News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How To Attach Feathers To Hat.

Started by Woodsman, September 25, 2009, 04:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsman

I picked up a blank cavaliers hat and need to know the best way to put the feathers
on it. I would like to be able to take them off when storing the hat.

The hat is made out of leather.
Landshark #77

Gauwyn of Bracknell

My hats have hatbands that have vertical slits that the feather can pass through
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

jcbanner

Does the hat have a hat band? if yes, you can take some heavy thread, light string, embroidery floss, what ever, and place the ends of the feathers Along side of the band and tightly wrap the ends together and around the hat band.

if there is no hatband you would either make one to attach the feathers to, and just take the whole band off before storing, or if you don't mind poking to small holes into the hat, you have a number of options. a relatively easy one would be take that sting again and wrap the ends of your feathers tightly together with a large open safety pin wrapped in with the feather tips. push the free end of the pin through the hat where you want it and close it up like normal.

a alternative method that doesn't require modern pins and is probably the easiest, would to to poke two holes about 3/8th's of an inch apart where you want the feathers positioned.  take a piece of leather cordingand pass each end through one hole apiece from the outside.  you should now have a loop on the outside of the hat and two free ends on the inside.  take each end and pass it through the hole that the other end came in through.  Now still your feathers into that loop, and carfully pull the ends tight, and tie them off in a bow knot, (like you would tie your shoes) or any other fancy looking know you would like to use.