News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cleaning Feathers

Started by Auryn, October 13, 2009, 02:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

I was hoping someone here would know.
I have access to lots of awesome feathers: duck, guinea, roosters, peacock etc from live birds.
The feathers are generally clean, free of dirt, bugs etc.
But I was wondering if I should be cleaning/washing them in any way before using them in garb???

I would think it would help to clean them but I don't know how to do it without ruining the feather, especially of the non waterfowl.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Casche

This topic had a whole buncha information on feather care.  As for if you should wash them before using them, my uninformed opinion would be that it couldn't hurt.

Adriana Rose

I see no problem with giving the feathers a little dunk in water before you use them. Just dont mess with them too much because the oils off your fingers LOVE wet feathers and then they get all droopy and matted.

When they are dry give em a good shake and they are good as new ;D

Gwen aka Punstergal

The quick primer for feather care article I wrote recently for somebody else on the forum can be found here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5419516_care-feathers.html?shared=true . It's a primer on feather care and preservation, with how-to tips on repairing droopy, dirty, nibbled-at, and misshapen feathers, amongst other things.
--- Hope that helps!
--- Gwendolynn
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Auryn

As usual you lot are a wealth of knowledge

thank you so very very much
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec