News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Combining the King's English with a Spanish accent?

Started by CultofPersonality, September 20, 2009, 06:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CultofPersonality

This fall will be my first-ever time working at, or even attending, a Renaissance fest. Aside from the guidebook we've been given on simple phrases to be used, I'm pretty much lost on the spoken part of the job. I'll be working for one of the bakery vendors, and I'm creating a Spanish persona since I'll more than likely be working in the Spanish goods house over Scottish, being that I'm hispanic and well, look it.

So really any help or tricks or advice y'all have as to how I should speak Old English and yet spanish, would be great? I don't actually know much spanish, unfortunately, but I'm absolutely able to learn.

Thanks!

Butch

What comes immediately to mind is the character Mandy Patinkin played in the Princess Bride.  You may wish to imitate him.

lys1022

Accent, grammar and vocabulary are three different parts of "faire speak".  Anyone who is in England at the time of the festival would be speaking English as the English do...but in their own accent.  So develop the Spanish accent (I assume you're going with a true Spanish accent and not a Mexican one, as they are worlds apart), and then follow period appropriate English rules for grammar and vocabulary.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.