News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What Do You Dream of Having in your Campsite?

Started by Cilean, May 23, 2008, 07:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarletnyx

A round tent, with some sort of either pillow bed ( For colder/fair temperature ) nights , or a raised bed ( hammock, cot, ect ) for warmer, balmy faires. When I see the inside of my dream tent, I always imagine lots of pillows and soft blankets to curl up in after walking your body into the ground. A few lounging chairs would be sublime also, with of course warm blankets/thin blankets. I don't know if this is possible due to safety, but maybe have a fire in there also for warmth through the night? Not even a fire, just embers that will smolder until the morning.

I wouldn't want it to be too big either.. Large enough for a bed for me and the husband to sleep comfortably in, no more than two chairs, and enough room to change and move around in without subjecting ourselves to the weather outside. Literally, one of the hardest things I've had to do at faire was climb out of my bed the first weekend this year at SWFF and change into my garb.

I am sure my husband wants other things ( I know he wants to make us a flag that reflects us to hang ) but those are the big things.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Dinobabe

You should look into a sibley or bell tent.  They are used at Civil war reenactments and can have a stove inside.  You have to be careful though, I have heard of them burning down if you don't watch the fire.  But I think if you took embers form the outside fire and carefully brought them in you would probably be ok.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

scarletnyx

Dona, I didn't even -think- about a rope bed! That is perfect!

I do have a question though ( Again, new to camping so I'm still learning )... When it gets really cold outside, I thought the extra air mass below the rope bed would "suck" the heat from you? Is this correct or have I misread? Also, if it does, what are some ways you can combat that? ( I was thinking folding a large comforter underneath the bed to " fill in " the airspace )
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Sitara

Having your mattress directly on the ground sucks the heat out. We are ever so much warmer now that we put our air mattress on top of a cot.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

BLAKDUKE

I would like a bottle of Crown Royal and 2 blonde waitresses.  Unfortunatly the wife will only allow the bottle.

She is mean like that
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Merlin the Elder

Apparently, Nim doesn't mind me having the blondes. The last time I mentioned it, she said, "Sure! Go ahead and try it!"
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

groomporter

Quote from: Sitara on August 01, 2012, 01:56:22 PM
Having your mattress directly on the ground sucks the heat out. We are ever so much warmer now that we put our air mattress on top of a cot.

We also use a spare cheap sleeping bag opened up and spread out on top of the air mattress to insulate us from the cold air in the mattress.

For when we want a more period look we sewed a big envelope out of a couple plain sheets to camouflage the air mattress. We also use some cheap garage sale find Persian-style carpets over our plastic ground tarps which also helps insulate from the cold ground -and no bare ground before you grab your shoes/slippers in the middle of the night.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Sitara

Quote from: groomporter on August 02, 2012, 06:56:36 PM
Quote from: Sitara on August 01, 2012, 01:56:22 PM

We also use a spare cheap sleeping bag opened up and spread out on top of the air mattress to insulate us from the cold air in the mattress.

For when we want a more period look we sewed a big envelope out of a couple plain sheets to camouflage the air mattress. We also use some cheap garage sale find Persian-style carpets over our plastic ground tarps which also helps insulate from the cold ground -and no bare ground before you grab your shoes/slippers in the middle of the night.

We also use an extra sleeping bag underneath us and cover our tent floor with carpet remnants. Nobody will see ours though since it's behind scenes so we don't bother camouflaging anything.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 02, 2012, 12:14:04 PM
Apparently, Nim doesn't mind me having the blondes. The last time I mentioned it, she said, "Sure! Go ahead and try it!"

She just wants to watch you try to catch them...  :P  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on August 07, 2012, 12:07:20 AM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 02, 2012, 12:14:04 PM

She just wants to watch you try to catch them...  :P  :D

That and watching you trying to work all of the remote adapters that you will need. ::) ;D :)
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Random Girl

A real bed (air mattresses are cold) and flush toilets...though I must say whatever scent they are using in the blue water this year is actually really nice.  MMMM the fresh cleaned privy smell.
~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

angusmacinnes

There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Dinobabe

Canvas painters cloth with plastic backing for my ground cloth.  Washable, water proof, period on top!!!  $20 at Lowe's...  ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Aderin

Quote from: Dinobabe on September 12, 2012, 01:24:54 PM
Canvas painters cloth with plastic backing for my ground cloth.  Washable, water proof, period on top!!!  $20 at Lowe's...  ;D

Wow, I will have to snatch this idea if you don't mind! Any other tips for camping budget friendly?
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.