News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Two questions

Started by groomporter, October 22, 2009, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

My wife is going to be in Charlotte on business for the day job this weekend and will be at the fair on Sunday, what should she not miss at the show?

------

There's a chance she could have an opportunity transfer down there. What should a Minnesotan know about Charlotte before deciding to move there?
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

justsomeguytn

First Question
Barely Balanced
Nickel Shakespeare Girls
Thom Selectomy
Hey Nunnie Nunnie
Dextre Tripp
Don Juan and Miguel
Cast in Bronze
Sarah Mullen (not on a stage, in the musician's area toward the back)
Ameila Quackston (very, very pretty lady with a duck on her head)
Twig the fairy (if she's got the brocade pouch on complement her on it)
The joust if you have time (try sitting on the left first section as you approach and take alot of pictures.  Because I didn't get to this year)

Is she sure she can't go Saturday also, and take the rest of us :)

Second question
I don't know alot about Charlotte except it's VERY expensive to live there.  Certain parts of town the crime rates are high.  I have an aunt and uncle that live in Huntersville but they've lived there for over thirty years now.  If they didn't already own their home there they probably couldn't afford to move there.
I have myself thought about moving to Huntersville.  The company I work for has an office in Charlotte.  But as of right now they don't pay me enough to make that move.  We'll see how my yearly raise goes this time and maybe do some more investigating.

Lord Cartwright

Question 1
I agree but would add the Rambling Sailors and Irish Rouges

Question 2,

I moved down from Michigan 2.5 years ago, love it down here, but I moved to Salisbury a small town north east of Charlotte and do the 45 minute commute each day.

groomporter

Quote from: justsomeguytn on October 23, 2009, 06:16:36 AM

Second question
I don't know alot about Charlotte except it's VERY expensive to live there.  Certain parts of town the crime rates are high.  I have an aunt and uncle that live in Huntersville but they've lived there for over thirty years now.  If they didn't already own their home there they probably couldn't afford to move there.

I was doing a little research online and it looks like the actual sale prices on homes in Charlotte is averaging about 20k less than here in Minneapolis, and salary.com has a cost of living calculator for people considering relocating and it claims that the C of L is about 6% lower in Charlotte than Mpls. So maybe Charlotte is just expensive compared to other parts of the state?

http://cltblog.com/4444 says the Charlotte cost of living is the 6th lowest out of the top 40 metro areas around the country. But salary.com also says employers in Charlotte, NC typically pay 8.1% less so I might not be able to find a job that pays as much as something in Mpls, but at least my wife's salary would be the same and she's looking at a promotion next year.

JessicaB

QuoteSo maybe Charlotte is just expensive compared to other parts of the state?
This is probably a true statement. Charlotte *is* a big city. NC just isn't made up of *that* many big cities.

groomporter

Pooh I wish I could go a long, we saw Hey Nunnie Nunnie and Cast in Bronze at AZRF 3/4 years ago. I do have a surprise waiting for her. Before MNRF was over I paid Shamus the Insulter to give her a compliment for me when he sees her.

ladyharrogate

as to shows, all are wonderful!  As to Charlotte, I live 25 minutes outside of downtown in Gaston County.  You can get a lot of home for your money, good schools, crime rates are not too high, about what you'd see in an average county our size.  South Carolina around Lake Wylie, Ft. Mill is also a great option, lower taxes etc.  Weather is great and good folks down here.  All my Minnesota and Wisconsin friends love Carolina!

Metheri

My in-laws live in Rock Hill, SC which is about 45 minutes south of Charlotte and really like it. Since the faire is north of Charlotte we stay in a hotel instead of staying with them. Rock Hill is a nice town.

Metheri
Moneypenny
Cruise Director and Brigade Secretary for Clan O'Ceallaig
Irish Penny Brigade

JimF

My wife and I moved here in '03 from Mass. (via VA and FL) and we love it here. Like M'lord Cartwright, we're in Salisbury. The commute to Salisbury can be a devil sometimes, bau there are a few alternates. Were you would buy a house would depend a lot on where your wife's job is located. East (NE) Concord, Kannapolis, Salisbury are good choices (this is also the local area for the faire). Southwards, Rock Hill or York SC would give you more house for your $ than Ft. Mill ot Lake Wylie. To the west, as mentioned, Gastonia and environs are good alts.

Taxes aren't bad, cost of living is less than up north, minimal winters. I ride a MC and will ride any time the temp is 40 deg. or over. Last year, there was about 30 days it was either too cold or too wet and cold to ride. The year before, when I 1st started keeping track, there were 21.

Keep us posted if you proceed with the move idea.
"Are you a Mod or a Rocker?"
"No, I'm a Mocker."

groomporter

The wife didn't make it to the festival unfortunately.

Her job would be in Charlotte at this point, and if we move it probably wouldn't be for at least a year depending on how the Wells Fargo/Wachovia merger falls out in her department in the next year. At this point we're just brainstorming, but we've been kicking around the idea for a couple months as a way to make it possible to sell our period games at both MNRF and the Carolina show.

She got a little freaked when they had a decent-sized preying mantis on the windshield of the rental car, so she's a little worried about what bugs are down there that get frozen out up here. Termites are no real problem up here, Brown Recluse spiders are not too common, and black widows unheard of in the frozen north.

Tammy

Unfortunately...we have all three of those critters. Though, I'm a tiny bit further south. I live in SC, in Greenville...which is about two hours southwest of Charlotte.
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Malkavian

Depending on what your living situation will be it's not THAT difficult to keep the majority of insects and arachnids out of your home.  Having a pest control worker keep a border sprayed around most newer houses; keeping the garage/carport tidy to eliminate hiding places helps as well. 

For termites, a newer house (i'm actually not sure how long this has been usual) will have been treated around the foundations as it was being built.

And if you come across any giant praying mantises down here you really need gotten rid of I'll happily come collect :)

shirefriar

Quote from: groomporter on October 22, 2009, 09:29:49 PM
My wife is going to be in Charlotte on business for the day job this weekend and will be at the fair on Sunday, what should she not miss at the show?

For my money--

Ye Olde Nottingham Players
Barely Balanced
Nickel Shakespeare Girls
Hey Nunnie Nunnie
Cast in Bronze

groomporter

The wife has to go to Charlotte on business again about April 20 for about 4 days. I might come along with her, so any events, museums, historic sites or other stuff that I should check out during the day while she's training her new staff?

Recommended pubs or restaurants? Any local rennie hangouts?

We like a beer dark, sushi, Middle Eastern food.

Any "local cuisine" restaurants we should check out?

Tammy

Well, if you could come the weekend before there's the Loch Norman Highland Games nearby.
Sorry, I can't help you with your other questions...I live 2 hours away from Charlotte, and almost never go there.
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

CarvedTones

Quote from: Jessica on October 23, 2009, 10:02:11 AM
QuoteSo maybe Charlotte is just expensive compared to other parts of the state?
This is probably a true statement. Charlotte *is* a big city. NC just isn't made up of *that* many big cities.

Big cities? Including Charlotte? Uhm... one.  :D
I am in Raleigh (where Barney goes to party) and it is likely that Charlotte is going to blow NC's claim to fame in this year's census. We used to be the most populous state that did not have a city with a metro population of one million or more. While a lot of people consider the Triangle and Triad as metro areas, the actual cities are spaced far enough apart that you can go hunting in between them (yes, legally  ;D ). So there are 3 areas where a broadcast TV station might have a million potential viewers, but Charlotte is the only city that big.
-Andy