News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Movie List - Dark Ages through Renaissance

Started by Baroness Doune, May 24, 2008, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baroness Doune

QuoteOriginally posted by Morgan Dreadlocke:
Should we be deletin' our previous posts as they gets added to the list? This topic could run MANY pages  ???

I think the old posts should stay.  I rather like the longer descriptions (I promptly ordered The Navigator:  A Time Travel Adventure) and additional suggestions, even though they are OOP.
There were topics on the old board that ran into many, many pages.

But maybe a sticky might be in order.  Amras?

Scribe_Wear

Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Henry VIII 2003 with Ray Winestone (Best Henry I have seen to date
The Vikings 1958 Kurt Douglas, Tony Curtis
Queen Margot 1993 Foriegn Film
Prince of Foxes  1949 Tyrone Powers, Orson Wells
The Prince and the Pauper 1937 Errol Flynn
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

CountessofPhoenix

El Greco (1966)-about the artist in renaissance Spain, during the Inquisition. Fantastic costumes
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Tom

Don't know how (or if) these fit in but:

Erik the Viking - 1989

The 13th Warrior - 1999
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband

Drake Starsong

Good job on the list...kind of depressing that I own near 80% of all the titles listed..my options for finding more movies to watch are starting to slim to "yet to be released" titles lol
Yo ho Yo ho!

Scarlett

Wow - I haven't been on this thread since my original post.  How the list has grown!  Brava Baroness for taking the initiative!

Anyway, after investigating the actual time periods, I have only two more to add:

Ren - Lorna Doone (2000)
Dark Ages - Tristan & Isolde (2006)

It seems the rest of the films I had in mind are set in the early to mid 1700s, and it appears the 1600s is the cut off here.

Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Baroness Doune

Lorne Doone is set in the time period of Monmouth's Rebellion (1685) in Exmoor, Devonshire.  But it looks like an interesting movie that I will need to add to my Blockbuster list.  The IMBD mentions a 1951 version.

CountessofPhoenix

The Agony and the Ecstacy about Michaelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel, Starring Charleton Heston and Rex Harrison  (1965)
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Morgan Dreadlocke

Spent a month goin' through an old catalogue last night. Thousands of titles to look through. Can't vouch fer most of 'em but theres a few I though interesting enough to post here-

Dr Faustus  '68 Richard Burton**
Becket  '64 Peter O'Toole
King Lear  '74 James Earl Jones
Crucible  '96 Wynona Ryder  16th c witch hunting
Circle of Iron  '78 David Carridine  Fantasy about Kung Fu philosophy**
The Cobbler and the Thief   animated  think this was Vincent Prices last work***
Mark of the Devil  '69 Herbert Lom  more middle ages witch hunting
Captain from Castille  '47
Black Rose  '50 Orson Welles
Captain John Smith and Pocahantas  '53
Dungeons and Dragons  '00 Jeremy Irons**
The Kings Thief  '55 David Niven Roger Moore  King Charles II era
The Magic Sword  '62 Rasil Bathbone
Shogun  '80 Richard Chamberlain Toshiro Mifune*
Son of Ali Baba  '52 Tony Curtis
The Black Cauldron  Disney*

* seen it
** seen it and enjoyed it
*** just plain bizarre

There was tons of sub B grade stuff that should never see the light of day again. Lets not go there ;)
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Sweet T

Some of my faves...

The Black Shield of Falworth with Tony Curtis
SeaWolves with Errol Flynn
Elizabeth and Essex with Errol Flynn and Betty Davis

Regards,
Sweet T
www.yesteadyhands.com

Robin of Locksley

This is list is astonishing! Thank you Baroness Doune.  I will refer to it often.

I bet your movie collection is inspiring.  :'(

Poldugarian Warrior

I'm not sure what years but they are The Three Musketeers movies from the 70's starring Michael York.

I noticed The Three Musketeers wasn't listed at all in the first post or did I just not read it. At any rate this is one that should be added. It's much more say artistic than the 90's Disney version, but both are good watches either way. Also, The Musketeer is good action packed very good stunts.

Some other titles:

Fantasy/Fiction: Ever After (w/Drew Barrymoreand Dougray Scott movie based on Cinderella story)

Brotherhood of The Wolf (1700's circa based in France and about a Lord engineering a
                                                          beast that terrorizes the countryside)

The Count of Monte Cristo(Revenge flick set in the time of Napoleon)

Cutthroat Island(pirate movie with Matthew Modine and Geena Davis)

Shadow of The Sword(one boy raised in the church,one as a mercenary childhood
                                                      friends, but religion and duty coem between them.)

Dracula The Dark Prince( Filmed based and scenes are taking from the life of Vlad
                                                         Tepes, not a vampire flick.)
These are some of the titles in my collection. You already listed the others I have so it'd be redundant to list them here. The first list though is very good, it should get anyone whom is looking to start a medieval age/renaissance movie collection off on the right track.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

The Other Boleyn Girl made in 2003 TV with Natascha McElhone as Mary, Jodhi May as Anne and Jarred Harris and King Henry
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

BLAKDUKE

Baroness:

Not being critical, as the list is a marvelous effort on your part and I applaud it, but there is one small change that needs to be made.  Adventures of Don Juan needs to be removed from the middle ages list which ends at about mid 15th century to the renaissance period.  The movie was set in mid to later 16th century having made mention/reference in it of Phillip II and Q.E. I and Sir Francis Drake. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel