News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Can't Live Without

Started by eloquentXI, May 22, 2008, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eloquentXI

What are the things that you take with you when camping that you cannot live without, certain cooking items, rubbermaid tubs for the garb, etc. ?
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Zaubon

Cilean

Being a "Foodie" I have a lot of must haves.

1.  Dutch Oven

2. Grill

3. Coleman Kitchen

4. Coleman Oven

5.  Porta Potty - Since I now have Diabetes (it sucketh mightily) I find this to be a Goddess Send!

6. Shower - Hubby has long hair and hates oily hair, so a shower is something he needs!

There is so much more, but either SCA or Faire Camping, I bring the Kitchen Sink with me, we have a special heater that will give you very hot water in minutes.

Wait until I get my new bed!! It is a canopy and is a slat bed that breaks down!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

brier patch charlie

My sheepskin rug and my kilt. Every thing else is just extera baggage.
Charles Coleman

Justin

We are pretty proud of our campsite.  We go with another couple from Ft. Worth and have developed a pretty sweet setup.  Last year we completely connected and enclosed our two tents, a 10x10 enclosed canopy, an 8x10 canopy, and a 10x20 enclosed canopy.  One room was setup as a bathroom complete with a pop up toilet stall and another shower stall (heated shower).  We also hung our garb in there.  We divided the 10x20 into a partially enclosed kitchen and a fully enclosed lounge complete with custom made floor pillows and a DVD player.

But in terms of items, we favor the latter part of the season so we can't live without our 18,000 BTU tent heater.  We've been down to 30 degrees and are perfectly comfortable in the tent.

RenRobin

We have it pretty good at our campsite.  Last year we fed up to 45 people in our camp at TRF and still had left overs.  We have all the cooking equipment you could imagine including the kitchen sink.  Our latest is a rechargeable air conditioner.  You put ice in a container behind a fan unit and it sucks the wind across the ice and you have an evaproative cooler really.  Trying that puppy out in a couple of weeks.
Loki-terr (in training)

Lady Ann of Draycott

Pillows!!! (Don't laugh! Twice I forgot them last year at TRF and I was miserable!)
Air Mattress
Porta Potty is a must!
Coleman Hot Water on Demandâ„¢ Portable Water Heater (this is wonderful)
Propane Tent Heater (during applicable weather)

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

soap and LOTS of water. I have to bath and even wash my hair. And I am very good at doing it while camping with little waste and warm water to boot. Now I say lots of water as we drink it and clean up cooking with it. Another thing I am good at.

An a portable toilet seat when camping in the backwoods of Colorado so I can sit to do my job.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

dragongirl

Clean underwear!!!!!!!!  I cannot wear a pair for more than 8 hours so when I'm camping I need like 3 changes a day for the entire time I'm there.  Even when I travel by plane and go to a hotel I'm freakish about the underwear situtation.  I have to bring new unopened packeges with at least 2 pair for each day.  lol
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

escherblacksmith

rubbermaid tubs
ax
wash tubs
rei sleep mat (fantastic)
adjustable tripod for over fire
wood
wood
wood
French press . . . or coleman stove espresso maker.

Me without good coffee is bad thing.

I get all stabby
--

Marietta Graziella

OK, here's a question from someone who doesn't camp very often.  My "big" camp out is over Labor Day and it's on my dad's land so we have all the conveniences of home (literally) within a few hundred yards if needs be.

However...  we are camping a couple of times a year for fest and I always feel like I'm bring a ton of stuff that I didn't need while forgetting lots of stuff I do need. 
The fest sites we stay at have flushies and showers so that's not an issue but what other items can you recommend for a family with 4 boys (10-14) that camps only occassionally?  I don't want to go out and spend $$$ on items I'll only use once or twice a year.  BTW, we already have a great tent and several EZ-UP canopies.

Discuss.   ;)
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

cassietheig

1. My "Light My Fire" striker (works even if wet & in the rain)
2. My Cabela's oversized cot (just like having a twin bed)
3. My -15 degree XL sleeping bag, (I hate being cold)
4. My coleman xtreme 5 day cooler (it really keeps the ice from melting for 5 days)
5. Chapstick (also doubles as a fire starter)
6. My swiss army knife
7. Deodorant (hey, I'm a girl and I hate to stink!)

RenRobin

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on June 08, 2008, 08:43:43 AM
OK, here's a question from someone who doesn't camp very often.  My "big" camp out is over Labor Day and it's on my dad's land so we have all the conveniences of home (literally) within a few hundred yards if needs be.

However...  we are camping a couple of times a year for fest and I always feel like I'm bring a ton of stuff that I didn't need while forgetting lots of stuff I do need. 
The fest sites we stay at have flushies and showers so that's not an issue but what other items can you recommend for a family with 4 boys (10-14) that camps only occassionally?  I don't want to go out and spend $$$ on items I'll only use once or twice a year.  BTW, we already have a great tent and several EZ-UP canopies.

Discuss.   ;)

Tarps, rope and Tubs....Tarps can provide shade, protection from rain and can provide a wind break in th winter with the north winds blowing...provided you have rope and trees.  Rubbermaid tubs are marvelous....you keep your clothes and garb in them to keep them dry, you can store your dry goods in them to keep bugs out of your food.  We take the clear sheet protectors and tape them to the outside of the tub, we slide in a list of what is contained in the tub so there is no guessing what is in the tub.  The stack neatly.  In an unexpected rain shower they are great for the quick scoop and run, just dump whatever is on the table into a tub to keep it from getting wet.
Loki-terr (in training)

PurpleDragon

1. Tent Heater in the cold weather.
2. Battery fan in the hot weather.
3. Coleman Stove Drip coffee maker (in any weather, one must have coffee).
4. Fresh batteries for air mattress pump.
5. FOOD & DRINK!!!!!!!! (but not necessarily in that order).
6. One more pair of socks than you think you might need. (one can never have too many dry pairs of socks).
7. Fuzzy Slippers, after a day of wearing boots working inside the gates.. they are a GODSEND.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Nina

Opionions please...Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, but...Speaking of what we really can or cannot live without...My mother has finally offered to sell me her completely restored and updated 1976 Shasta 12' travel trailer.  I have been after her for years to sell it to me.  She only uses it one weekend out of the year at most.  Well she finally decided she can part with it and I actually have the money. 

The 2 main things holding me back are:  First, I do not have a tow package on my new van, not sure it is really practical to pull this trailer even if i had one put on, as I would worry about the strain on the transmission, etc.  My bf has a truck that can pull it but I hate depending on other people to do things for me that I want to do for myself.  Second, is it really worth it compared to tent camping?  I have tent camped for years and done fine.  Sure we got wet a time or two, froze my goodies off a few times.  But with gas prices the way they are, could i really justify a  trailer that much?  Oh how i hate decisions.  Any input is truly appreciated.