News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tunic J/F

Started by Zoot, May 24, 2008, 09:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoot

Odd story behind this tunic...  in the autumn, a friend wanted to learn how to sew.  We set up a day to set forth... said friend and I went shopping for patterns and fabric, then had our "sewing clinic."

Said friend got bored after about two hours and abandonded project after the fabric was cut.  I felt bad and offered to finish sewing it, however stated that with Halloween then the Holidays around the corner, it would be a while before I could get to it.

We're moving in a week and a half, our movers are coming on Tuesday...  so I sewed the tunic yesterday contacted friend to say he could pick it up and...  he doesn't want it!!!!   ???  Maybe he feels weird for abandoning the project??? 

Anyway, so now I have this tunic.  The pattern is a basic one and it doesn't appear to be attempting to be historically accurate.  The instructions say to not hem the bottom edge, and cut/tear it (to make it look peasanty).  Also, the sleeves are  not hemmed either, simply folding into cuffs.

The neckline is supposed to have two eyelets (one each side of opening) and a piece of lacing to tie.

So here are my questions (looking for suggestions or ideas), since I'm finishing it off for my husband.  DH will dress for faire, but more or less to accompany me and therefore probably the simpler, the better:

1)  What type of bottom edge do you think would look best (I'm not going for HA, but don't like the teared/cut look per the instructions).  Just a regular straight stitched or blind hem?  Same for sleeves?

2)  Should I leave the neckline as it is or add the eyelets?  Is there an over style for men's tunics that is more popular at faire (again, HA isn't the issue).

3)  Since it's a pretty basic tunic, any ideas for the remaining ensemble?  (Again, the rest of the ensemble on the pattern doesn't appeal to me).

I know I can do whatever I want, but having set out to do this for somebody else, I suppose I wasn't expecting to have to make decisions about it for our own use! LOL

OH, it's 100% linen, a nice heavier weight (sorry - can't quote exact weight).

Thanks so much!

gem

That's the same pattern I used for Milord's rain tunic, which you can see here.  I actually made contrast cuffs and hem.  You probably don't want to do that now, but a band of simple Nordic-style trim would look really nice (I wouldn't put it right at the hem--but an inch or two above it).

As for something to wear with/over it... Milord's tunic has a black hood and cowl that I made from a pattern for monk's robes. I'd also add a nice belt, which will help give it a finished look.

It closes with clasps, which you could do if you want something decorative.  Hooks and eyes would work fine, too.

(I don't have an opinion about the hem issue.  My instinct is to do whichever you *want* to do.  A machine-stitched basic hemline won't be that visible from people at normal, polite distances that--for me--it would justify the work to do a blind hem (I'd have to do it by hand).  But if your machine does a blind hem, and it's just as easy for you... or if you want to hand-hem it... just pick whichever appeals to you most.

Zoot

That's really nice Gem.  I like how you used the facing for the contrast too... but I've already sewn that part in as  a regular facing.

I could still do a contrast at the sleeves and bottom...  hmmm I need to raid the stash....

Thanks for the pic - it's a great looking tunic.

If anybody else has used this, please post pics! 

Baroness Doune

I have used the pattern, but I made monk's robes.
The Baron

My brother - he is 6'4", so the outfit is a little short on him.
http://www.karen.htmlcreators.com/p4jim3.jpg

I made the hood from the pattern also, but didn't like it.  I found a hood pattern online that I liked better.  The tabard (that everyone who wears this is fond of putting their hands in) is just a rectangular panel with a hole cut for the head.  The fabric was cotton Osnaburg, which I dyed.  Some of the fabric came from a different bolt which did not take the dye in the same way.  Bah.

This is a classic tunic pattern and useful for so many things...

peggyelizabeth

First off, H/A or not, it's a beautiful tunic!
As for what to wear with it, you might try doing a search for SCA photos, many people wear tunics and it would give you an idea of some of the things others have done so you know hat you like and what you don't. http://www.keradwc.com/medieval/index.html is a good place to start looking around. Lots of photos!

As for the hem, I'd probably just do something simple. I like to draw emphasis away from the hem by allowing it to disappear and by decorating the neckline more. But that's a personal preference, you might find that you'd rather jazz it up.

mellingera

Ditto what Gem said about the hem and trim and well, just ditto, I guess!

If it belonged to me, I'd put trim around the wrists and neckline, use a nifty clasp, and hand hem the bottom.

Do let us know what you decide and post a finished pic!

CountessofPhoenix

I put trim around the neck of my daughter's boyfriend's shirt and it really made a huge difference. Although I had to cover-up a small tear which is why I put the trim on his. Different style of shirt but you get the idea.

Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream