News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Knitting - By Loom and By Hand (Patterns, Suggestions, Discussions)

Started by Magister, May 25, 2008, 02:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Christina de Pond

I've started the project I've been itching to do since last fall.
even before i learned to knit last fall I've wanted to make some really soft very fuzzy pants. I have a scarf that is so soft and i'm like they would be great pants. thus my fuzzy pants idea was born. well i've had the idea on the back burner until recently one of my co-workers gave me two skeins of yarn one green one pink well i thought hmmmm fuzzy pants so i started the first leg on my green knifty Knitter loom i went looking and couldn't find the green in the same yarn so i figured why not so i'm nearly done with the second pants leg and I've got one green leg and one pink and the top is going to be blue
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

MKDesigner

I found these patterns among my Grandmother's belongings, and they were written in her lovely, spidery handwriting. I have a few pieces of the linens she embellished with these edgings and I treasure them. Gran passed away when I was only a child (I'm 60 now) and Mom told me she did the edgings on the linens for her hope chest.  She was born in 1884 and was married in 1905.  ENJOY!

Pattern #1:
Starting at short end, cast on 6 st and knit across.
1st row: K2, YO, K2 tog, YO, K2 (7st)
2nd & all even rows: P across
3rd row: K2, YO, K2 tog, YO, K3 (8 st)
5th row: K2, YO, K2 tog, YO, K4 (9 st)
7th row: K2, YO, K2 tog, YO, K5 (10 st)
9th row: K2, YO, K2 tog, K3, K2 tog, K1 (9 st)
11th row: K2, YO, K2 tog, K2, K2 tog, K1 (8 st)
13th row: K2, YO, K2 tog, K1, K2 tog, K1 (7st)
14th row: P across
Rows 3 thru 14 are one pattern, work in pattern for desired length.

Pattern #2:
Starting at end,, cast on 11 st and knit across.
1st row: K3, (YO, K 2 tog) 3 times, YO, K2 (12 st)
2nd and all even rows: P across
3rd row: K4, (YO, K2 tog) 3 times, YO, K2 (13 st)
5th row: K5, (YO, K2 tog) 3 times, YO, K2 (14 st)
7th row: K6, (YO, K2 tog) 3 times, YO, K2 (15 st)
9th row: K7, (YO, K2 tog) 3 times, YO, K2 (16 st)
11th row: K8, (YO, K2 tog) 3 times, YO, K2 (17 st)
13th row: K6, K2 tog, (YO, K2 tog) 4 times, K1 (16 st)
15th row: K5, K2 tog, (YO, K2 tog) 4 times, K1 (15 st)
17th row: K4, K2 tog, (YO, K2 tog) 4 times, K1 (14 st)
19th row: K3, K2 tog, (YO, K2 tog) 4 times, K1 (13 st)
21st row: K2, K2 tog, (YO, K2 tog) 4 times, K1 (12 st)
22nd row: P across

Rows 3 through 22 constitute one pattern. This one is especially lovely, I had trouble stopping, made 8 inches and it pressed up so pretty.

Pattern #3:
Starting at end, cast on 15 st and K across.
1st row: Sl 1, K1, K2 tog, YO, K2, YO, K2 tog, K2, K2 tog, YO, K2 tog, K1 (14 st)
2nd row and all even rows, Knit across
3rd row: Sl 1, K2, YO, K2 tog, K4, K2 tog, YO, K2 tog, K1 (13 st)
5th row: Sl 1, K3, YO, K2 tog, K2, K2 tog, YO, K2 tog, K1 (12 st)
7th row: Sl 1, K4, YO, (K2 tog) twice, YO, K2 tog, K1 (11 st)
9th row: Sl 1, K3, K2 tog, YO, K2, YO, K2 tog, incr in last st (12 st)
11th row: Sl 1, K2, K2 tog, YO, K4, YO, K2 tog, incr in last st (13 st)
13th row: Sl 1, K1, K2 tog, YO, K2, YO, K2 tog, K2, YO, K2 tog, incr in last st (14 st)
14th row: Knit across.

Rows 3 through 14 complete one pattern. I had the 'devil' of a time with this one, kept getting lost, but after about 4 false starts, it worked out. Quite nice looking.

Hope you enjoy these. I've already made plans to use them as embellishment on some of my machine knit sweaters in fine yarns. They are all straight edgings.

Marge

girlmacbeth

i'm having loom knitted snood catastrophe i'm a small vendor this year at the rt.66 ren faire formerly joplin renfaire and i'm makinh snoods and shaws and coasters,hotpads and the like possibly other things but my snoods are all coming all unraveldin the center and i'm not sure of how to repair them and most are not even on my KK looms any longer and i'mfrantic to repair them and prevent it happening to the others in the future.I have ideas but would like to bounce and exchange ideas with other loomers before I make abigger mess possibly.

Lady Donegan

Quote from: Lady Donegan on May 30, 2008, 05:42:05 PM
Knitting loom question:

when making a hat for an adult, when choosing your loom you pick green or yellow (according to the kniffty knitters set). Is the size also determined  by the length of the tube?  I find that even though I use the right size loom I stiil make my hats too small.
After many trials and errors and joining a loom knitter group on facebook  I found the answer.
Adult hat: Yellow loom

1.  You decide what  size brim 2inch or 3 inch.  For a 2 inch brim you knit 4 inches  for 3inch brim you knit 6 inches.

2.  you turn your work inside out and put your first loops back on the pegs all the way round.  then knit.

3  Keep knitting till you get to 10 inches, then cast off

Since I prefer the 2inch brim  I can tell you it takes 40 rounds to get 4 inches
then you knit another 40 rounds to get to 10inches.

Hope that helps anybody else trying to make a hat!
AKA:
Kendra The Seamaid
Maevous O'Connell
Fox McShane Cursed Crew (Ship's Pilot)

Hausfrau Monica

I am going to try knitting shawls, stockings and tights over the winter to accessorize our garb for next season.  I hope to use real wool for the shawl/capelet for warmth.  Any pattern suggestions?  Also, does anyone have a pattern for adult size tights?  I think I can trial and error them though... I'll look at old patterns for children's tights and think bigger.

MKDesigner

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the rules for posting and have a question for this forum section on knitting.  I knit my Token / Trinket tuck stitch bags by hand, on a vintage TricoExpress wooden loom as well as my knitting machine.  Would it be acceptable to post a picture or two here to show the various designs I'm working on?  I'd like to get opinions on the sizing and possibly the designs that would be desirable for RenFaires.

Thanks in advance,
Marge

Sitara

Beer wenches are the best wenches!

MKDesigner

Thanks Sitara.

I began making these bags in a much smaller version as men's belt pouches in a stonewash black cotton.  Then a couple of friends who attend a lot of SCA / Pagan / RenFaire events began asking for larger ones.  They pin their Tokens/Trinkets on the outside and have their tokens to share inside the bag, which can dangle from their wrist.  This is the latest pattern/design I've been using, a diagonal tuck stitch pattern.  Now let's see if I can get this picture to load in here.  They're a nice size, approximately 6" x 9".

Marge

Magister

Yes, Sitara has it right... photos of people's work is always welcome!  You have two choices for Knitted work, here and the Finished Projects thread where most people post their most recent projects.

Welcome to the RF.com Crafting Section.

- Mag
      Crafting Corner Moderator
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade