News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Quick tip for refreshing garb between washes (or for non-washables)

Started by gem, September 19, 2009, 02:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

also the lavender and tea tree oil are an antibactrial.

For the wet towel Gem the essentail oil should not cause any staining, make sure to place the drops into the middle of the towel the oil will soak into the weave of the towel.

gem

Thanks, Adriana!  I'm surprised nobody is giving my dryer method a try.  (It's now being touted on blogs and sewing sites as a method for pre-treating woollens before you sew with them!  Which I also do.)  Whenever I get a new dryer, I'm absolutely getting one with a steam function.

Miranda

Quote from: Adriana Rose on December 08, 2009, 12:27:55 PM
also the lavender and tea tree oil are an antibactrial.
Tea Tree is also anti-fungal, great for post rainy day faire induced trenchfoot!

A bit off topic but, hey there is post about shoes floating around so what the hey!
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

Kehle

Quote from: gem on December 08, 2009, 02:27:55 PM
Thanks, Adriana!  I'm surprised nobody is giving my dryer method a try.  (It's now being touted on blogs and sewing sites as a method for pre-treating woollens before you sew with them!  Which I also do.)  Whenever I get a new dryer, I'm absolutely getting one with a steam function.

I'm gonna give it a try, thanks for the tip.

As for the oil, I was gonna suggest dropping a cork with your oil into a sock and tying the end of the sock so if the oil does stain, it's just the inside of a sock. But I have no experience with oils. But it seems to me a cork is soft enough to not damage your dryer. I'm a newb in all things so only take my suggestion at your own risk. The drops on the wet towel are probably better, I'd just still be afraid of staining. We used to have a dryer that stained everything on it's own with nothing (other than clothes) in it, so now I'm just extra paranoid.

You could also try throwing dryer sheets in there if you don't mind the smell of them.
Lurker is just the forum word for stalker.
(now lurking in FL)

Elennare

How does the dryer trick work in regard to shrinking things?  The dryer I have currently is notorious for shrinking just about ANY article of clothing put in it if it's set to high.  Does the steam from the wet towel prevent this, or would I still have a problem if I gave this a try?
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Adriana Rose

For the cork in the sock trick... DO NOT USE ONE THAT WAS IN A WINE BOTTLE!
just a thing to keep in mind  ;D

there are corks at places like Hobby Lobby and other craft stores or i think at hardware stores too maybe

Merlin

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Tixi

I assume everyone is talking about plain, unflavored vodka, but has anyone tried, say, citrus vodka?

Aelynn of Georgina

Gem, I have used that dryer trick for years on all our "dry clean only" clothing, including hubby's uniforms (he's a pilot), long before ever going to faire.  I keep a few prewashed microfiber cloths next to the dryer just for this purpose. Works like a charm! It's also a great substitute for ironing out clothing that has been in the bottom of a drawer for a while or in off-season storage.  I wonder if adding vodka to the cloth would eliminate odours too???

Anyone have any tricks for removing yellow sweat stains?  Dh sweats a lot and goes through t-shirts like he owns stock in the company. This will be his first year going to faire and I'm worried he's going to ruin his garb.

LadyStitch

depending on the garb you might be able to get some of the disposalable sweat patches. We sold them all the time to bridesmaids and brides for wedding day issues.  They were priceless.  When they are icky just remove them and put in a new set.
Another option is the sew in version.  They would protect the garb, and when icky just change them out.  It's a thought.

http://www.mrscleanusa.com/en/cleaning-tips/stain-removal/perspiration-stain.html

That link has some good suggestions on removing the stains.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

stonebiscuit

Coming late to this party, but! White distilled vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray on pit stains full strength. Wash. Voila! It works like a charm.

Chelsy

even later to this party, but baking soda and water rubbed onto sweat stains with a toothbrush (and then washed, of course) works well too!
TNRF (2003-2015, 2017)
CRF (2012-present)
GARF (2015-present)
KYHRF (2005-2009)

LAVAGODDESSSS

This is slightly on topic. But I washed my skirt (it has a drawstring). And the knot came untied. HOW do I get that string back through? (After I get it back from my thieving kitten).

I realize this is likely a "how do you NOT know that? " But I need to know lol.
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

redkimba

Quote from: LAVAGODDESSSS on August 20, 2011, 03:04:39 PM
This is slightly on topic. But I washed my skirt (it has a drawstring). And the knot came untied. HOW do I get that string back through? (After I get it back from my thieving kitten).

I realize this is likely a "how do you NOT know that? " But I need to know lol.

I use a small safety pin in one end of the drawstring & use it to help push the string through the casing.  (I've done this lots with other clothing.)

Betty Munro

If your casing is too small for a safety pin, then use a needlepoint needle.  They are just a few bucks.  WalMart should have them in the crafting department, and of course any sewing or craft store.