News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Question for the Photographers on this site.

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, October 20, 2009, 03:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

How many of you give out your photo information to those you take photos of? I started last year giving out my business card. I thought maybe it might drum up business and it also got me more known at faire. I am just wondering if any of you do this for your subjects. It allows them to track down their photo.

Or do you just keep them all to your own and the forum and make people hunt them down by searching. I know Nelson Chen at CoRF will give out some business cards and everyone at faire can't wait for his visits.

I would only suspect those of you that are using high end equipment or do this as a business or money making hobby and not the ones using the little point and shoots. but please all of you pipe in.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

photomike

Greeting Lady de Laney,
                               I got the name PhotoMike at the Sterling Ren Fest many years ago when I would take many pictures & the following weekend would take more as I try to give out copy's to people. That got expensive & time consuming. Thanks to digital I can now post all my pix on the web to share with any that wish to see. Since the 2005 season I have been posting my photos at different sights & now use photobucket. I do hand out about 500 cards with my name & contact info with the address to my photobucket sight.
I may ask first & explain what I do with the pix but then I will also take the pix first then approach them to give them a card so they can find there pix. I have had patrons & performers ask me to take there pictures & I will send them to them by e-mail or I can send them a CD. I always have cards to pass out & have never had anyone complain when I take there pictures. As much as I love taking the photos, sharing them is the BEST! Nothing is better than seeing you photos on a patrons my space or facebook! I also allow the performers to use the pix as they like. Here is a link to my photobucket sight if you would like to see the pix.
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/wildroverphotos/
*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

valt

I have been carrying around a pad of paper and pen for when people ask if I will be posting the photos somewhere.  Most of the cast at TRF eventually find them online anyhow and generally are my main photo targets.  I need to print out some cards as I get more people asking for a card or something.  I just shoot for fun and share the pictures, I don't do photography work for money.  It would help if I had a simpler domain name though...

dbaldock

Quote from: valt on October 21, 2009, 02:33:27 PM
I have been carrying around a pad of paper and pen for when people ask if I will be posting the photos somewhere.  Most of the cast at TRF eventually find them online anyhow and generally are my main photo targets.  I need to print out some cards as I get more people asking for a card or something.  I just shoot for fun and share the pictures, I don't do photography work for money.  It would help if I had a simpler domain name though...

The "faireshots.com" domain appears to be available.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

photomike

I use vista print to get my cards. 250 free (5.00 shipping) I think I got 1000 cards for about 25.00 using the free offer & coupons.
*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I print my own on Glossy business card paper. They look Fab and I do about 14 different photos on the cards. this gives me some randomness and it is very easy using Word and Avery business cards. The look great and just like a photo on photo paper. Then again my printer while old does photo quality prints (HP DJ940c)
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

DeadBishop

I hand out photo business cards that have both my own information and the forum's info on it.  Does double duty for me while at faire...

R/F.com member since 2003

Malkavian

I generally only give out my info (email address and deviantart account info, just a hobbyist here) if someone brings the subject up on their own, or in the case of a performer I take a business card of theirs and get in touch afterwards.

Part of that is that I don't have any properly printed cards, part is that I don't want to be seen as pushing my meager gallery on people

Melkar

I keep Moo cards on me that point to my SmugMug account, email, etc...  If someone asks I'll give them the card. 

I've not been very proactive about giving the cards out though.  Probably because I don't know if the picture will "make the cut".  Might not make the gallery.  However if they ask me, I remember the picture and ensure it's in the gallery, even if there are some things wrong with it such as I'd not post it normally.
BCNU,
  Melkar