News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Access weekend

Started by chriscat53, October 04, 2009, 11:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chriscat53

Well I only got to go to Faire once this year. I had some trouble getting up the hills and decided I ddin't want to distress anyone else like I did that weekend when I couldn't breathe halfway up the hill. I had to bend over the rail for support--for some reason that helps to get your breath back, and a patron said: "Are you looking for something?" And I said, "Yes! My breath!" Managed to make it to the top. I had my emergency inhaler but once you're out of breath, you can't get it out. I was stupid in trying to go fast and trick it. And I hope I wasn't bent over TOO far. Just thoughta that! Yikes! Sometimes one can be too authentic. Especially in 17th century. Anyway--I really really wish there could be at one least one access weekend for us disabled folks with transportation going up the hills. They could require a handicapped sticker or something. Once this pulmonary stuff starts, it does not reverse, even with a transplant. I'd hate to think I couldn't come back to the Faire ever. Or be confined only to the high road.

Charity Morgan

Chris I agree with you, our shire is more hilly than many and without even as much as a rickshaw it can be difficult.  I also had a few moments of distress and Lady Katrina was in a wheelchair this season (she's up and around now though!) so it was all we could do to get her down to the pub and she sat just there all day.  The "hill" is so dangerous anyway, and if you go around the other way the lack of grading or maintenance still makes it hard.  I didn't even see any "scooters" to speak of this year, I think the paths are just getting to difficult.  It would be sad to think you wont be able to attend.  Several of the other shires are more level and easier to maneuver, perhaps we will road trip next season!
Charity Morgan ~ Morgans Bounty
Purveyor of questionably acquired treasures.