News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

big open space on front page

Started by madmolly, May 24, 2008, 05:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmolly

When I first click on RF I get the home page with all the links on the left side of the page. And there is a big open space on the right. Could we put something in it? Say, like a pic of the week? Seems like an awful waste of space to me.

Just wondering.......
No power in the 'Verse can stop me....

NoBill Lurker

You know thats a really good idea there Madmolly!

( Would that be considered thinking outside the inside of the box? )
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

DeadBishop

I guess I'm not seeing this "big white space" you're referring to.  Could you perhaps do a screen grab to illustrate? 

R/F.com member since 2003

Melkar

Are you perhaps referring to the space below the poll question & "Who's online" on the right hand column?
BCNU,
  Melkar

NoBill Lurker

Quote from: Melkar on May 24, 2008, 09:57:00 PM
Are you perhaps referring to the space below the poll question & "Who's online" on the right hand column?

That's the one I thought Madmolly was referring to meself.
I'm going to BARF!!!

Lady_Glorianna

I thought she was referring to the page you get when you either go to www.renaissancefestival.com or click on RF Home. Below the top banner next to the menu I also get a big balnk space. Mayhaps a list of the upcoming faires could go there just as we had in the previous homepage?
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

DeadBishop

I believe I figured out the mystery of the "blank space".  There isn't one.  What's happening is the web browser some people are using isn't working right and loading the home page incorrectly. Below are two examples.  If it's not loading right, I suggest updating your browser or using a different one altogether.

The first image is how the front page should look if your browser is working correctly. 

The second image shows the problem some members are having.  The front page should not look like this.

Elinor Hakebourne

The former screenshot is what I've been getting :)

NoBill Lurker

Hey DB...

Firefox gave me the first image.  ;D
I thought that they were talking about that half column of white on the bottom right hand side...
And yes I can see if your browser isn't loading right, someone would wonder about all that space is going to waste.
I'm going to BARF!!!

William Blackheath

How would I go about updating my browser?  I have Comcast at home and MSN at work, and both start with the blank screen.  But when I hit the "News" button at the left the first screen comes up.  No big deal, just curious.

anne of oaktower

Just my opinion, but I think it would be great if we could replace all that other stuff on the front page with some faire related stuff.  The "newsflash" stuff doesn't really show any newsflashes anyway, so mayhap it could be dressed up a wee bit?
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

DeadBishop

Quote from: anne of oaktower on May 26, 2008, 11:29:12 AM
Just my opinion, but I think it would be great if we could replace all that other stuff on the front page with some faire related stuff.  The "newsflash" stuff doesn't really show any newsflashes anyway, so mayhap it could be dressed up a wee bit?

That's the plan, but we have a lot of work ahead of us before we'll be able to do this.

DeadBishop

Quote from: William Blackheath on May 25, 2008, 05:50:55 PM
How would I go about updating my browser?  I have Comcast at home and MSN at work, and both start with the blank screen.  But when I hit the "News" button at the left the first screen comes up.  No big deal, just curious.

Make sure you're using the most current version of your web browser, otherwise if that doesn't work, try a different browser altogether.

madmolly

Yes, the second one is the one I'm getting. And the way my husband blocks everything, I'm not surprised. So I will be patient and wait and see how it all works out.
No power in the 'Verse can stop me....

anne of oaktower

Quote from: Deadbishop on May 26, 2008, 06:11:16 PM
That's the plan, but we have a lot of work ahead of us before we'll be able to do this.

Hey DB...in case I haven't said this already, thank you so much for all the hard work that you and John and the others put in to making this a wonderful place for us to be.  Please don't think of our suggestions as complaints or feel that we don't appreciate all that you have all done already for us.  I guess we all got a bit spoiled by the luxuries of our former home.  We know it will take time, and we'll be patient.  Keep up all the good work!
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."