News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fabricholism...

Started by mellingera, May 08, 2008, 07:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountessofPhoenix

Simplicity patterns go on sale at JoAnns Memorial weekend. 5 for $5. Got the flyer today!!!
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Lady Rae

Oh goody...

Of course my pattern stash is ALMOST as bad as my fabric stash!

Pascal

I have to confess; we fed the fabric beast this weekend!

Three of us usually take a yearly fabric "quest" -- this year we flew up to Minneapolis.  Hit S.R. Harris, Mill End Textiles, Treadle Yard Goods, Ingebretsen's, and a Super JoAnn (not all that super, though).  Best of all, we even had coupons for S.R. Harris and Mill End!  Bought about 80 pounds of fabric and leather!  Found some great wools (half off at both S.R. and Mill End!) as low as $3.50/yard.  S.R. Harris had all their linen and linen blends at 3.99 a yard, too.

irish

OMG! I am going to be a pattern~holic, too!  ::) LOL!
Thanks for the pattern info!
(Now if I can keep away from the fabric sales,  :o , I will be fine. )
irish
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Lady Grape

Thanks to coming here I have learned how and where to shop for fabrics without having to spend a lot of money.
Thrift stores have lots of sheets and curtains cheap for the remaking.
Yard sales and flea markets are good for the above plus patterns and stash that they are willing to part with.

My problem is organizing it all.  In the old threads several people had talked about how they have all their stuff organized.  Would it be possible for people to repost their methods for being able to find the right pattern, material, beads, trims, and such either in here or a new topic.  Anything please on how to find it once you have purchased it so that I can get control of all these tubs, boxes, and totes before they take over my house!!!!!!
Be the change you want to see.

LadyOren

My name is Lady Oren and I'm a fabricaholic.....I've been dry as of late, until I passed by a yard sale last week, I knew there was fabric cause the sellers had 3 machines sitting in the yard.  So I stopped, 18 yards of emerald green linen are now added to my stash...back on the wagon for me.
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

mellingera

I had to go to walmart today to buy a bulletin board fro work. Of course I cruised by the fabric dept since I was there... Grabbed up 4 yards from the dollar bin of a fabulous silver/grey fabric with a diamond pattern made by black threads, with a silver square at the intersections of the black threads. It is so fabulous! I am imagining a grey gown with this as the forepart and undersleeves, ooooooh so nice.... *puts on to do list for Summer 2010*

CountessofPhoenix

My mom has an old free standing wooden closet she keeps her fabric in.  Easy to find. The fabric is neatly folded and visible. I am planning on building a new cabinet in my kitchen just for my sewing habits. Going to put ceramic tile on the top so I can set hot things from the stove on it. Making it 15" deep so my tubs of patterns and otions will fit right in it. Have to do something the renaissance fabric has taken over my kitchen and is starting to threaten the livingroom!
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

CountessofPhoenix

Just got back from JoAnn's and I have been a very bad girl.....Bought 7 more patterns did manage to resist fabric today though so maybe I was only half-bad!!!!
One of the patterns will work great with the curtain panels I bought the other day at a garage sale. It won't be h/a but on my daughter should be gorgeous. She has ice blue eyes and this is the prettiest baby blue wrinkled polyester fabric. Just need some cream colores jacquard for the front panel.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Lady Grape

Shame on me.  I don't have projects for all the stash I have now and I just found out that a group of "older" ladies are cleaning out their sewing stuff and I of course told them I would take anything they wanted to get rid of.

Just hand over the sewing stuff and nobody gets hurt!!!!  Move it move it, come on ladies I don't have all day..... I need to feed my fix!!!!! (LOL)

Ooooooohhhhhh a flyer from Jo-Ann's . . . . . . I'm there.
Be the change you want to see.

LadyOren

okay okay here I am twice in one week falling off the wagon.  Just down the road from my house is a lot of storage units for rent, they had a huge sale and since it's such a lovely day I thought Okay I'll take 20 bucks and walk, can't buy to much if I'm walking now can I.... well I get there and there stuff everywhere, I mean tons of stuff. walking around there is this sewing machine...okay I have 5 already don't even look at it....but I do....it's an older White version, all machine core, with a nice wood cabinet.  The guy walks up and says "you sew?"   I tell him "yes frequently"....he says "Take it for a DOLLAR"  I'm like stunned, I tell him the value of the machine and he says that he has to get rid of all of this stuff.  So I give him a dollar, run home and get my car and now I have a new machine.  Cleaning it on Sunday, but the pre check of it shows that it's in excellent condition.  First thing I did was call my DH and tell him.  He's like "your so goofy"  Well we all get excited about different things.  ;)
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

LaurenLee

Anyone live near Chicago?  There is a fabric warehouse at 2121 W 21st Street that you could lost in for days and days and days... a true old warehouse, the floors slope, nothing is arranged or even priced.. you have to find one of the owners to find out the price.  I try very hard to not go there more than once every two years or so... it is unbelievable.

Lady Oren, I envy your "right place at the right time" luck.. my machine must have a million miles on it, is very tired, and I SO want a new one... maybe my tax rebate??? :-\

Trillium

Lauren,
Check the pawn shops for machines.  My hubby got me a wonderful used Kenmore machine with a case and some accessories for $40 at a pawnshop!
Got faerie dust?

mellingera

I resisted the pull of JoAnn's today! I had to go to the store next door looking for a phone cord for work and I was able leave without going to JoAnn's at all  ;D However, I was just there yesterday, and tuesday, and sunday...
The memorial day weekend sale has a 10% off total purchase coupon (including sale items!) so I am trying to hold off actually buying anything until then... Is it memorial day yet???

Athena

Now Hobby Lobby is my new place for fabric. I went there to check out their home decor and walked out with 4 yards of cotton broadcloth in a beautiful, rich paprika color. I've been wanting a skirt in that particular color forevah but could never find the right shade. Plus, it was 30% off!  8)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb