News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Movie List - Dark Ages through Renaissance

Started by Baroness Doune, May 24, 2008, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Once Debauched

I didn't see it on the list...

The Private Life of Henry VIII. - 1933  Stars Charles Laughton as King Henry.

I have this and The Virgin Queen with Bette Davis on VHS.  Guess I need to check if these are out on DVD as soon I won't be able to find a tape player other than at Goodwill.  *chuckle*
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

brier patch charlie

Other ones that should be there. 
  The man in the Iron Mask
  Too Kill a king.
Both are set in the 17th century. But very good.
Charles Coleman

renren

Quote from: tletourneau on May 30, 2008, 11:53:46 AM
Don't know how (or if) these fit in but:

Erik the Viking - 1989

The 13th Warrior - 1999

They get my vote! :D
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

DuCoeur

for purely entertainment value and cheese...

The Kings Guard (Ron Pearlman, Eric Roberts...Need I say more)
La Femme Musketeer (Michael York, Gerard Depardeau...)

Westender (small independent film)
The Last king (about Charles II)

Fantasy...Dungeons and Dragons and Dungeons and Dragons 2
Eragon
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Morgan Dreadlocke

Found at the dollar store during their 1/2 price sale-

The Pied Piper of Hamelin

Couldn't find a date on it. Its a cheezy costume semi musical farce with Van Johnson, Claude Rains and Jim Backus. Its an ok flick if you're under 10 or enjoy seeing distinguished actors in roles that MUST have involved blackmail.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

LadyShadow

I'm late at finding this post.  But I think I just got my movie list for the next year.  I need to go do some shopping  ;D
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Morgan Dreadlocke

FYI. According to evil-bay searches "The Black Shield of Falworth" is available on DVD and Blueray. I like the movie but just not $29 worth :o
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Morgan Dreadlocke

Two and a half years and nobodies mentioned- "THE COURT JESTER"??? ;D

The Lady Mercedes

Don't forget the Disney version of Hunchback! I thought it was rather good. :)
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Becky10

Quote from: Morgan Dreadlocke on December 04, 2010, 04:56:59 PM
Two and a half years and nobodies mentioned- "THE COURT JESTER"??? ;D

The pellet with the poisons in the flagon with the dragon.... ;D
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Poldugarian Warrior

The Disney version of Hunchback, my brother was mentioning it the other day, and the scenes are quite historically accurate for a cartoon. One, cartoon I love for being medieval/very early renaissance is the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty the live action one with Raquel Welch's daughter isn't bad either. Also, the Disney Robin Hood and Sword in the Stone. I'll make a list one of these days and post it if I haven't already, there are just too many to list.

Poldugarian Warrior

Blakduke you are quite right in your observations of time periods. It is quite hard to make these fine distinctions to the general viewing public, because when most people see sword fighting and costumes they think renaissance or medieval. I'm with you on this, I listed Count of Monte Cristo as such a film, but upon further review it takes place a little time after the Napoleonic Wars, so way ahead in time of the middle ages and renaissance, but again costumes and sword fighting. That's why I listed it as such. I didn't know that sword fighting was still done in that time. I thought dueling pistols were all the rage, but I guess in Europe the honor of fighting with a sword was still highly regarded.

BLAKDUKE

I have got a few more to add.  I hope I have not duplicated someone else, but I do recall seeing these and one of them,  had it appeared would have absolutely floored me.

1951  The Magic Carpet - This movie starred Lucille Ball.  Someone in an earlier post mentioned films involving blackmail,  
        well, that is what this one was.  L.Ball was under contract for one more film to Columbia, and the studio offered this
        thinking that she would not take it.  She fooled them, did the picture and exited Columbia immediatly after.  Also she
        was pregnant at the time.

1953  Master of Ballantrae --- Errol Flynn

1963  Swordsman of Sienna  -----  Stewart Granger

1952  Scaramouche  ----   Stewart Granger

1952  Prisoner of Zenda  ----  Stewart Granger

1953  Knights of the Round Table --- Robert Taylor

1952  Quo Vadis  --- Robert Taylor

1960  Solomon and Sheba --  Yul Brenner / Gina Lollabrigeda(sp)  This contains one of the most risque harem dances for the
        period.  I am surprised it made it past the censors.  If they made today she would have been naked.

Maybe I can think of some more later on.

PS:  I went back and looked at the thread title and those last 2 should not be listed since they are prior to the Dark Ages--- sorry 'bout that

PPS:  OMG  how could I forget

1950  Cyrano DeBergerac --- Jose Ferrer

and this next one has not seen the light of day for years, I am not sure a copy even exists any more

195?  Lady in the Iron Mask
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Poldugarian Warrior

I sort of class the age just before the fall of the Roman Empire, like the dark ages, an age of sword fighting and no real high-technology, so Blakduke, don't be too hard on yourself., those last two Quo Vadis and Solomon and Sheba, are no wlisted and thanks for sharing because now I'll hunt them down to see them. I like the real old stuff as well. In fact this thread should've been entitled any movie that dealt with history before the age of Napoleon.

dragongirl

Wow, there are tons of movies that I ned to see on this list.  However, here are 3 more that should be added.

Stealing Heaven-1988 the movie is set in the 12th century and tell the true story of Peter Abolard and Heloise

Princess of Thieves-2001  Tells the story of the daughter of Robin and Marion made for tv movie

Gwenevere-1994 Tells the story of Camalot and King Aurthur from his queens prospective

Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood