News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Can't Live Without

Started by eloquentXI, May 22, 2008, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpullen

Nina, the decision between tent camping and trailer camping requires evaluating several points. You've already mentioned two: cost of hauling the trailer and availability of a tow vehicle.

If you plan on camping several weekends at the same Faire, and you have a long drive to the Faire from your home, you might consider putting the trailer in a storage facility close to the Faire between weekends (i.e., haul the trailer up the first weekend, enjoy the Faire, and put in storage. The next weekend, pickup trailer, and so forth. At the end of the season, bring trailer home). Try to find a storage facility that also has a sanitary dump station and source of fresh water to fill your water tank.

One of the best reasons for the trailer is that you don't have alot of last minute packing. You can leisurely plan your packing and rearrange as needed. When packed for tent camping, the one thing you need "right now" is probably somewhere buried in the bottom of the pile in your vehicle.

Also, with the trailer you are not a victim of the weather. If it's storming out, you can still gather your friends inside and have fun. But then again, huddling outside around a fire pit and being miserable with friends is also fun and something to talk about after the season is over. Closing weekend of 2007 TRF is a prime example. Many of the tent campers gave up Sunday morning and packed up. They missed out on the great day later, plus the beautiful Monday morning.

My breaking point was in 2004, waking up on a cold morning, with the mattress deflated, and feeling like I had slept on boulders. Us old folks love our creature comforts. When the opportunity came to buy a new trailer at a great price, I didn't think twice. I even got a good deal trading my F-150 for a diesel F-250. And I still pack the tent for when my kids visit, but don't want to sleep in the trailer with me (I swear I don't snore).

So, if you would only use the trailer for one weekend, it would probably be cheaper to continue with the tent.

Nina

Wow, mp,thanks for the awesome input!  I appreciate the suggestion to store it nearby. Never had to think about things like that before.  I live almost to Denton and love to visit TRF.  Needless to say, if I had to pack it back and forth each weekend it wouldn't seem too feasable given these insane gas prices. 

The "victim of the weather" has definately been me a few times.  Last year we felt like we were near drowning victims and spent a good deal of time packing up wet bed linens, rugs, mattress, etc.  Not much fun. 

I guess I also suffer a bit from fear of the unknown.  I need to educate myself with a copy of trailer camping for dummies or something.  Is it possible to really mess one up by not knowing a thing about them? 

I would be getting a really good deal on it.  But like you said, its fun to hang out around the fire pit with the others who are in the same boat.  Or clamoring for one...It isn't about boasting or showing off.  After all it is an old trailer even at it's best.  I just think it would be oh so nice to be up off the ground, and have a warm, dry bed instead of frost on the sleeping bag, despite a tent heater and many tarps over & under the tent. (ie: Closing weekend of TRF '06)

I camped 7 weekends so far this year just for Scarby.  Planning on camping at least a few weekends at TRF.  I bet I'd use it a bit.  Besides, I guess I could always sell it if I decided it wasn't for me after all.  That is after I got at least one good Faire Season out of it!

Valiss

Nina

Greetings mpullen and all.  Well, after careful consideration of advice herein posted and some reflection on past camping experiences, I took the plunge and did it.  I bought my mom's travel trailer!  Sooo excited.  (It will be even better once I de-granny the decor of it.No offense Mom, but I don't do southwest and avocado green.)

It would be exceedingly helpful if you might also be so kind as to give advice on where one should look for info on local storage facilities.  (Also a very helpful suggestion which was weighed in deciding to make the purchase.)

Thankee in advance!

Kaelyn8

Nina, buy the trailer. Besides, it also makes good guest quarters if you have a small house.

Can't live without:
air mattress!  and it's massive double action bicycle style pump.  Battery pumps never get it firm enough, and they are notorious for dying on me.
Stove, must have tea in the morning.
Rubbermaid totes are a must for garb.  I have several wood boxes that I have thoroughly caulked the insides of, they do not leak at all, but rubbermaid is much lighter. That being said, any rubbermaid made in the last 7 years or so will die in a couple of years time, especially if exposed to long period of direct sun.  If they're 10 years or more old, they will last forever.

RenaissanceInBlood

Can't live without.... my sword. Let's face it, when an army of undead are coming toward you, you want something to fight them off, right? Oh, you mean practical items... Hm. Does my favorite walking stick count?

beeboy

1) my HoboTool (fork, knife, spoon, cork screw, can and bottle opener)
2) wooden bowl
3) mug
4) blankets and pillow
5) flashlight

Lady Renee Buchanan

I work in a customer service dept for a company that sells medical supplies.  I speak with non-business customers, i.e. individuals who are buying for personal use as opposed to buying for a hospital, doctor's office, etc.

I have noticed a trend among some of the younger customers, and though I don't camp, I wanted to pass it on.

We sell ReadyBath Total Body Cleansing System. They are 9 x 13 wipes that are used for bathing.  Originally, they were designed for nurses to give baths to patients who are bedridden.

Another thing is ReadyBath Shampoo caps, again for the same situation.

People who are too young to sound like they are in nursing homes have been buying these, and during the conversation have mentioned they are fantastic for camping, especially if the weather is bad, or too cold for showers, etc.  Although we sell 150,000 products, when the same products come up again and again, you start remembering them.  So of course I thought of my Ren friends, who may be interested in these.

We do sell these by individual packs or caps, but it is more economical by the case, and there's a flat rate shipping charge for orders up to 30 lbs., whether you buy 1 pack or 1 case, it's still the same charge.  If a group of you got together and split a case, it would be very affordable.

The company is Medline, phone is 1-800-950-8585, open Monday to Friday 8 to 5 central time.  And if a Customer Service Rep answers the phone and says her name is Renee, that's me!  Let me know your a RFer.   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

dragongirl

After last year at Pennsic I insist on have a camp kitchen with a handwashing station.  We had no water hook-up, no hoses, and no camp sink.  The privies only stocked foam hand sanitizer and there was not even sinks at the solar showers.  So I MUST have a place to wash my hands after going potty.  Baby wipes and purell can only take you so far.  I ended up driving into town every other day so that I could go potty and wash my hands really well.  I was also showering twice a day to try and keep my nails clean. lol  I don't think I could survive another 2 weeks with filthy hands.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

~pixie~

I can't live without....

the cabins at the KOA near faire.  What's not to like about a bed, electricity, a door that locks, and shelter in the rain?

Awesome.
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF
aka: Gold'n Penny
Irish Penny Brigade - Clan White

Jon Foster

I just noticed this thread. We can't live without our trailer! It has everything we need to "rough it" while camping...  ;)

Jon.