The edge of a spoon should penetrate the outer edge of the meat easily.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

RenRobin

Easy Omelets

We made these omelets at FourWinds this year for the first time and was completely surprised how simple and easy it was.  Clean up is a breeze!

What you need:
Large pot of boiling water
Quart sized FREEZER resealable bags
Sharpie marker
eggs or egg beaters
Omelet fixins': shredded cheeses, crumbled bacon, browned breakfast sausage, green peppers, onions
                   sliced mushrooms, chopped tomatoes...whatever you like to put in an omelet. 
                   It can all be prepped ahead of time and put in resealable bags and refrigerated.

Write each person's name on the bag with the sharpie marker, so you know who they belongs to.

In a resealable FREEZER bag( must be a Freezer bag as it is a heavier weight plastic), put no more than 2 eggs in the bag, next throw in your favorite fixins, smoosh together so that your ingredients are well mixed, add salt and pepper and seal with as much of the air removed as possible, otherwise you will have eggdrop soup if you are not careful.

Next place into the pot of water that is at a full rolling boil.  In a big pot you can cook 6-8 at a time, a dutch oven I would not put more than 4.  Cook for 13 -15 minutes

Remove from the water carefully, open and dump onto a plate. 

No, the bags do not melt if they touch the sides of the pot; no they do not stick to each other ( or did not when we did it) and the omelet simply slips out with no butter or oil needed for lubrication.You will be amazed.  I promise.
Loki-terr (in training)

DonaCatalina

OOOh....I never thought of doing omelets this way. Thanks!
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

RenRobin

Loki-terr (in training)

dragongirl

My sister reminded me of this recipe when we were on the phone last night.

You take the campfire sandwich cooker and either liberally coat with butter or spray with pan, which ever you prefer.  You put a slice of bread in each side, add cheese, ham or candian bacon, and one egg. then hold over low to med flame turning regularly for about 2 1/2 minutes and you have a breakfast sandwich. 

For dessert you butter the bread and coat with cinnamon and suger and file with the fruit filling of your choice and heat for about 2 minutes.  Then top with fresh whipped cream
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

midnightferret

This is more of a what I'm thinking of making before I go to TRF one weekend, rather than a camp recipe, but just think of the implications!

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/graham-crackers/

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/06/springy-fluffy-marshmallows/

Just think of it: gourmet S'mores, a cup of boozy hot chocolate... heck of a late-night snack.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Ok, now that i'm drooling.  Thank you for all the great ideas...
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

batninja

I'm thinking of doing something a little different than the standard Friday night tin foil dinners...

Does anyone have a 'tried-and-true' Dutch over recipe for Sherpherd's Pie? 
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

dragongirl

Well this recipe was prepared and eaten at the last 2 events. 

1 lb of 80% chopped Beef
1 lb of Chopped Pork
1 can of peas
1 bag of prechopped carrots
3 med onions rough chopped
2 cans of Beef Connsume
2 packets of Durkee Beef Stew seasonings
One bag of Oridea premade mashed potatos

Mix everything but the mashed potato's together and let simmer until the meat seperates and gives the "slopp joe" look then add potatos cover and let cook until potatos are GBD
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Bonny Pearl

Not sure if this recipe is out there or not but our local grocery (which is near TRF) is now selling an item in their butcher section I am addicted to!!  I've seen them labeled Dragon Eggs and Armadillo Eggs.  I guess they can't decide what to call them lol.

The recipe is sort of like a Scotch Egg but with a Texas twist.

Half of a fresh, seeded jalepeno filled with cream cheese and then surrounded with breakfast sausage.  They look like oblong sausage balls.  Put them on the grill and devour!  NOM!  ;D

This is something that seems easy to prepare ahead of time and keep in a cooler.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88