News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Is it ok to smoke at faire?

Started by Valiss, October 15, 2009, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will paisley

Quote from: gypsylakat on October 17, 2009, 02:57:44 AM
I can't enjoy faire with my boyfriend because he's allergic to smoke, either he has to go sit in the car because of a light/sound sensitive migraine or has to stay home. Which is also why I haven't gotten a chance to get to know anyone at MDRF because the hang out spots are in the pubs, and while I have no problem with smoking, I'd like to enjoy time with my bf, and that's not the spot for him.

So *that* explains why I've never seen you at faire - I'm generally not away from the White Hart for more than an hour or two a day.  Although I don't smoke and don't like secondhand smoke, it doesn't make me physically ill, and I'm generally not bothered by it unless somebody smokiong is standing next to me.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

RSLeask

You're incredibly right, gypsy, that my statement wasn't put in a nice way.  I didn't intend it to be in a nice way.  People doing something not only illegal, but can cause serious problems for others just by their doing in a public place, isn't high on my "Oh, let's be sympathetic and understanding" list.  I mean, seriously, I walk by someone smoking up and pop a positive on a test a couple days later, that's on permanent record, not to mention making my continuing to hold a security clearance questionable.  A few months of being grilled by commander, security forces, court martial if they really don't believe it... on and on.  Not to mention that even if I'm cleared, I'm probably now on a watch program, where they scrutinize every little step I take both on station, and off, usually for about a year or so.  So yeah, if I'm a little testy about the subject, there's a big reason for it.

Just to be clear, I get just as angry with people that can't drink in moderation, and climb behind the wheel of a car.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Carl Heinz

Cigarettes are definitely no-no's for RPFS participants although smoking is permitted backstage.  There is a smoking area next to Friends of Faire and one or two others.

Minor rant-I've recently posted a note in Candles about the passing of The Shrew.  She had emphysema and continued to smoke.  I've been at the funerals of too many of my friends who smoked.  I quit a bit over 20 years ago after being a carton a week smoker for nearly thirty years.  I know it's hard to quit, but it is possible if your really want to.  It makes me feel sad to see young folks smoking because I don't think they really understand the damage they're doing to themselves. End of rant.

Clay pipes are generally acceptable for participants although they're generally not lighted.  As stated elsewhere, though, if you paid at the gate please use the designated smoking areas.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

RumbaRue

Just to clear things up, I'm a legal mj smoker and I need it for the severe pain in my hips and legs, and just to keep me settled down.
I am legally disabled and live on SSI.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Lord Clisto of York

I am going to the Cigar lounge later this afternoon to have a good Gurkah Gengis Kahn and scotch. Then finish it off with my pipe. Just thought I would throw this in away from faire. LOL..
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Carl Heinz

Ah, Clisto.  One of the friends I was thinking of is Ed (The Scribe) Westfield.  I think you might have known him at least from Scribe Network days.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

gypsylakat

Quote from: will paisley on October 19, 2009, 09:16:04 AM
Quote from: gypsylakat on October 17, 2009, 02:57:44 AM
I can't enjoy faire with my boyfriend because he's allergic to smoke, either he has to go sit in the car because of a light/sound sensitive migraine or has to stay home. Which is also why I haven't gotten a chance to get to know anyone at MDRF because the hang out spots are in the pubs, and while I have no problem with smoking, I'd like to enjoy time with my bf, and that's not the spot for him.

So *that* explains why I've never seen you at faire - I'm generally not away from the White Hart for more than an hour or two a day.  Although I don't smoke and don't like secondhand smoke, it doesn't make me physically ill, and I'm generally not bothered by it unless somebody smokiong is standing next to me.
yeah, it bites, plus I only get to go about twice a season :( we live about an hour and a half away and I'm a full time student and Resident Advisor for GMU... so... This season I went without the bf, as he was sick, but ended up introducing friends to faire :)
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Lord Clisto of York

Quote from: Carl Heinz on October 26, 2009, 07:28:42 PM
Ah, Clisto.  One of the friends I was thinking of is Ed (The Scribe) Westfield.  I think you might have known him at least from Scribe Network days.

Not sure at the moment.
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Carl Heinz

As I recall, he was also a Squire at Scarborough.  Kind of a sad/funny story was that his wife, Ellen, sent small quantities of his ashes around to be spread at various faire sites.  Since it was time for Northern during the time when it was being held in Vacaville, I asked her to send my bit to my folks' house since they lived near there.  I'd told Mom to expect it, but she wasn't home when delivered.  Since my Dad and I shared the same name, he opened it.  Being somewhat paranoid, he called the Sheriff thinking one of his political enemies was setting him up with some sort of drugs.  Mom got home at about the time they showed up and straightened things out.  At any rate, his ashes were spread by one of the guild members from horse back.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Birdinthelocker

oh yay, the smoking question

So far as I know it's allowed at TRF though I'm sure that the performers, like most Ren Fest's, are highly discouraged from smoking in the lanes, or while performing.
As a Captain Jack impersonator, halfway between fantasy and reality, I smoke... I DO try to be polite about it and sit off in a corner or around other people who are smoking.
I try to either get handrolled or cigars for the fair for more authenticity...
No flag no country, you can't have one.

knarlyknot

We sell smoking pipes at TRF and have had a cast member gain permission to smoke during faire.  I don't think cigarettes are ever appropriate, as they just stick out.  And courtesy should always be shown to those around you.

Birdinthelocker

Quote from: knarlyknot on October 27, 2009, 03:59:18 PM
We sell smoking pipes at TRF and have had a cast member gain permission to smoke during faire.  I don't think cigarettes are ever appropriate, as they just stick out.  And courtesy should always be shown to those around you.

Yes, I've seen the pipes at TRF and was quite impressed, I really need a new pipe since my last one died of "tile floor impact syndrome"
I would say that I think handrolled ciggs look fine.. at least they don't stick out to me. I'll only smoke modern cigarettes if it's my only option and when I do i try to cover the filter with my fingers..  ;D how sad is that ?
but, yes, one should always be as courteous as possible to those around you.. smoker or not :)
No flag no country, you can't have one.

Queen Bonnie

I remember Lord A's last visit to Scarby. He was so sick and had a hard time escaping the smoke. We did not realize how sick he was. He died of lung cancer very soon after Scarby.
I have a very hard time with smoke of any kind. There are many shows I can't see and many places I have to stay away from because of the smoke.  Most people are courteous- but there are so many smoking at faire! I think someone in garb smoking a ciggy looks - just not right. OK- kicking soap box away!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!