News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where Sterling Has Stood In Terms of the Renaissance Festivals of The USA?

Started by Cobaltblu, May 24, 2008, 05:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobaltblu

I have heard in more than one place that Sterling is the "gem of renaissance festivals".  I certainly agree that Sterling is a very nice festival with a wonderful plot of land and buildings and atmosphere and entertainment.

I looked at websites of other faires and many are sponsored by major corporations like Pepsi and so on...and don't appear to have anywhere near as nice a plot of land.  I would be very surprised if I found a faire with a better physical layout or physical atmosphere.

Historically how has Sterling been seen or ranked amongst festivals?  I've had many people on these forums say "Oh I heard Sterling is really good".

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Lady_Glorianna

Sterling is one of the oldest running faires (30+ years). One of the main factors for Sterling's reputation is the environment or the "feel". Care in the placement and building of permanent structures, the look of the grounds are prime examples. Another element is management committment not only reflected on the previous but also in the hiring of personel (ie artistic directors, actors, etc)knowledgeable and passionate towards the subject matter (the renaissance period).
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

IndeanaSunday

Sterling is one of the most historically accurate Faires in the US. From the wares allowed to be sold by vendors, to the costuming, to policies regarding actors (i.e. No using plastic cutlery or paper napkins, speaking in dialect at all times), Sterling goes above and beyond to transport a guest of the Faire completely out of the 21st century. Independent performers are also held to similar standards to maintain the illusion. In a recent trip to a southern Faire, I noticed that the jousting field was enclosed by a green metal fence. Not very Elizabethan (or Tudor). For authenticity, come to Sterling.

DarkLord

Does the faire discourage playtrons who are not historically accurate?  I confess I was contemplating a visit to Sterling.  But dare I say, I may not be very period specific!!!  'Twould be rather annoying to travel several hours and not get in!
Bringer of Doom and Pestilence

Lady_Glorianna

The times I have been there, just like at any other faire, as long as you do not break the law, you can come dressed in whatever you like.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Ozium

Don't worry about it Darklord, I have seen many different and strange beings at Sterling.

Come and Enjoy.
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

Drake Starsong

Never fear, while there are many who dress period, there are many who do not. You will see your share of dwarves, elves, and everything in between. My group tends to dress according to out D&D characters :P
Yo ho Yo ho!

MMario

photomike

Don't forget "midevil kinevil" that was here a couple years ago. I wonder if Elvis will be back too?
*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

DarkLord

Bringer of Doom and Pestilence

IndeanaSunday

Last year there was also a small person (either a very small man or a teenager) who wore a life-sized bat costume. Seriously. Head to foot in an all black bat costume, complete with wings and talons and a mask and everything. It was weird.

Ozium

Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

Cobaltblu

I found this video on youtube of "Chris the Robot" playing pillow fight and that rope ladder game at Sterling in 2007.

Interestingly he seems to have copied his character from "Awesome-O" from Southpark.

Thankfully I didn't witness "Chris the Robot"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCIlPWc4F3s

Regards,

CB

Sir Douglas of Waterbury

Im sorry if the presence of cash registers concerned you. During the preparation to close the sale it was drilled in my head by many who had worked there including the former owners that there was an awful lot of money not winding up in the fairs bank deposits and unfortunately it has required us to implement a few changes. It is paramount to me that we maintain the integrity and authenticity at Sterling and people seem happy with the restoration efforts of our shire many new and wondrous things are on their way in the turn around process over the next five years I pledge to you all to do my very best to adhere to the high standards and traditions long associated with Sterling.

Cobaltblu

Cash registers are no problem.  I actually didn't even notice them when I attended opening weekend.  However when I saw the earlier post regarding them I came to the same conclusion...that maybe on occasion people were taking something for themselves.

Regards,

CB

irish

Sir Douglas.....You have no reason to be sorry for protecting your assets! I for one, see no problem for having cash registers at the food booths or 'pubs'. Helps the staff, make less 'mistakes', when making change.
Also, when a person uses a credit card, buying from a different type of vendor, a 'machine' is used for that transaction. What would be the difference, between the two? Not a thing!
I do hope to get the chance to say hello, in person!
irish  ;D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

The Bunny People

Sir Douglas,
I too saw the cash registers at some of the food booths and fully understand where they were coming from.  Smart business move.  It was a pleasure to meet you in person.  I am more than happy with the way the faire is making a comeback.  We'll be praying for good weather.
Maxwell the Magician of the Bunny People

danielscott

I have been to Sterling many times during the 1990's. Now I live very close to the Bristol Fair in SE Wisconsin. I have to give a slight edge to the Sterling Faire. The Sterling site has a little more character and sort of winds down a hill. Being an older faire, has more of a lived-in feel. Even the Trees seem older and bigger. The Bristol fair is fantastic, but the land is flat and a bit more open.
Sterling has that magical tucked-away in the woods feel. At least that was my impression. I can't compare the talent because I have no idea who is performing out in Sterling these days. When I was there the swordsmen, Don Juan and Miguel seemed to be the big draw.
-Daniel
Where's the Beer Tent!

MMario

Lairde Guardn

This thread has created an interest.......And with the newest chapter of the Clan M'Crack having been formed at Sterling, looks like I will be able to judge for myself as it is on my list of places to visit, and plan to make the M'Crack Family Gathering in Sterling in 2009.   Just thought I would share
a statement I heard not long ago.......

you know that feel you get when you walk into Scarborough... like you just walked back in time......Sterling is almost the same.....you just can't find that feeling at any other faires.

Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

lordwriothsley

To be honest with you Sterling has been a faire that i've wanted to visit for quite some time now.I h ave heard nothing but good things about that faire in the short time i have been doing renn faires all together.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Timoteo

Sterling is definitely nice, and the grounds are pretty, and some of the performers are probably among the best in the business (Mira the gypsy comes to mind).

However, some ren faires have more room at the jousting field and offer seating. I visited Sterling on August 3rd, where the ground was a little damp in places, and it was downright dangerous on one side, trying to get to the back grasses. People were slipping in muck on the slope. There were ample parking spaces, but getting around in the field required driving through thick patches of mud at times. (Maybe a little gravel would hit the spot on the main paths there.) All that just to sit down on the damp, muddy grass. From the packed crowds we encountered all day, I can't help but wonder if they could have afforded some benches or something so one wouldn't have to sit on the damp, muddy ground. Also, the jousting field should be expanded a bit. Maybe in the earlier days they didn't have such tight crowds. It definitely detracted from the jousting event itself.

It additionally seemed a bit far from civilization and hotels. Bristol has Kenosha. Kansas City has Kansas City. For people who are already traveling to get to the thing, it's too bad that you can't find nice lodging within a few minutes' drive.

I still think it's worth a look for most people though. The jam-packed crowds are a sign that something good is happening at Sterling.

Sir Douglas of Waterbury

In the next couple of years we will be building a 5,000 seat jousting arena/amphitheater with seating. This has been the rainiest summer in many years and even though the parking lot has drainage this year we have been challenged in that department look for steady upgrades in the future.  Thank You.

irish

Great news, Sir Douglas! I know the rains have been a trial for you, but I have to say, the faire is going to grow, better and better! (there's a pun in there..... :D)
I wish you continued success!
irish
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

IndeanaSunday

Huzzah jousting theatre!! I'm very excited to see so many new things pop up. I just hope the faire never looks "modern". I love it's rustic, wood and brick and grass look so much.  :)