News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Can't Live Without

Started by eloquentXI, May 22, 2008, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eloquentXI

What are the things that you take with you when camping that you cannot live without, certain cooking items, rubbermaid tubs for the garb, etc. ?
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Zaubon

Cilean

Being a "Foodie" I have a lot of must haves.

1.  Dutch Oven

2. Grill

3. Coleman Kitchen

4. Coleman Oven

5.  Porta Potty - Since I now have Diabetes (it sucketh mightily) I find this to be a Goddess Send!

6. Shower - Hubby has long hair and hates oily hair, so a shower is something he needs!

There is so much more, but either SCA or Faire Camping, I bring the Kitchen Sink with me, we have a special heater that will give you very hot water in minutes.

Wait until I get my new bed!! It is a canopy and is a slat bed that breaks down!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

brier patch charlie

My sheepskin rug and my kilt. Every thing else is just extera baggage.
Charles Coleman

Justin

We are pretty proud of our campsite.  We go with another couple from Ft. Worth and have developed a pretty sweet setup.  Last year we completely connected and enclosed our two tents, a 10x10 enclosed canopy, an 8x10 canopy, and a 10x20 enclosed canopy.  One room was setup as a bathroom complete with a pop up toilet stall and another shower stall (heated shower).  We also hung our garb in there.  We divided the 10x20 into a partially enclosed kitchen and a fully enclosed lounge complete with custom made floor pillows and a DVD player.

But in terms of items, we favor the latter part of the season so we can't live without our 18,000 BTU tent heater.  We've been down to 30 degrees and are perfectly comfortable in the tent.

RenRobin

We have it pretty good at our campsite.  Last year we fed up to 45 people in our camp at TRF and still had left overs.  We have all the cooking equipment you could imagine including the kitchen sink.  Our latest is a rechargeable air conditioner.  You put ice in a container behind a fan unit and it sucks the wind across the ice and you have an evaproative cooler really.  Trying that puppy out in a couple of weeks.
Loki-terr (in training)

Lady Ann of Draycott

Pillows!!! (Don't laugh! Twice I forgot them last year at TRF and I was miserable!)
Air Mattress
Porta Potty is a must!
Coleman Hot Water on Demandâ„¢ Portable Water Heater (this is wonderful)
Propane Tent Heater (during applicable weather)

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

soap and LOTS of water. I have to bath and even wash my hair. And I am very good at doing it while camping with little waste and warm water to boot. Now I say lots of water as we drink it and clean up cooking with it. Another thing I am good at.

An a portable toilet seat when camping in the backwoods of Colorado so I can sit to do my job.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

dragongirl

Clean underwear!!!!!!!!  I cannot wear a pair for more than 8 hours so when I'm camping I need like 3 changes a day for the entire time I'm there.  Even when I travel by plane and go to a hotel I'm freakish about the underwear situtation.  I have to bring new unopened packeges with at least 2 pair for each day.  lol
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

escherblacksmith

rubbermaid tubs
ax
wash tubs
rei sleep mat (fantastic)
adjustable tripod for over fire
wood
wood
wood
French press . . . or coleman stove espresso maker.

Me without good coffee is bad thing.

I get all stabby
--

Marietta Graziella

OK, here's a question from someone who doesn't camp very often.  My "big" camp out is over Labor Day and it's on my dad's land so we have all the conveniences of home (literally) within a few hundred yards if needs be.

However...  we are camping a couple of times a year for fest and I always feel like I'm bring a ton of stuff that I didn't need while forgetting lots of stuff I do need. 
The fest sites we stay at have flushies and showers so that's not an issue but what other items can you recommend for a family with 4 boys (10-14) that camps only occassionally?  I don't want to go out and spend $$$ on items I'll only use once or twice a year.  BTW, we already have a great tent and several EZ-UP canopies.

Discuss.   ;)
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

cassietheig

1. My "Light My Fire" striker (works even if wet & in the rain)
2. My Cabela's oversized cot (just like having a twin bed)
3. My -15 degree XL sleeping bag, (I hate being cold)
4. My coleman xtreme 5 day cooler (it really keeps the ice from melting for 5 days)
5. Chapstick (also doubles as a fire starter)
6. My swiss army knife
7. Deodorant (hey, I'm a girl and I hate to stink!)

RenRobin

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on June 08, 2008, 08:43:43 AM
OK, here's a question from someone who doesn't camp very often.  My "big" camp out is over Labor Day and it's on my dad's land so we have all the conveniences of home (literally) within a few hundred yards if needs be.

However...  we are camping a couple of times a year for fest and I always feel like I'm bring a ton of stuff that I didn't need while forgetting lots of stuff I do need. 
The fest sites we stay at have flushies and showers so that's not an issue but what other items can you recommend for a family with 4 boys (10-14) that camps only occassionally?  I don't want to go out and spend $$$ on items I'll only use once or twice a year.  BTW, we already have a great tent and several EZ-UP canopies.

Discuss.   ;)

Tarps, rope and Tubs....Tarps can provide shade, protection from rain and can provide a wind break in th winter with the north winds blowing...provided you have rope and trees.  Rubbermaid tubs are marvelous....you keep your clothes and garb in them to keep them dry, you can store your dry goods in them to keep bugs out of your food.  We take the clear sheet protectors and tape them to the outside of the tub, we slide in a list of what is contained in the tub so there is no guessing what is in the tub.  The stack neatly.  In an unexpected rain shower they are great for the quick scoop and run, just dump whatever is on the table into a tub to keep it from getting wet.
Loki-terr (in training)

PurpleDragon

1. Tent Heater in the cold weather.
2. Battery fan in the hot weather.
3. Coleman Stove Drip coffee maker (in any weather, one must have coffee).
4. Fresh batteries for air mattress pump.
5. FOOD & DRINK!!!!!!!! (but not necessarily in that order).
6. One more pair of socks than you think you might need. (one can never have too many dry pairs of socks).
7. Fuzzy Slippers, after a day of wearing boots working inside the gates.. they are a GODSEND.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Nina

Opionions please...Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, but...Speaking of what we really can or cannot live without...My mother has finally offered to sell me her completely restored and updated 1976 Shasta 12' travel trailer.  I have been after her for years to sell it to me.  She only uses it one weekend out of the year at most.  Well she finally decided she can part with it and I actually have the money. 

The 2 main things holding me back are:  First, I do not have a tow package on my new van, not sure it is really practical to pull this trailer even if i had one put on, as I would worry about the strain on the transmission, etc.  My bf has a truck that can pull it but I hate depending on other people to do things for me that I want to do for myself.  Second, is it really worth it compared to tent camping?  I have tent camped for years and done fine.  Sure we got wet a time or two, froze my goodies off a few times.  But with gas prices the way they are, could i really justify a  trailer that much?  Oh how i hate decisions.  Any input is truly appreciated.

mpullen

Nina, the decision between tent camping and trailer camping requires evaluating several points. You've already mentioned two: cost of hauling the trailer and availability of a tow vehicle.

If you plan on camping several weekends at the same Faire, and you have a long drive to the Faire from your home, you might consider putting the trailer in a storage facility close to the Faire between weekends (i.e., haul the trailer up the first weekend, enjoy the Faire, and put in storage. The next weekend, pickup trailer, and so forth. At the end of the season, bring trailer home). Try to find a storage facility that also has a sanitary dump station and source of fresh water to fill your water tank.

One of the best reasons for the trailer is that you don't have alot of last minute packing. You can leisurely plan your packing and rearrange as needed. When packed for tent camping, the one thing you need "right now" is probably somewhere buried in the bottom of the pile in your vehicle.

Also, with the trailer you are not a victim of the weather. If it's storming out, you can still gather your friends inside and have fun. But then again, huddling outside around a fire pit and being miserable with friends is also fun and something to talk about after the season is over. Closing weekend of 2007 TRF is a prime example. Many of the tent campers gave up Sunday morning and packed up. They missed out on the great day later, plus the beautiful Monday morning.

My breaking point was in 2004, waking up on a cold morning, with the mattress deflated, and feeling like I had slept on boulders. Us old folks love our creature comforts. When the opportunity came to buy a new trailer at a great price, I didn't think twice. I even got a good deal trading my F-150 for a diesel F-250. And I still pack the tent for when my kids visit, but don't want to sleep in the trailer with me (I swear I don't snore).

So, if you would only use the trailer for one weekend, it would probably be cheaper to continue with the tent.

Nina

Wow, mp,thanks for the awesome input!  I appreciate the suggestion to store it nearby. Never had to think about things like that before.  I live almost to Denton and love to visit TRF.  Needless to say, if I had to pack it back and forth each weekend it wouldn't seem too feasable given these insane gas prices. 

The "victim of the weather" has definately been me a few times.  Last year we felt like we were near drowning victims and spent a good deal of time packing up wet bed linens, rugs, mattress, etc.  Not much fun. 

I guess I also suffer a bit from fear of the unknown.  I need to educate myself with a copy of trailer camping for dummies or something.  Is it possible to really mess one up by not knowing a thing about them? 

I would be getting a really good deal on it.  But like you said, its fun to hang out around the fire pit with the others who are in the same boat.  Or clamoring for one...It isn't about boasting or showing off.  After all it is an old trailer even at it's best.  I just think it would be oh so nice to be up off the ground, and have a warm, dry bed instead of frost on the sleeping bag, despite a tent heater and many tarps over & under the tent. (ie: Closing weekend of TRF '06)

I camped 7 weekends so far this year just for Scarby.  Planning on camping at least a few weekends at TRF.  I bet I'd use it a bit.  Besides, I guess I could always sell it if I decided it wasn't for me after all.  That is after I got at least one good Faire Season out of it!

Valiss

Nina

Greetings mpullen and all.  Well, after careful consideration of advice herein posted and some reflection on past camping experiences, I took the plunge and did it.  I bought my mom's travel trailer!  Sooo excited.  (It will be even better once I de-granny the decor of it.No offense Mom, but I don't do southwest and avocado green.)

It would be exceedingly helpful if you might also be so kind as to give advice on where one should look for info on local storage facilities.  (Also a very helpful suggestion which was weighed in deciding to make the purchase.)

Thankee in advance!

Kaelyn8

Nina, buy the trailer. Besides, it also makes good guest quarters if you have a small house.

Can't live without:
air mattress!  and it's massive double action bicycle style pump.  Battery pumps never get it firm enough, and they are notorious for dying on me.
Stove, must have tea in the morning.
Rubbermaid totes are a must for garb.  I have several wood boxes that I have thoroughly caulked the insides of, they do not leak at all, but rubbermaid is much lighter. That being said, any rubbermaid made in the last 7 years or so will die in a couple of years time, especially if exposed to long period of direct sun.  If they're 10 years or more old, they will last forever.

RenaissanceInBlood

Can't live without.... my sword. Let's face it, when an army of undead are coming toward you, you want something to fight them off, right? Oh, you mean practical items... Hm. Does my favorite walking stick count?

beeboy

1) my HoboTool (fork, knife, spoon, cork screw, can and bottle opener)
2) wooden bowl
3) mug
4) blankets and pillow
5) flashlight

Lady Renee Buchanan

I work in a customer service dept for a company that sells medical supplies.  I speak with non-business customers, i.e. individuals who are buying for personal use as opposed to buying for a hospital, doctor's office, etc.

I have noticed a trend among some of the younger customers, and though I don't camp, I wanted to pass it on.

We sell ReadyBath Total Body Cleansing System. They are 9 x 13 wipes that are used for bathing.  Originally, they were designed for nurses to give baths to patients who are bedridden.

Another thing is ReadyBath Shampoo caps, again for the same situation.

People who are too young to sound like they are in nursing homes have been buying these, and during the conversation have mentioned they are fantastic for camping, especially if the weather is bad, or too cold for showers, etc.  Although we sell 150,000 products, when the same products come up again and again, you start remembering them.  So of course I thought of my Ren friends, who may be interested in these.

We do sell these by individual packs or caps, but it is more economical by the case, and there's a flat rate shipping charge for orders up to 30 lbs., whether you buy 1 pack or 1 case, it's still the same charge.  If a group of you got together and split a case, it would be very affordable.

The company is Medline, phone is 1-800-950-8585, open Monday to Friday 8 to 5 central time.  And if a Customer Service Rep answers the phone and says her name is Renee, that's me!  Let me know your a RFer.   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

dragongirl

After last year at Pennsic I insist on have a camp kitchen with a handwashing station.  We had no water hook-up, no hoses, and no camp sink.  The privies only stocked foam hand sanitizer and there was not even sinks at the solar showers.  So I MUST have a place to wash my hands after going potty.  Baby wipes and purell can only take you so far.  I ended up driving into town every other day so that I could go potty and wash my hands really well.  I was also showering twice a day to try and keep my nails clean. lol  I don't think I could survive another 2 weeks with filthy hands.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

~pixie~

I can't live without....

the cabins at the KOA near faire.  What's not to like about a bed, electricity, a door that locks, and shelter in the rain?

Awesome.
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF
aka: Gold'n Penny
Irish Penny Brigade - Clan White

Jon Foster

I just noticed this thread. We can't live without our trailer! It has everything we need to "rough it" while camping...  ;)

Jon.