News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Tudor Tailor" tips

Started by gem, October 16, 2009, 04:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I thought it might be useful to put together a thread of tips, errata, etc, for patterns from The Tudor Tailor.

I was actually thinking of the book, but it might be a good idea to get comments on the patterns that they sell, as well.

If you've made up a garment from this book, and noticed something that might be helpful to others (information missing or unclear from the instructions, tips on sizing, etc), post it here!  We can then flip through the thread to see if there's any information on a piece we're interested in making.

Links to pictures of TT garments made up might be nice, too!

Henrician Coif

I'm making up the Henrician Coif (instructions on p. 143, sketch on 140), and I've noticed a couple of things.

1. The pattern is mislabeled.  It says, "Henrician Coif with Pleated Brim," but the pattern is for a plain brim.  I've looked all over, and AFAICT, there's no pleated-brim version anywhere in the book. (someone please correct me if that's wrong!)

2. The fit is a bit snug.  I have a smallish head and very thin hair, and if *I* find it snug...  Also, the bag (at 10") is almost too small to hold all of my hair (pinned up).  Both of these would probably be easy to make a little bigger, though.

3. Your life will be easier if you fold up the hem on the headband facing *before* you sew everything together.  (You cut two headband pieces.  One goes on the outside.  One is a facing in the lining to cover up the seams and raw edges.  Press one long side of this piece to the inside, up 1/2".)

Finished pix: FrontSide.

Genievea Brookstone

The coif looks really nice Gem.
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Margrett

Don't forget that there is also a Tudor Tailor yahoo group for help and suggestions:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tudor_Tailor_Reader/