News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2010 dates?

Started by andy, October 05, 2009, 05:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

Anyone have any idea at all what weekend the fest might open next year? It seemed like it was the second weekend in August for a few years then got pushed back a week or so. I could be wrong...
Roses are red, violets are blue. I like peanut butter. Can you swim?

TheFerret

Last I heard, Labor day weekend will always be the third weekend.
Ferret
Wench #1486
Bard #245
Sweet Shouter for Seventh Sojourn Soaps
I've got ADOS: Attention Deficit OOOH Shiny!

William_MacKean

Quote from: TheFerret on October 05, 2009, 05:48:43 PM
Last I heard, Labor day weekend will always be the third weekend.

This is a plan that needs to go away.  Sales are have to be greater on that first weekend in August than this last weekend in October.  Weather is better.  Sunlight is still around.

I have heard and contemplated the reasoning, and I can say that I 100% disagree with their conclusion.

But I gladly will be there whichever days they decide.  It is my job.  And no patron will hear about it from me on stage.

Charlotte Rowan

Yeah, the later start seemed like a good idea the first couple of weekends when attendance was at record highs... but after this last weekend, I'm not so sure. Once we hit October, weather becomes even more of a gamble than it normally is. But I, too, will show up when they tell me to.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Nikita

I'm pretty sure I recall when 2nd weekend in August was the start always before they started to muck around with things.
Everyday is a challenge and gift

Storm

Personally, I like that faire ran into October and I hope it stays that way. Yes this past weekend was cold, wet and rainy, but I can remember that for about the previous 3 or 4 years the weather was beautiful on that 1st weekend of October. I remember thinking to myself on those weekends that it was too bad faire was not still going on. I don't mind the colder weather. It allows me to wear some of my favorite garb in comfort. I can wear my great coat and my leather doublet and not turn into a puddle of sweat!

Personally, I would prefer dealing with a cool autumn day on the 50's then a hot and humid summer day in the 90's. We have far too many of them still in early to mid August. Some of those earlier faire dates in August were miserable because of the hot and humid weather in past years.

Goody

Quote from: Storm on October 06, 2009, 02:49:33 PM
Personally, I like that faire ran into October and I hope it stays that way. Yes this past weekend was cold, wet and rainy, but I can remember that for about the previous 3 or 4 years the weather was beautiful on that 1st weekend of October. I remember thinking to myself on those weekends that it was too bad faire was not still going on. I don't mind the colder weather. It allows me to wear some of my favorite garb in comfort. I can wear my great coat and my leather doublet and not turn into a puddle of sweat!

Personally, I would prefer dealing with a cool autumn day on the 50's then a hot and humid summer day in the 90's. We have far too many of them still in early to mid August. Some of those earlier faire dates in August were miserable because of the hot and humid weather in past years.

I totally agree! pLUS i WAS ABLE TO ATTEND OPENING SINCE MY HOMETOWN FESTIVAL IS 3RD WKEND IN aUG!

NugBlazer

Hmm... I disagree.  Cool autumn days in the 50's don't bring as many patrons in, and that's just a fact.  I know, sometimes it's nice when there aren't alot of patrons, but it's much better for Fest if it's hopping.  I don't like hot 90 degree days either, but I'd rather have that with lots of customers than the opposite.

Also, the last weekend two years ago was rainy, cold and muddy as hell.  Just like this year, but worse.
Well met!  Shall we commence a Safety Meeting at once?

Storm

Quote from: NugBlazer on October 08, 2009, 02:01:05 AM

Hmm... I disagree.  Cool autumn days in the 50's don't bring as many patrons in, and that's just a fact.  I know, sometimes it's nice when there aren't alot of patrons, but it's much better for Fest if it's hopping.  I don't like hot 90 degree days either, but I'd rather have that with lots of customers than the opposite.

Also, the last weekend two years ago was rainy, cold and muddy as hell.  Just like this year, but worse.

It does not matter what time of year it is. If it is rainy and muddy people won't be coming out period, and that's just a fact.

I remember an opening weekend not to long ago where it was rainy and muddy out there and hardly anyone was there then either. It is what it is. Bad weather means people stay home regardless of the time of year.

It's all a moot point anyway. From what I have heard the decision has already been made by the powers that be. They want 4 weekends of faire after Labor Day (that's going to mean running into the 1st weekend of October many years. It won't be until 2012 that there will be 4 weekends in September after Labor Day again) and that's just the way it's going to be whether we like it or not.

switch

We had fun in the mud    :)

Not sure how other days are, but we both thought the last day was pretty crowded. 
Movie buff extraordinaire!

andy

The MN Ren Fest website says the opening date for 2010 will be August 21st! Counting the days already. Huzzah!
Roses are red, violets are blue. I like peanut butter. Can you swim?

Ferret

248 days and 12 hours.
Ferret

Muffin

no no no no no!! It is too early to countdown!! LOL!! My feet still hurt and my hands are still cold from the 2009 season!!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Lord Figaro

Sweetie, it's NEVER to early for a count down to fest.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

William_MacKean

Quote from: Muffin on December 18, 2009, 11:22:21 AM
no no no no no!! It is too early to countdown!! LOL!! My feet still hurt and my hands are still cold from the 2009 season!!

I agree.

As much as I loved fest this year, this silly October schedule crap has me remembering the cold and dark of the last weekend.  The endless rain kinda sucked, too.