News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What do I do with non-performing Husband (should I become a performer)?

Started by ADraeger, October 21, 2009, 04:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADraeger

So, I'm *finally* settled in within a two hour drive from Scarby... and as I miss acting (been in Theatre since I was a wee one) and love Scarby, I'm considering auditioning (still trying to find out where, how, and if).....So please keep in mind I'm taking this as a 'what if I got hired' stance.....

What do I do with Hubs?  ???

He's not an actor.  He loves Faire, has a marvelous set of garb, but... what do I do with him?
I'm assuming he's rightly allowed to sleep in the participant area with me (God Forbid someone deny him that ;) ), but what would I direct him to do for the entirety of the weekend as I do... well.. whatever it is I may end up doing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is the current hang-up as to why I have yet to work a faire...  Thanks! :)

Terry Griffith

Performer and cast spouses often work for vendors.  Even if they don't pay much, it's a reason to be there and get in for free. 
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

raevyncait

One couple that I know, she is on cast, he is not, but they camp together in participant camping.  Her character is part of one of the courts, and he is usually around, either wandering about with fellow Rogues, ratpucking, or lending a helping hand when needed by cast. I've no idea what the arrangement is for his entry into faire, though.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Seamus Ex Machina

You are the first woman I have ever heard of that would even consider keeping a non-performing husband around..... ;)
Legendary Hellraiser

Welsh Wench

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

BLAKDUKE

Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

BLAKDUKE

ADraeger:

I would not complain to much.  There are women on this site that would kill to get their husbands out to faire, just so they could do something together.  The same holds true with Husbands trying to get Wives out there.   Way back when, I had the same problem(notice I said HAD).    As long as he is in Garb, has an interest, and is willing to go along without complaint, go with it.   He at least has the luxury of cutting out and going back to the campsite and relax for a bit.  Most performers do not have that available to them.  If you have a stage act you can relax together between performances.  If you are a street character or part of the cast then your pretty much S.O.L.

Good luck

The BLAKDUKE

stonebiscuit

The answer to this question is going to depend a little on the camping policies at the faire, but I think your best bet is to see about booth work for him. Or rather, get him to see about booth work for himself. It seems to me that it's going to be a hard sell to let a non-participant camp in participant camping over the weekends.

Alternately, if you're within two hours you don't have to camp at all, though I don't particularly reccommend it. :D

lys1022

Audition information will undoubtedly be available after Screams is over.  The faire office is a bit focused on Halloween right now. :)

In the past performing company members have been allowed the privilege of a Spouse's Pass for their SO.  I am not familiar with the particulars regarding camping, as I do not ever do so, but I have no doubt that should you get accepted onto cast, those questions can be easily answered.  Your hubby does not have to be in garb to take advantage of the Spouse's Pass, and I might recommend to him that he may want to play a day or two in plain clothes, just to see how the other half lives for a change. *grin*

On a more serious note, it can be hard at times to have one spouse on performing company and the other one not.  Especially during workshops, as in the past spouses have not been allowed to participate in them.  This means that for two months you'll be busy every weekend and he won't be there.  It's a bit easier during performances, because you can at least see each other during the day (though in-character while in the lanes).  It's still four months of crazy, hectic insanity where your focus is on the year 1533.  I'm amazed that any of us are nuts enough to do it. *laugh*

It is possible to do it, but there needs to be a lot of communication and a lot of compromising.  I've seen it bring couples closer, and I've seen it contribute to problems.  It's all in what you make of it. 

Ironically, my husband will probably be returning to performing company this year, and I will not, so we'll get to experience it too! :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Seamus Ex Machina

Legendary Hellraiser

Queen Maggie

You've gotten an answer from Lys, who knows Scarby well, so that should help. I'll just mention that when I started working at MDRF (lo, these 15 years ago) I did rehearsals 4 or 5 days a week (nights and weekends) and Rich didn't have any interest in performing: work took too much, and the commute was killer.
The first year, he came to watch me perform several times, but felt that he couldn't spend EVERY weekend seeing the same show again and again. But by that time I had made friends with a lot more people, and become a member of the IWG, so I sicc'd the wenches on him. ;D
It was a perfect solution: he made new friends of his own, that eventually became mine too, and he had a group of people to hang out with. Plus, the fact that he was married to me, and I vouched for him meant that the other ladies felt free to flirt with him and know that he didn't take it seriously, and wouldn't press them for more than they willingly offered (so much so that other men started asking him  how he got so friendly with ALL the women!)
This may not be your ideal answer, but since he's already playing along, it wouldn't seem that it's gonna be too much of a problem, if you talk about it ahead of time. I just say that after all those years of staying home, and taking care of kids and house, I was catching up on business trips.
Queen Maggie
wench#617, Bard #013
aka Mistress Mannerly, Goodlief Bailey, Cousin Undine Mannerly, Mother Lowe

ADraeger

Thank you all very much for your advice! :)  Sorry it's taken me a while to respond - internet is scarce right now (and it's partially a blessing). :)

Blakduke: I'm not complaining in the least about him - it's just the opposite.  I don't want him lonely/bored/miserable while I'm off doing whatever..... and as you pointed out Lys, if I'm on cast, I'll be in character all day...
Queen - Good point. :) I've thought about trying to get him on these boards to make friends (we don't have many friends that attend faire on a regular basis) to find some fellow playtrons to run around with... but as he's in the middle of school right now, he's *rarely* online for the fun of it.
Seamus - lol Have no concern for me. He performs most excellently.  ;)

We've still got some time to figure it out... and if we don't get things worked out this year, then we can always see what we can do the next year (or perhaps when he's graduated & less stressed).

Until then -

I shall nurture my acting bug by becoming a most mysterious teller of fortunes this weekend.  :)  (Happy Halloween!  ;D )

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: ADraeger on October 30, 2009, 09:00:34 AM
Blakduke: I'm not complaining in the least about him - it's just the opposite. 

I should have put that comment in a smile type of thing.  I did not mean it in a derogatory fashion, just sort of, as long as he is content don't try to lead him to an area that he does not want to be in.   Good Luck

Casche

I know this is a few months old, but since SAPA auditions were yesterday, in case you did audition and make it, I'd share my 2 cents...

My boyfriend is on cast, and last season I got the SO pass.  There's a form you have to fill out and send in a pic and then they'll send you the pass.  As for what's for the SO to do... Last season, I was actually able to hang out with Ian quite a bit without interfering with his acting time.  I also hung out with him between his obligations "backstage" in the keep.  When I wasn't able to be around him, and when I wasn't at faire with someone else, I would go to different shows or shop (though I doubt your husband would care to shop, unless he was buying a gift for you  ;))  It just fit that my favorite shows would normally fall while my bf was busy.  It also gave me a chance to explore some new shows I would have never had thought of going to before.

Also, with the SO pass, you get access to FOF areas as well (free water and gatoraide!)

With the SO pass, the SO has full access to backstage (well, within reason, I mean to the keep and SAPA area, not to interfere with vendors and other performers stuff or anything), so camping with you is not a problem.  It's very nice, because after cannon you can wander backstage and for me, I could hang out with the bf and other SAPA friends and not have to deal with the traffic leaving. 

He can also get in before cannon in the morning.  What I normally did was watch the morning entertainment and when the various acts were being introduced, that's when I would slip inside, otherwise you get stuck in long lines to get in.

Uhm... I think that answers all your questions.  It would also be a wonderful time for him to not only explore faire to find what he wants to do as an individual (if that makes any sense) but also a nice time for him to get friends to join him!

Merlin

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making