News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fabricholism...

Started by mellingera, May 08, 2008, 07:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

There is one walmart, relatively, near us that has fabric. They are not the best but they are place where I go when I get a late night "Oh crap!" from the theater.  When I needed a maid's costume in a size 18 by noon the next day.  I hit the walmart for the supplies.  Was the fabric the best in the world?  No. Did it do it's job?  Yes.
One thing I have seen walmarts doing are "craft" areas.  They are stocking some yard, some basic tools, some scrap books stuff but not actual bolts of fabric.  It is a step in the right direction.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Adriana Rose

Yes it is but still I am cranky that they pulled the by the yard fabrics. During the summer I get the chance to go to Joanns and other fabric stores because I am working festival but other than that I am stuck with the scrawny 2 yard teasers.  :-\

irish

dang! two WalMarts, brought back the fsabric depts near me. one is very pricey for some reason and the other has great prices.
i can still get fabric, by the yard at either of them.
well, any way....i saw this wonderful blue 'silky' feel material @ 1.50 a yard. i bought it all. my brother asked me, why? i replied....cause it will 'haunt me', if i don't......lol! silly man........hahaha!
i need not to go there.....::)...yea right......
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Kathleen MacLeod

I'm jealous that some of you still have Walmarts with fabric! The one nearest to me hasn't had fabric in a few years, but the next nearest one did until last year. Then they had a fire and didn't bother to replace the fabric department :(
Sometimes you can't wait for the storm to pass; you have to just get out there and dance in the rain.

Rani Zemirah

Ow!  Fell off the wagon pretty hard today... 6 yards of dusty burnt orange crinkle cotton gauze at $2.49 a yard (for my new Turkish garb), and a half a yard each of dark brown and black heavy cotton duck at $4 per yard... and 2 Butterick patterns at $1.99 each at Hancock's. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

gem

It can't have been *that* hard a fall--looks like you got everything for under $25!

Besides:
Quote6 yards of dusty burnt orange crinkle cotton gauze at $2.49 a yard (for my new Turkish garb)
It doesn't really count if it's earmarked for a particular project.  ;D

...The two yards of heavy grey/purple wide-wale corduroy that found its way into my cart on Sunday, however... hmmm.  :-\

LadyStitch

I'm just trying to use up what i have in my stash at the momment.  I've got so many ideas to make but  we NEED more practical things made.  Granted the PP made the mistake of saying, "Well she has plenty of normal cloths, all there is left to make fun wise would be Faire outfits."   Needless to say he came home 3 hours later to me haveing 2 stash outfits cut out for her.   ;D

The PP has kept me out of Joanns for the past 2 weeks.  I swear I feel like I'm going through withdrawls.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Trillium

Quote from: Kathleen MacLeod on August 14, 2011, 03:47:41 PM
I'm jealous that some of you still have Walmarts with fabric! The one nearest to me hasn't had fabric in a few years, but the next nearest one did until last year. Then they had a fire and didn't bother to replace the fabric department :(

My local walmart is currently restocking the fabric section.  Its been gone for a year or so and they are bringing it back!!!!
Got faerie dust?

Lady Rebecca

When I was down at the LA fabric district with Costume College, I was really good! I got 10yds of a nice pink stripe cotton blend for part of an early bustle dress ($1/yd), a bunch of pretty rhinestone brooches/etc and fake flowers for hats/accessories (I think around $12 total?), and some pre-done lace collars and cuffs for my mom's Edwardian blouse ($6). I think that was it?

And at the Bargain Basement at CosCol, I found a couple yards of a nice white fake fur, two smaller (maybe 1-2yd pieces?) of bright blue wool, several yards of matching blue lace, a brand new Reconstructing History bodice pattern, and brand new Folkwear (I think?) cape pattern, and a couple yds of a nice light printed cotton, all for $10 total.

I just hope I can be as good at the GBACG Bazaar at the end of the month! Especially since I've been ebaying a bunch lately. :)

Cilean

Okay My Lords and Ladies!

You have to see what I scored! I hope this works, I have issues with my Picasa working correctly!

So from left to right is:
6.5 Yards from Joann's was $12.99 but purchased with a 50% off coupon and then an additional 30% off so it was $6.11 per yard.
6 Yards of Wine Linen -Handkerchief weight about 3.0 ounce $4.00 per yard.
6 yards of Shot Linen in Purple and Orange-Handkerchief weight about 3.0 ounce $4.00 per yard.
8 Yards of Damask cotton blend in Lavender and cream- $5.00 per yard.

So these are my lovelies, now I need some basic linen for lining and so I will be picking up 20 yards for this purpose from the same place and I hope to get it at $3.00 per since I am making a huge purchase.

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Adriana Rose

OOh those are some very lovely colors!

DonaCatalina

8 Yards of Damask cotton blend in Lavender and cream- $5.00 per yard.

OOh OOh OOH- I got some of this too several years ago and died it hot pink to do a version of Eleanor's betrothal gown.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Cofeeguru

My new hunt is for some good non-pilling black velvet for a new hat, and it has to be non-stretch.  Barring that, I'm willing to settle for microsuede, but a velvet hat looks so sumptuous.
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;"-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Fabric I bought today at SR Harris  for various projects I have coming up.

For parseexception's 17th Century Doublet ensemble. A silk brocade that jumped out at me and said, "BUY ME!" Soft and luxurious. A steal that I nabbed 7 1/2 yards of for a Doublet, Sleeves, Breeches, and outer part of a Cloak.

The piping to go with the 17th Century ensemble...

A touch of Garnet, Sage Green, and Gold. I have buttons of Gold with a Garnet Red center that will look marvelous.

Silk to make the partlet for Lady Kett's Venetian ensemble that will have a lace collar as well.

Contrast fabric to go with a lovely Purple Cotton for a
Lord of The Rings inspired gown. I have a braided trim in white with Gold that will finish this off nicely.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kate XXXXXX