News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Please help me find a pirate coat.

Started by Sir. Kindle, October 21, 2009, 07:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir. Kindle

Hello all,

I've wanted to buy a pirate coat (frock coat) for some time now, but I'm having difficulty finding something that works and isn't going to leave me penniless.

I've found these coats, from England, but would love to hear opinions on them. (they are about half way down, labeled "Pirate Military Coat" & "Gothic pirate, steampunk long coat." I really like the look of the second one.) http://www.sharpe-designs.co.uk/dragonesque-clothing-cloaks.htm

I did the calculations and the price, even with shipping from England, would be far more reasonable than a lot of coats I've found sold in the US.

Has anyone here found a site that sells pirate coats at a reasonable price, or, even better, can make one at a reasonable price? I'd love to get one from the US, rather than import, especially since the picture doesn't give you a good idea of it's weight. Plus, I'd hate to buy it, only to find that I got the wrong size.

Overall, I'm looking for a medium weight coat, that is mostly black and, if costume made, maybe trimmed in burgundy, with lots of buttons and, preferably, with a collar (I've noticed many frock coats don't have collars). I've always liked the look of the button accents, if that's what they are called, that run down the front of most pirate coats. I could go with a light coat, if it saved money, but would hate to get something that was so light, that it blew around a lot, even in the lightest winds.

Suggestions, advice, and/or links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sir Kindle

Auryn

Great looking site and the prices seem very reasonable.
Can you find any reviews of it anywhere??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

isabelladangelo

To my eyes, that looks very modern and very vampire like.   I'm guessing it's a play off of 19th century designs rather than 18th c.  Cotton canvas is very stiff stuff.  It's what I, and many other ladies here, use to interline our bodices with.   

For frock coats, I'd check etsy.  I just did a simple search and found an awesome basic pirate coat for $90.   Look for seller MaritimeArts

Sir. Kindle

Quote from: isabelladangelo on October 21, 2009, 03:54:42 PM
To my eyes, that looks very modern and very vampire like.   I'm guessing it's a play off of 19th century designs rather than 18th c.  Cotton canvas is very stiff stuff.  It's what I, and many other ladies here, use to interline our bodices with.   

For frock coats, I'd check etsy.  I just did a simple search and found an awesome basic pirate coat for $90.   Look for seller MaritimeArts

Thank you both for the comments and suggestions.

I've checked out etsy and, while I didn't see the "perfect" coat, I did see potential. A few of them had some nice designs, at reasonable prices, so I'm hoping one of them might be able to costume make something a little more to my liking.

As for the coat, that is one of my concerns. I too am afraid that it might look bit too gothic/vampire. However, several of my friends have looked at it and really like it, but I'd like to get opinions from people with more Ren. Faire experience, before making an overseas purchase like this.

Thank you Auryn for mentioning reviews. That's usually the first thing I look for when considering an online purchase, but, for some reason, not this time. I'll have to do google search for the same coat later and see if there are any reviews, or, better yet, a stateside vendor.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming!

Sir Kindle

Auryn

The coat you were looking at is definitely more vampire/ gothic than historically accurate ren.
However I am totally not HA so I still think its a cool jacket.
Itd definitely be in the steampunk/fantasy category but I still think its cool :)

Let us know what you decide.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Seamus Ex Machina

Check Ebay for 'pirate frock coats', and then look under the 'Altered Ego' store.  They have some great looking coats and waist coats.
Legendary Hellraiser

temper

Veronica at Storied Threads recently wrote an article in Renaissance magazine on "the well-dressed pirate-she tries really hard to work with budgets and will work out payment plans. I've *loved* everything she does and this is a good time to hit her since she is stating her 'winter" commissions
http://www.storiedthreads.com/
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.