News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Garb - Then and Now

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, October 21, 2009, 09:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

Our youngest son moved into his own apartment yesterday, and while going through stuff in the garage, to give him old dressers that we had in there, I was able to get to my cedar chest for the first time in years.  Inside, I found our first garb.  Steve and I were almost crying we were laughing so hard.

We decided we will put it on some time and take pictures, sort of a then and now.  I can't sew, so his first garb was a maroon choir robe.  Over the top, I did make a long, sleeveless vest out of some curtains I bought at Goodwill for $2.  They are bright red and orange.  You will see how he looked in the picture.  And I was so proud of that garb.  I always tell him to this day that he was the "best dressed man in curtains."

Anybody else have then and now pictures?  Post them here.   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

gem

No pictures, but the first time I went in garb to Fair, I was about 15, and my whole D&D gang went up together to MNRF--dressed as our characters.  My outfit at the time consisted of a white peasant blouse, black leggings, scrunchy brown boots, and a turban that for some reason fit really strangely (my character had a magical turban won on campaign).  It wasn't until years later that I found the pattern I had used to make the turban, and realized it was for children!  No wonder it never fit!  Later that year I made a cloak from some beautiful printed corduroy--black with twining rose vines.  It's been 17 or 18 years, and I *still* wear it!  ;D

Malcolm

You asked for it.
First Garb

Current Garb
YOS,
Malcolm Abernethy
Knight Commander, Order of the Blue Ribbon
IBRSC #1272
1608 Society
"Be the best you can be... considering."

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Our first set of garb was whatever was in the Costume Shop that was available. More of the upper Peasant look to the Upper Nobility we dress as  now. What a difference 10 years make.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Dinobabe

This is a great idea!  I have pictures of me in garb since age 9!  I will have to find and post them.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Taffy Saltwater

First time at faire, first time in garb!
Sveethot!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Taffy!! Way far out!!!

I have tht fabric you made your skirt with!! Made my Brother and Husband Shirts!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Adriana Rose

I have bloomers out of that!  :D