News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

H/A historical clothing myths?

Started by groomporter, May 25, 2008, 03:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

Didn't we have a thread like this. I just ran across this page
http://www.marariley.net/myths/myths.htm
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

groomporter

gem

It's important to note that Mara Riley is an expert (one of *the* experts, actually) in 18th Century clothing, so her specific remarks are directed toward that era of costuming and may or may not apply to Renaissance period dress.

Sempstress has another list: Lies to Costumers

FaireMare

groomporter

Quote from: FaireMare on May 25, 2008, 08:04:34 PM
Great Thread GP!

Thanks, I figured it went with the idea of "coaching" or "enabling" (as opposed to preaching  ;D ) for people who have an interest in being more accurate in their portrayals.

Baroness Doune

DonaCatalina

I love this one from Semptress. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

Myth: If you do not make your chemise/shirt out of pure, 100% linen, you will die. The ground will open up and swallow you, and all the damned will mock you for your obvious lack of knowledge when you get to hell. No. Goodness. I was actually told that once (although, not so creatively). Make the costume out of what you can afford, and that includes the chemise/shift. Sure, linen makes better little neck and wrist ruffles than some other fabric, but I rather like cotton chemises. The nicest, comfiest, most durable one I have is made of fine weight wool, and I love it dearly (and have loved it to pieces). No matter who tells you what, I am unaware of any costuming mistake that will actually send you to hell.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

CountessofPhoenix

However; if you make it out of something that doesn't breathe well, in the heat one might think they had taken up residence in said place. I bought 2 bolts of cotton muslin last year at JoAnn's, 15 yds. each for $12. Needless to say there are many muslin shirts and chemises being worn around here!
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

isabelladangelo

This thread http://community.livejournal.com/sca/634855.html deals with SCA myths but I think it might be relevant to this thread.  Some of them are pretty funny.

Pipere

Yeah, honestly the whole linen debate.... eeeek

I mean, I'm no scadian, but I now line and make all my smocks out of linen. No, I'm not anal- I just love how linen always seems cool to the touch and a little bulkier than cotton. Being able to get linen at discount and occassionally at-cost is the other decider.... If you can afford it, why the heck not, ehwot?
Margraffin Katya Ghuttzout- Vulgarian overlady
Balquis al-Quasim- Turkish assassin
& the lazy college student Jeni