News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What I learned at CRF this weekend:

Started by Malkavian, October 11, 2009, 06:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malkavian

Lairde Guardn

They have a gate show.......wow, what I miss because of Tailgate....
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Malkavian

Quote from: Lairde Guardn MCrack on November 04, 2009, 04:09:45 AM
They have a gate show.......wow, what I miss because of Tailgate....

From the sound of it you come out the winner sir  ;D

will paisley

Quote from: shirefriar on November 03, 2009, 05:40:51 PM
I wield to RatherUnwieldly who might know more, but I think you're right. The Nottingham Players director must have clearly written the first show which is fresh and very funny. Something to note: they have a different show for each morning gate, very commendable. The fair would have been smart to just let the same dude rewrite the rest for them. I spoke to a lady at the front gate named Debbie who said how frustrating it was because the Players, who write/sing a good deal of music for the faire, had written some special tunes just for the gateshow and the band wouldn't play for them. They couldn't get any cooperation from the entertainment director either. Yet they play that Tonight Show music instead. What a waste. RatherUnwieldly said it best: they stick to their own traditions. Like most fairs and cliques, they probably don't like others with such talent coming in with better ideas.

My first question (which RatherUnwieldly can probably answer as well) is whether the Nottingham Players are actual cast (who are required to show up for the entire rehearsal process) or just performers (who typically don't show up until opening day, and are not generally included in the planning process). Any set material cast members are going to perform have to be learned and rehearsed, and this ideally starts during the first few weeks of rehearsal.  Musical numbers can be even more problematic; ideally the musicians would have the music before rehearsals for cast even start.  I remember the lead of our minstrels guilde being handed a stack of brand new dance music the first weekend of rehearsals.  She had to tell the dance instructor that the guilde wouldn't be ready to perform all the music by opening day.  I do agree, however, that there can be a "not invented here" attitude, especially if the people proposing the new ideas are new.  Sometime a director can get so much advice that they develop an attitude of "If everybody's going to tell me how to do my job, what do they need me for?".  On the third hand, I understand the appeal of playing the Tonight Show.  People, especially people like Joe Turkeyleg, often don't respond well to music they haven't heard over and over again.  If you've ever performed music in front of an audience, you know that the phrase you'll hear over and over again is "Play something we know!".  On the fourth hand, I've both heard about and witnessed firsthand some "issues" with management there (none of which I'd care to discuss on a public forum).
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

shirefriar

From what I was told by Tom, they're a troupe that's been around a very long time and apart from the cast. But unlike stage acts that don't show up till opening day as you said, they are unlike any other in their dedication. The director or creator of the group has been on site months rehearsing them and writing new material just for this faire. That's dedication to a fair and your actors.

My hat's off to you Ratherunwieldly for all you've given us.

Quote from: will paisley on November 04, 2009, 09:42:04 AM
Quote from: shirefriar on November 03, 2009, 05:40:51 PM
I wield to RatherUnwieldly who might know more, but I think you're right. The Nottingham Players director must have clearly written the first show which is fresh and very funny. Something to note: they have a different show for each morning gate, very commendable. The fair would have been smart to just let the same dude rewrite the rest for them. I spoke to a lady at the front gate named Debbie who said how frustrating it was because the Players, who write/sing a good deal of music for the faire, had written some special tunes just for the gateshow and the band wouldn't play for them. They couldn't get any cooperation from the entertainment director either. Yet they play that Tonight Show music instead. What a waste. RatherUnwieldly said it best: they stick to their own traditions. Like most fairs and cliques, they probably don't like others with such talent coming in with better ideas.

My first question (which RatherUnwieldly can probably answer as well) is whether the Nottingham Players are actual cast (who are required to show up for the entire rehearsal process) or just performers (who typically don't show up until opening day, and are not generally included in the planning process). Any set material cast members are going to perform have to be learned and rehearsed, and this ideally starts during the first few weeks of rehearsal.  Musical numbers can be even more problematic; ideally the musicians would have the music before rehearsals for cast even start.  I remember the lead of our minstrels guilde being handed a stack of brand new dance music the first weekend of rehearsals.  She had to tell the dance instructor that the guilde wouldn't be ready to perform all the music by opening day.  I do agree, however, that there can be a "not invented here" attitude, especially if the people proposing the new ideas are new.  Sometime a director can get so much advice that they develop an attitude of "If everybody's going to tell me how to do my job, what do they need me for?".  On the third hand, I understand the appeal of playing the Tonight Show.  People, especially people like Joe Turkeyleg, often don't respond well to music they haven't heard over and over again.  If you've ever performed music in front of an audience, you know that the phrase you'll hear over and over again is "Play something we know!".  On the fourth hand, I've both heard about and witnessed firsthand some "issues" with management there (none of which I'd care to discuss on a public forum).

Femme Falchion

many pardons if I'm highjacking this thread but I too would like to share what I learned at CRF this past weekend;

1.  Playing in the dark can be soooo fun

2.  It's no wonder there is a thread called "Things that make me think of Molden"  and Lady M wears enchanted chainmaille

3.  If I don't stay still and stop cavorting I'll never get to see any of the great shows

4.  Keep a close eye on your chaperone when on a pub crawl........

5.  The Royal Guard Drum Jam is not to be missed

6.  The Raven/Jeremiah Wiggins continues to completely delight

7.  and the crepes are quite delish!

Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

shirefriar

I'd like to know more about playing in the dark!

Malkavian

Quote from: Femme Falchion on November 05, 2009, 01:07:10 PM
many pardons if I'm highjacking this thread but I too would like to share what I learned at CRF this past weekend;

I could hardly object to the arrival of someone with such an amazing reputation now could I?  ;D

Femme Falchion

So gracious!  Amazing reputation?  Have we met?  I do love just the notion of a reputation!   ;D :D ;)

Shirefriar & Malkavian this history ignorant neo-hippy  ;) shall be returning again tomorrow to enjoy the best fantasy / giant beer party in the woods.  Please introduce yourself if you recognize me (or my reputation in tow) since I have no images to identify you. 
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

Wandering Rogue

Ah me fair Femme....me sees you will be at faire on the morrow....I am looking forward to seeing you again!
Ale cures what ails you
A full tankard is a happy tankard

Molden

...that droppin' in for a cold one at the end o' the day is no simple thing!

1 hour from the last turn off of Davidson-Concord Rd t' the turn t' enter the grounds. I was blown away at th' number of folks (TONS of 'em) that were going in at 3 pm!!! Who'd a thunk? I mean - I'm a season pass holder, so poppin' in for the last few hours is no biggie. What surprised me was the number going in for the last few hours and paying FULL admission! WOW!

That the parking attendants are a "little challenged"... Seriously - not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

It got better at the gates tho - The lass that handled my pass at the ticket booth asked how long I was in traffic to get there. I told her about the hour wait and the parking gig...to which she immediately apologized. I grinned and looked back over my shoulder at the parking lot and asked "You got THAT kinda power??? To affect all of THAT?!?!" and winked at her. She laughed and thanked me for understanding. Seriously - not her fault. She said that many coming in thought it was...geez.

But it was all worth it after wading through the dust and MASS of humanity to get a cold beer, find my Lady, her "Sister", and many goode friends hangin' out in their usual haunt.  8)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

justsomeguytn

Molden,

The first year I came to Carolina the parking attendants were trying to pack the cars in bumper to bumper, no lane between to pull out.  That is until people noticed what they were doing and refused to move.  Management came out and corrected the situation though.

will paisley

Quote from: Molden on November 08, 2009, 10:10:06 PM
...that droppin' in for a cold one at the end o' the day is no simple thing!

1 hour from the last turn off of Davidson-Concord Rd t' the turn t' enter the grounds. I was blown away at th' number of folks (TONS of 'em) that were going in at 3 pm!!! Who'd a thunk? I mean - I'm a season pass holder, so poppin' in for the last few hours is no biggie. What surprised me was the number going in for the last few hours and paying FULL admission! WOW!

That the parking attendants are a "little challenged"... Seriously - not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

It got better at the gates tho - The lass that handled my pass at the ticket booth asked how long I was in traffic to get there. I told her about the hour wait and the parking gig...to which she immediately apologized. I grinned and looked back over my shoulder at the parking lot and asked "You got THAT kinda power??? To affect all of THAT?!?!" and winked at her. She laughed and thanked me for understanding. Seriously - not her fault. She said that many coming in thought it was...geez.

But it was all worth it after wading through the dust and MASS of humanity to get a cold beer, find my Lady, her "Sister", and many goode friends hangin' out in their usual haunt.  8)

A friend of mine portrays Thomas Tallis at another faire, and is usually working the lanes, dressed in killer nobles garb and playing a small ship's spinet (virginal), whihc is basically a small harpsicord.  One day a lady walks by him, and after he gives his standard greeting of "Well met, milady, and how fare you this den?", replies with "F*** you and your little piano, where's the beer?". Turns out that the lady spent TWO HOURS waiting in line to park, then waiting in line to get a ticket.  Given the heat, her first priority was getting something cold to drink.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

JimF

Since someone else already hijacked this thread (theoretically), I'll add my what I learned as a returning visitor.

I definitely like getting there 15 - 20 minutes before the gate opens, but I could easily be persuaded to leave around 1 PM  :)

I found I still know how to use a bow and arrow without hurting myself, or others (at least not intentionally!), after 40+ years. Despite the poor quality bows and arrows at the archery booth, I still managed to put all but 2 of the arrows into the target. Of course, I also got reminded about why one should wear a archer's bracer. The nasty red, black and blue discoloration on my arm should be gone in a week or so!

Finally, food. My only dislike of the faire is that the food is pretty mediocre and a bit too pricey. So what I learned was to eat a large breakfast before going and just snack when needed during the day.

A very enjoyable day, again. Nexzt year, season pass? Costumes? Probably.

"Are you a Mod or a Rocker?"
"No, I'm a Mocker."