News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Potty Potty Potty!

Started by bellevivre, October 12, 2009, 04:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

Maybe I'm just getting old, but the portaloos at TRF this weekend seemed fouler than usual. I want my own loo!

suggestions for the packable loo? We need something that's not huge, that's easy cleanup, and that wont be an issue with any type of waste and paper (not concerned with needing to clean it daily, as long as that's a pretty hassle-free prospect)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

RenRobin

Belle,
Before we got our chemical toilet for the pop up, we used Home Depot bucket with trash can liners and kitty litter.  Of course it was fitted with a seat thanks to the d/h.  At one time we also found a bedside
potty, the kind that bed bound patients use next to their beds, we found that at salvation army.
Loki-terr (in training)

bellevivre

now, why didnt i think about kitty litter? I mean, it's not as if, with three cats, we shouldnt already own STOCK in the stuff!

just throw some down after business, correct?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

RenRobin

Exactly!  We encouraged everyone to do #2 inside faire or at the front gate potties.  Cover your business so the next person does not have to see it. 

Suggestion do not let it get too full before you switch out bags.  We always bring contractor bags for the big trash can with a lid and transfer them to it, so the leakage will be minimum. :o
Loki-terr (in training)

sealion

I *LOVE* my wag bags! http://www.thepett.com/index.php?PageLayout=PRODUCTS&pageID=95
I used them in a 5 gal bucket with a Luggable Loo seat on it for ten days during Pennsic and using each bag three or four times before switching them out and never had an odor problem (it was it my tent, not a seperate potty tent). They are a bit pricy at $35 for a box of 12 from Cabelas but worth every cent to me!
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

dragongirl

Another option, one that I have on my to do list for Pennsic, is a portable folding cammode.  We used to have one that we used when my father was bedriden with cancer, after he passed it was also used to potty train my sister's 2 younger boys and for tent camping until it finally died.   Here is the link to the one I've been watching. http://www.brucemedical.com/fopoco.html
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

brier patch charlie

Bell,
I made my own out of scrap wood, a box with a folding lid, and use a 5 gal bucket, and use trash bags as the liner. And to see it you wouldn't know it the loo. And it fits in with all of my period garb in my tent. It only cost me the time to make it.
Charles Coleman

jerseykat

Check this link for the box type.   Nice box that hides the evil!
http://www.housebarra.com/projects/boxchair/index.html

sealion

I'm tellin' ya whatever kid of box seat you want to put them in Wag Bags are the best thing ever! No Odor! No mess!
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Lady von Groper

Quote from: sealion on October 12, 2009, 08:05:06 PM
I *LOVE* my wag bags! http://www.thepett.com/index.php?PageLayout=PRODUCTS&pageID=95
I used them in a 5 gal bucket with a Luggable Loo seat on it for ten days during Pennsic and using each bag three or four times before switching them out and never had an odor problem (it was it my tent, not a seperate potty tent). They are a bit pricy at $35 for a box of 12 from Cabelas but worth every cent to me!

Wow, you took your own toilet to Pennsic?  That was one of the things I appreciated most about Pennsic - that the Porta-Privvys were cleaned out 2-3 times a day (at least on the Serengeti), and they never got overly nasty.  But having your own potty right in your tent next to your bed sure does save one a trip in the middle of the night!
Lady Von Groper
IWG #3725
Gnom'n M'Crack - Pet to Flog'n
1st Mate & Cheek Inspector of pirate ship The Roaming Gnome

dragongirl

[Wow, you took your own toilet to Pennsic?  That was one of the things I appreciated most about Pennsic - that the Porta-Privvys were cleaned out 2-3 times a day (at least on the Serengeti), and they never got overly nasty.  But having your own potty right in your tent next to your bed sure does save one a trip in the middle of the night!
[/quote]

I have a ubcket in my tent at Pennsic for a Thunder Jug also.  The potties on the Ghetti are always clean but the middle of the night loo run drunk in the rain?  Not a pretty sight.  BTW Lady Von Groper, where on the Ghetti do you camp?  I camp with Otto's Cove on the corner right across from the A&S Dance Tent.  For weeks after I am hearing the music in my sleep...lol
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Lady von Groper

[/quote]

I have a ubcket in my tent at Pennsic for a Thunder Jug also.  The potties on the Ghetti are always clean but the middle of the night loo run drunk in the rain?  Not a pretty sight.  BTW Lady Von Groper, where on the Ghetti do you camp?  I camp with Otto's Cove on the corner right across from the A&S Dance Tent.  For weeks after I am hearing the music in my sleep...lol
[/quote]

I'm in the Sternfeld Baronial Encampment, N15, next door to the Roma vardos (Fosse way/Brewers Road).  I know about those drunken privy runs in the dead of night.  I've done that, and suddenly found myself taking the 'long way' back to my campsite and seeing the sites of the Serengeti.  I must have done the whole area before I managed to find my tent again!  :D
Lady Von Groper
IWG #3725
Gnom'n M'Crack - Pet to Flog'n
1st Mate & Cheek Inspector of pirate ship The Roaming Gnome

Chris

I'm doing almost exactly what sealion does. I bought the portable loo seat at Bass Pro to put on one of my 5gal buckets. then I put in some of the stuff for camper toilet and add about 1/2 gal water to get it mixed. When packing up to leave, just take off the seat, put on the regular lid for the bucket(TIGHTLY, of course), and when getting home, empty the bucket in the regular 'throne' in the house and thoroughly clean the bucket for use next time out. :)

The Doctor Alt 8

I am making a mental note of this... so far everywhere  I've been there have been facilities available... this might cover my options should it not be the case.

dfloyd888

For showers, I'm looking at the Zodi battery powered hot water heater that uses propane tanks.

Looks like Cabelas is going to be a place where I'm going to be spending a lot of cash at.  They have some decent tents, showers, and toilets that will make setting up a camp pretty nice.

groomporter

Our friends at J Henderson Artifacts http://artifacts.brigandsfolie.com/ make chamber pots among the other stoneware products.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?