News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

List of trusted online garb shops

Started by TKM, October 26, 2009, 02:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragongirl

Here are few more sellers that I did not see on the list:
http://www.garbtheworld.com/
http://thecrowsnest.net/default.aspx
http://www.nomadicstate.com/store (great rope sandals, comfortable and pratical)
http://www.plussizecostumeshop.com/ (excellent source for super goddess size garb)

Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Lady Rebecca

It's not exactly garb, but I just had a wonderful corset-buying experience at timeless-trends.com

I called them late Friday afternoon (and figured it was probably after hours) and left a message. A minute later, the lady called me back, answered all my questions, assured me of the full refund policy if I wasn't 100% happy, and I placed my order. She said it wouldn't ship until Monday. I received my corset today (Wed) and am soo happy with it! Really sturdy, and fits really well even though I have a long torso. Total cost, including shipping? $82.50.

I highly recommend them!

TKM

sure, it counts as garb. Every rennie lady needs a good corset... and if I may say, you look quite stunning in yours!

Tammy

Lady Rebecca, that is gorgeous!! And, so are you!!!!! Wow!!!!! I'm checking out Timeless-trends.com right NOW!!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

gypsylakat

Quote from: Tammy on November 06, 2009, 12:25:05 AM
Lady Rebecca, that is gorgeous!! And, so are you!!!!! Wow!!!!! I'm checking out Timeless-trends.com right NOW!!

I did the SAME thing
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

RumbaRue

Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: RumbaRue on November 06, 2009, 12:58:11 PM
I have had wonderful results from:

Majestic Velvets:http://majesticvelvets.com/index.html

I wanted to mention that this seller also sells on Ebay as Royal Coffers.  Rumba and others have had good luck with them, but I had an awful experience with the two sets of garb I ordered from them, one for me and one for my husband.  Didn't fit at all, both had to be reworked.  And my friend who recommended them to me, after the first season, all the grommets in the back of her bodice ripped out.  Buyer beware.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

TKM

thanks for the input, milady. I'll put it on the list for now, as a bad experience or two is bound to happen with pretty much any dealer of anything, but if there are more negative thoughts on it, i'll take it of the list.

dragongirl

I have a Majestic Velvets dress that my friend gave me.  It did not work on her at all but looks fantastic on me.  The differance is that I have a long waist and legs, she doesn't.  That is the fit problem I think.  They use one pattern model and that does not work for everyone.  Just like a Moresca looks wondrful on the same friend, but when I tried it on I looked like I the incredible Hulk getting ready to bust out all over. 
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: dragongirl on November 07, 2009, 11:16:45 PM
I have a Majestic Velvets dress that my friend gave me.  It did not work on her at all but looks fantastic on me.  The differance is that I have a long waist and legs, she doesn't.  That is the fit problem I think.  They use one pattern model and that does not work for everyone.  Just like a Moresca looks wondrful on the same friend, but when I tried it on I looked like I the incredible Hulk getting ready to bust out all over. 

But mine was made to order to my measurements.  The same for my husband's garb.  If they only use one model, then they shouldn't advertise as custom-made.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Steev

Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

Anna Iram

Renee, I don't know what the fit problems were with your gown and with Steve's garb. Perhaps RC completely ignored the measurements they asked for, but I think Dragongirl is right in one respect. The problem with buying garb from an online vendor is that even with a few measurements being taken, such as bust and waist, the waistlength ( measurement from armseye to waist), sleeve length,  is often overlooked, which can throw everthing off. So even something listed as customised can only go so far to fit correctly, if, as is probably the case, they are working from a S/M/Lg model and then tailoring the fit from there. I'm not saying don't buy from online vendors, just keep in mind that if you don't have an off the rack kind of figure you might want to contact the vendor and ask for a few more specific measurements before ordering.

Okay, my 2 cents.

Now for my listing:  A lovely shopping experience and wonderful customer service. I'd purchased a corset while visiting TRF and when I returned home, even though she'd fit me in the shop, I decided I really wanted to cinch up just a wee bit tighter. I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant exchange ( even though the fault was completly my own). The corset wears like a dream, and it's a favorite piece of mine.

She's based in Dallas. Might make a nice outing for Rendevous. :)
http://www.scarlettscorset.com/index.html

dbaldock

Nearly all of my RenFaire clothing has been bought at the in-faire shops of Lady Dra.  She lives and works near the Texas Renaissance Festival, and has booths at TRF, the New York Renaissance Festival, and also vends at the North Texas Irish Festival.  She used to have a booth at Scarborough Renaissance Festival, which is where I shopped.

Her web site / store is:

http://www.houseofdra.com/
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

knarlyknot

I have had the same problem as Lady Renee with Royal Coffers.  "Custom Made" outfit most certainly was not. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Problems that Lady Renee had with her RC purchase were many.

the shoulders of the bodice were too long and way too long past her waist. The skirt is one piece with the forepart as part of the skirt. The waist was gathered with elastic. No amount of lifting the shoulders to fit right on Renee was going to work. That was because the u shape front to the bodice was too wide to begin with, causing the shoulders to sag down. The grommetting was also inferior, as they popped out easily when I was reworking the fabric. I ended up making Renee a whole New Bodice from the fabric that made Steven's Doublet.

I tore her ensemble completely apart when I rebuilt it. The original workmanship was not very good. Renee ended up buying similar Rayon velvet to add to the skirt. The skirt was cut out in such a way that it flared out at the bottom, but narrow at the top in gores. I could not pleat it, so I did normal gathers instead and made a waistband. The Heavy Decorator fabric, I cleaned up the forepart to make that into a seperate Underskirt with a waistband out of Quilter's weight Cotton Broadcloth.

The bodice fabric and Rayon Velvet was underlined with Black denim, boned in the center and you can see the top stitching. There was serging at the edges, then turned and sewn down. I cut down the V in the front and added tabs. There was boning at the grommets at the side seams with a single layer of velvet for the modesty panel. The sleeves were done the same way. Single layer of Rayon velvet, serged, turned down with top stitching. A few plastic pearls on each sleeve with grosgrain ribbon as ties. Grosgrain ribbon also was on the bodice.

What started out as a $90 purchase on eBay, ended up a $350 makeover. What Renee wears now does not remotely resemble her ensemble now.

Steven's so called Doublet was nothing more than a Tabbard with detachable sleeves that laced on the sides. The Neck was too narrow for his head. I made him a  whole new Doublet out of fabric I had in my stash. His Velvet pants were cut so low in the seat area, they fit like bikini bottoms with legs. I added velvet and a casing for elastic so that they would hit his waist as they were supposed to.

There are reputable online vendors that do Custom Made Clothing. In Renee's case that she has shared many times on these forums, she learned that cheap isn't always the way to go.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde