News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sunday 9-20-09

Started by Xanthenes The Unbalanced, September 21, 2009, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

A few shots from my quickest trip yet to Holly.  It seemed like the walk to and from the car was longer than my stay.

(This space for rent)

Jon Foster

Excellent shots. You going to be there this coming weekend?

Jon.

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: Jon Foster on September 22, 2009, 12:44:42 AM
Excellent shots. You going to be there this coming weekend?

Jon.

Thanks, Jon!  Yep.  Should be there most of the day Saturday?  You goin?
(This space for rent)

Jon Foster

I'm pretty sure but don't know which day yet. Two full days of the dust was a killer on the lungs last weekend.

Jon.

Cyron

i swear.. all of you all have better cameras then i do.. booo.. well figure it out jon.. i should be there this saturday, at least thats the plan right now.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

Jon Foster

Come on. You take great shots with your camera(s). And remember, every shot out of camera's like ours are processed too.

Jon.

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: Jon Foster on September 23, 2009, 10:50:13 AM
Come on. You take great shots with your camera(s). And remember, every shot out of camera's like ours are processed too.

Jon.

Regarding the quality of Cyron's shots, I completely agree. 

Some of my favorite shots in the post-digital age were taken with my first digital camera, a horrible little 2 MP Olympus that took a month-and-a-half to autofocus.  To be honest, I'd love to be able to print them on something larger than a postage stamp, but in the end, it's just a tool.

The only thing my 5D Mk II really gives me over my old 20D is full-frame for wider shots.  It also gives me a little more bokeh in telephoto because of the larger sensor, but I lose some reach without the 1.6x crop factor (though I suppose I could do an 8MP center crop that is just about the same as what the 20D would capture). 

For doing anything than monster-sized prints, I find 21 megapixels to be complete overkill (except for those rare times when I decide to mega-crop something).  The only reason I picked the darn thing up was for HD video projects, which is the bulk of my work.
(This space for rent)

shadowcat546

BEAUTIFUL   PICTURES !!!
Shannon, ..The Colonial Peddler --see Webshots shadowcat546 (so.-east Mich.) Goods for Sale

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

(This space for rent)

Cyron

actually the thing i dont like the most about my new camera is that i almost think my old 4mp canon powershot s45 took better pictures then the new 9mp powershot sx 110is.  if the old one had the 10x optical zoom i would use that all the time.

the biggest thing i have an issue with my new camera is that if anything is moving in the pic it will get it blurry 90% of the time while everything else is fine.. the old camera did it just fine the new one i cannot figure out how to make it work yet.. i will have to bug you on that again jon next time i see ya.  if i can figure that out then i will like the newer one alot more..

but i am going thru the pics i took on sunday and they should be up at www.theblackvoid.net soon..

on a side note i batch resize everthing to 800x600 now for posting vice the 1024x768 i used to.. due to space issues.  not as good but yall know how to get the full size ones.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: Cyron on September 23, 2009, 02:51:06 PM
actually the thing i dont like the most about my new camera is that i almost think my old 4mp canon powershot s45 took better pictures then the new 9mp powershot sx 110is.  if the old one had the 10x optical zoom i would use that all the time.

the biggest thing i have an issue with my new camera is that if anything is moving in the pic it will get it blurry 90% of the time while everything else is fine.. the old camera did it just fine the new one i cannot figure out how to make it work yet.. i will have to bug you on that again jon next time i see ya.  if i can figure that out then i will like the newer one alot more..

but i am going thru the pics i took on sunday and they should be up at www.theblackvoid.net soon..

on a side note i batch resize everthing to 800x600 now for posting vice the 1024x768 i used to.. due to space issues.  not as good but yall know how to get the full size ones.

I'm admittedly clueless when it comes to Powershots (my wife and I have a 4mp somewhere, but I'm completely retarded when it comes to knowing how to make it work well).  Is there some sort of a shutter priority mode in the camera?  Sounds like it's just not popping that shutter fast enough.  If you're outside, it should let you pick a shutter upwards of 1/250 or 1/500 (not sure what shutter speed those max out at).  It might be a setting for "sports mode" or something like that.  If it's happening inside, the smaller sensor size of the Powershot might be the problem.  Smaller sensor, less light, slower shutter. 

//All that babble and I probably didn't solve a darn thing.
(This space for rent)

Cyron

not sure.. it will blur moving things at 1/1000 still.. while the olderone will get everything still at 1/400.. so i have no idea what its doing.. lol.. oh well, still works just not as good as i want..

there we go.. i got sundays uploaded to my site now.. i have one that i am hoping one of yall can tell me how the hell it happened.. cause it looks way off to me.. not even sure how to discribe it or how it happened.. even the picture after it is similar in look.

but here are 2 that i liked that i took and then the one that i was wondering about

She says she really likes this dress but rarely gets to wear it.

Graybeard and LadyFair

this one.. how did this happen?? does not even look like they were supposed to be in the photo.

L Dale Walter

Quote from: Xanthenes The Unbalanced on September 23, 2009, 11:13:34 AM
For doing anything than monster-sized prints, I find 21 megapixels to be complete overkill (except for those rare times when I decide to mega-crop something). 

Agreed.  I have a Nikon D3, D300, D2HS, and a Fuji F5.  The D2HS shoots 4.1 megapixels, which is fine for just about anything on a web site.  The bigger D3 at 12.1 mp works good if you have to crop.  Of course you can always throw the DX lens on the FX format D3 and shoot smaller as it auto crops to DX size.

21 mp?  Yeah that is a lot, and must slow workflow to a crawl.

LDW

Jon Foster

Quote from: Cyron on September 23, 2009, 03:28:08 PM
not sure.. it will blur moving things at 1/1000 still.. while the olderone will get everything still at 1/400.. so i have no idea what its doing.. lol.. oh well, still works just not as good as i want..

there we go.. i got sundays uploaded to my site now.. i have one that i am hoping one of yall can tell me how the hell it happened.. cause it looks way off to me.. not even sure how to discribe it or how it happened.. even the picture after it is similar in look.

I'll check the manual and see what I can come up with.

Jon.

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: Cyron on September 23, 2009, 03:28:08 PM

but here are 2 that i liked that i took and then the one that i was wondering about

this one.. how did this happen?? does not even look like they were supposed to be in the photo.

If they were closer, and you shot them with flash, I'd say that looks more like a second curtain effect than anything.  Then again, I'm not even sure if Powershots have curtain settings (as I said, I'm retarded with p&s cameras).  Then again, there's no way you're firing a flash at 1/1000.  My Canon still tops out at 1/250 (an area where I wish it would be more Nikon-like).
(This space for rent)