News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sunday 9-20-09

Started by Xanthenes The Unbalanced, September 21, 2009, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: L Dale Walter on September 23, 2009, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: Xanthenes The Unbalanced on September 23, 2009, 11:13:34 AM
For doing anything than monster-sized prints, I find 21 megapixels to be complete overkill (except for those rare times when I decide to mega-crop something). 

Agreed.  I have a Nikon D3, D300, D2HS, and a Fuji F5.  The D2HS shoots 4.1 megapixels, which is fine for just about anything on a web site.  The bigger D3 at 12.1 mp works good if you have to crop.  Of course you can always throw the DX lens on the FX format D3 and shoot smaller as it auto crops to DX size.

21 mp?  Yeah that is a lot, and must slow workflow to a crawl.

LDW

Yeah, I really prefer working on 21mp photos in my studio (8-core Mac designed for HD video editing), as opposed to my house (basic 2-core PC laptop).  Many times, I use the following workflow on my laptop:

1.  Apply Photoshop action
2.  Go to the fridge to fill up on diet coke
3.  See what's on TV
4.  Call someone at random from my cell phone
5.  Refill diet coke
6.  Check progress of action
7.  Swear loudly at computer
8.  Take a nap
(This space for rent)

Cyron

i was zoomed in for that shot since i was up by the pickle seller near the pyrogyro stage and they were down the hill.. so no flash on that one.  no idea what a curtain effect is so pretty sure i dont have it.. oh well.. i'll add that to my how the beep beep did that happen collection.. i have about 6 pics now in that.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

Jon Foster

Quote from: Cyron on September 23, 2009, 03:28:08 PM
not sure.. it will blur moving things at 1/1000 still.. while the olderone will get everything still at 1/400.. so i have no idea what its doing.. lol.. oh well, still works just not as good as i want..

this one.. how did this happen?? does not even look like they were supposed to be in the photo.

Just out of curiosity, if this was a zoomed shot is there a chance that you were still zooming in when the shot was taken? The picture looks like it has motion blur but zooming in may cause a similar effect. But then again, I would assume the camera wouldn't actually shoot if it was still in the process of zooming... And as far as zooming goes, are the shots that are like this all zoomed in? Like all the way zoomed in? If so, the problem may indeed be motion blur. When a camera is zoomed in, like at the extreme limit, it's hard to hold steady.

Jon.

Eric of Lyon

Cyron,

I checked the EXIF data on that shot, here's what I found:

Make                       : Canon
Model                      : Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
ExposureTime               : 0.066667
FNumber                    : 4.000000
ISOSpeedRatings            : 80
CompressedBitsPerPixel     : 5.000000
Shutter Speed              : 1/14 sec
F-stop                     : F4.0
ExposureBiasValue          : 0.000000
MaxApertureValue           : 4.000000
MeteringMode               : 5
Flash                      : 16
FocalLength                : 34.900000

1/14 sec is VERY slow.  If the shutter truly was 1/14, then I'd say you have a very steady hand and the IS on that camera is VERY good.  That setting would definitely account for the image coming out that way it did to some extent.  Can you upload the full non-sized and untouched image somewhere?  I'd be curious to see the EXIF data from the image that came straight from the camera.    I haven't been able to find whether 16 for flash means it fired or not, however, to me from the looks  of the photo, it looks like it fired.  The SX110 is supposed to have a pretty powerful flash.

(Just found the value 16 for flash, means flash did not fire.  Therefore if the rest of the data above is true for the photo, I would say the camera did some serious processing on it's own because of the slow shutter speed and the Image Stabilization to come up with the results you got.)

You know, cropping that image a bit from the full size version, and with a little tweaking in Photoshop, I think it could be a very cool image.  Almost ethereal. Dreamlike.   Definitely would have to do something with that man's rear, though.
Fare thee Well.
-Eric of Lyon

Eric of Lyon

Quote from: Cyron on September 23, 2009, 04:43:03 AM
i swear.. all of you all have better cameras then i do.. booo.. well figure it out jon.. i should be there this saturday, at least thats the plan right now.

Don't knock yourself, Cyron.  You have some great shots from the Silverleaf and Mayfield faires.  Your shooting style is just different then some of ours.  I think many of your photos have a "street photography" feel to them, and that's a very big and popular genre of photography.  The smaller cameras like you have are perfect for street photography. They're discreet and unobtrusive.  Great for taking candids and for story telling.  Personally, I like your photos.  You capture more of what's going on than those of us that zoom in with our big lenses on one particular subject.
Fare thee Well.
-Eric of Lyon

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: Eric of Lyon on September 24, 2009, 06:02:49 AM
Cyron,

I checked the EXIF data on that shot, here's what I found:

Make                       : Canon
Model                      : Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
ExposureTime               : 0.066667
FNumber                    : 4.000000
ISOSpeedRatings            : 80
CompressedBitsPerPixel     : 5.000000
Shutter Speed              : 1/14 sec
F-stop                     : F4.0
ExposureBiasValue          : 0.000000
MaxApertureValue           : 4.000000
MeteringMode               : 5
Flash                      : 16
FocalLength                : 34.900000

1/14 sec is VERY slow.  If the shutter truly was 1/14, then I'd say you have a very steady hand and the IS on that camera is VERY good. 

Yep, that settles it.  Need to check the camera's documentation for using shutter priority shooting. 

This is one area where Cyron makes a good point about the types of cameras we use.  With a solid DSLR, even on an overcast day, you'd think that an 80 ISO (which is pretty darn slow) and an F stop of 4 (which is fairly open) would net you a shutter speed greater than 1/14, so that must be due to the sensor size of the PowerShot.

Here it is compared to a couple DSLRs: 

PowerShot SX110 IS:   6.16 x 4.62 mm
APS-C DSLR (Nikon D2Xf):  23.7 x 15.7 mm
35mm Full Frame (Canon 5D Mk II):  36x24 mm

Sensor size = better bokeh, better low light shooting, less noise.

(This space for rent)

Jon Foster

Whoa. 1/14 is crazy slow. Good catch Eric. I didn't even think about checking for EXIF data.

Jon.

Ambios

Quote from: Cyron on September 23, 2009, 03:28:08 PM
not sure.. it will blur moving things at 1/1000 still.. while the olderone will get everything still at 1/400.. so i have no idea what its doing.. lol.. oh well, still works just not as good as i want..

there we go.. i got sundays uploaded to my site now.. i have one that i am hoping one of yall can tell me how the hell it happened.. cause it looks way off to me.. not even sure how to discribe it or how it happened.. even the picture after it is similar in look.

but here are 2 that i liked that i took and then the one that i was wondering about

She says she really likes this dress but rarely gets to wear it.

Cyron...for my part, my thanks for a lovely shot of my favorite of Madge Estes' ladies in waiting!
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214
God Save My Sis...(oops) The Queen

Cyron

glad yall know what all that means.. cause i am like yup numbers.. though if it was that slow i dont remember the camera blinking red about me taking the pic.. oh well.l lest yall let meknow why it did it.

and your welcome ambios.. i was over there pecifically cause she told me to be, so hope she likes the pic too.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!