News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Knitting - By Loom and By Hand (Patterns, Suggestions, Discussions)

Started by Magister, May 25, 2008, 02:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arsinoe Selene

www.knitty.com

Free online magazine. Tons of free patterns. Forums (coffeeshop link at the top), I'm Arsinoe Selene there, too.

Let's see, how can I combine ren garb with knitting...

Pattern ideas? Difficulty is not a problem for me. I've done sweaters, socks, lace shawls...

Erynn

Quote from: Arsinoe Selene on June 15, 2008, 07:27:47 PM
Let's see, how can I combine ren garb with knitting...

Pattern ideas? Difficulty is not a problem for me. I've done sweaters, socks, lace shawls...

You can make stockings. I've been working on Cookie A's German Stockings for my Jester garb.

I'm also working on a bag and have a bunch of stuff favorited on Ravelry I want to make.

Arsinoe Selene

Yeah, I don't do socks. I'm not afraid of turning the heel, working on DPN's, now, I don't care. I like a challange.

I have tried making socks, but I don't like them, and it takes me forever. My mom loves 'em, I hate them. I'm making a pair right now, and I'm on the second sock, and I started the first one... oh, a few months ago.

Oh, Ravelry! Is your id the same there as here?

Lady Christina de Pond

Quote from: Lady Donegan on May 30, 2008, 05:42:05 PM
Knitting loom question:

when making a hat for an adult, when choosing your loom you pick green or yellow (according to the kniffty knitters set). Is the size also determined  by the length of the tube?  I find that even though I use the right size loom I stiil make my hats too small.
i've  got the kniffty knitter looms I find the smallest two sizes are too small for adults my next largest is perfect circumfrance for adults if you make it too short though it won't fit an adult either. I've made several for adults and they all seem to fit ofcourse i use my head as a model if it will sit on your head comfortable then any adult should be able to wear it
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Lady Christina de Pond

now my turn to ask. I have purse i knitted i'm not talking bucket style I had to knit each pannel and then hand sew it together it looks really sharp but my biggest concern is that when i decide to use it i'm afraid i'm going to strech the handles all out of sorts any suggestions to keep them looking they way they do now
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Magister

Possibly weave in a non-stretchy material such as a decorative rope or ribbon?  Possibly as some type of accent edging? 

Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

Lady Christina de Pond

Lady Ashley of De Coals

Spinster

I've been working on this shawl:

In pretty bright colors!  ;D

I'm using the handspun yarn from the roving Mag brought me from his trip to Michigan. It has lots of reds, oranges, and blues in it. I'm about a quarter the way through the bottom edging (the first part to be worked) so it will take some amount of time.
I've been turned into a cow. May I be excused?

volans

I knit (knitted?) my first "item" today! My sister is pregnant so I started trying knitting little baby booties, And I did it! it doesn't exactly look like the picture on the pattern but it's SO small and sweet looking. Tomorrow I'll take a picture of it and put it on here. I'm so excited XD haha
I sat watching a flower
as it was withering
I was embarrassed by it's honesty

Lady Christina de Pond

Quote from: Spinster on July 04, 2008, 12:36:19 PM
I've been working on this shawl:

In pretty bright colors!  ;D

I'm using the handspun yarn from the roving Mag brought me from his trip to Michigan. It has lots of reds, oranges, and blues in it. I'm about a quarter the way through the bottom edging (the first part to be worked) so it will take some amount of time.

spinster that looks like it's gonna look really cool when it's done
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Spinster

volans: Congratulations!! Booties are kind of tough for a first project. Right stinkin' on!! There's a simple pattern for a bias baby blanket on the web somewhere (can't find my printout of the pattern with the addy on it) that's good for beginners, too, since it's simple but is a bigger project. It also teaches you how to work a flat piece on circular needles. Very handy to be able to do. ;)

Lady C: Here's hoping! I love it so far, but... well... it's unusual, to say the least. (This opinion coming from the person who thinks the teal, raspberry and mauve lace socks with ruffled tops that Mag won't let me wear are absolutely wonderful.  ;D ) Problem being, at the rate I'm going, it will take a good couple of years to finish.
I've been turned into a cow. May I be excused?

Lady Christina de Pond

spinster if it takes a few years to complete it still will be well worth the effort
Lady Ashley of De Coals

volans

hey! Here's what I've knit so far. I knit a baby hat, but forgot to photograph it before I gave it away. I taught myself how to knit on YOUTUBE of all things, haha! I started knitting in May.

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/doodurgettin/knitting/
I sat watching a flower
as it was withering
I was embarrassed by it's honesty

Lady Christina de Pond

Lady Ashley of De Coals