News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

English Gown/Ropa

Started by Rowan MacD, October 15, 2011, 10:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Which site has the best pattern for the loose gown/Spanish Ropa?  I wanted to get a ready made one from Castle Garden before they closed shop but never did.
  I don't like the styling of the Likely Lotus version at all, so it appears I will need to give it a shot myself.  
Thanks,
~Rowen

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

gem

Margo Anderson has one (Comfort Gown ensemble), and there are patterns in Janet Arnold and Tudor Tailor, as well.

Rowan MacD

IWG wench #3139 

Rowan MacD

I ended up buying Margo Anderson's- Men's and Women's Elizabethan costume patterns and the accessories patterns too.  I may get the comfort gown later, they cost me 122.00 with shipping.   I already have the fabric and trim.  I hope this doesn't turn out to be too much for me!

IWG wench #3139 

Cilean

Quote from: Rowen MacD on October 15, 2011, 10:34:56 AM
   Which site has the best pattern for the loose gown/Spanish Ropa?  I wanted to get a real made one from Castle Garden before they closed shop but never did.    I don't like the styling of the Likely Lotus version at all, so it appears I will need to give it a shot myself.   
Thanks,~Rowen

Well, that sucks so many are closing up shop, people just don't have the cash to spend.  Sigh

So Margo has her Comfort Collection and there is one from Reconstructing History as well.  I do want to mention? A Spanish Ropa, and an English Fitted Gown are different so if you want the Ropa, there are patterns and if you want an English Fitted Gown there are also patterns, but they are not the same thing.  Sorry, I felt the need...

I saw something on Etsy if you want to check there, but I am a firm believer in making it yourself.....unless it is a Victorian corset, then pay for someone to do it.  LOL

Tudor Tailor has some awesome patterns now, so do check them out!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Rowan MacD

I decided to put off the English gown project for now.
   I will decide on whether or not to buy the Margo Anderson pattern for the comfort gown after I do the Elizabethan gown and Milords outfit from her patterns and see how those turn out.  I have the fabric for both projects and just received my order for trim in the mail.
    I decided against ordering the 'Couples' package form MA because I don't need the underpinnings package that was included.   I saved about $13.00 ordering the 3 patterns I needed separately. I can't wait to see them.  ;D
IWG wench #3139 

Cilean

Awesome!!  So when you do? If you would like you should sign up for Margo's Group on Yahoo....Loads of people on there! We try to help with anything and everything!

Good Luck!

Cilean ;D

Lady Cilean Stirling

Rowan MacD

Just got the box of pattern today.  Wow.  those are big packages!
IWG wench #3139 

Cilean

Yes I suggest if you get a binder with a pocket to hold the patterns then you have everything together!

I know Gem and others are with me on the list for Yahoo Groups, so please do join in the fun there if you have any questions, just shout them out okay?

Cilean
font]
Lady Cilean Stirling

gem

I like the 1" binders with the clear covers you can slide inserts into. They look really sharp with the colored covers on the front and the measurement charts on the back, and they're not overly bulky. Walmart often has them for good prices. I have paperclips marking my oft-used pages in the instruction manuals (the lap placket for the skirt in the Elizabethan Lady's ensemble, the sleeve puffs in the Tudor packet, the high-necked smock instructions in the underpinnings...), and I keep my printed freebies (like the partlet) in the pockets inside the binders.

Rowan MacD

I joined the Yahoo group.  Thanks for the help!  Walmart and Target have the binders pretty cheap, and I just unearthed a few from an old book bag.
IWG wench #3139