News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Royalty at your show?

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, September 01, 2009, 11:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

So, it came up in conversation the other day, and I figured I'd see if I could get some performer viewpoints on it: How do you feel about on cast royalty coming to watch your show? Would you prefer they stay away? Have you had any problems with it?

Terry Griffith

Absolutely no problem.  They are always welcome and I consider it an honor.  They bring audience with them as well.

The only thing I ask is that they stay until the end of my set.  I know their time is limited but I would rather they came in half way through rather than to leave half way through.  In polite circles, it is considered bad manners to leave in the middle of a show and sends a very negative message to the audience.  That bit of etiquette has been sadly overlooked at faire.  In my stage area, the seating is picnic tables.  Those looking for a place to sit and eat generally find it a comfortable place but if they didn't come in to see the show they leave when they are done eating.  That is very disconcerting to the performer and the audience.

Thanks for asking.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

will paisley

Quote from: Terry Griffith on September 01, 2009, 01:02:52 PM
Absolutely no problem.  They are always welcome and I consider it an honor.  They bring audience with them as well.

The only thing I ask is that they stay until the end of my set.  I know their time is limited but I would rather they came in half way through rather than to leave half way through.  In polite circles, it is considered bad manners to leave in the middle of a show and sends a very negative message to the audience.  That bit of etiquette has been sadly overlooked at faire.  In my stage area, the seating is picnic tables.  Those looking for a place to sit and eat generally find it a comfortable place but if they didn't come in to see the show they leave when they are done eating.  That is very disconcerting to the performer and the audience.

Thanks for asking.

Although they preach the same advice to the cast at my faire, I've always thought it to be a bit impractical, especially for royalty.  What I have seen done at my and other faires is for the royalty to excuse themselves at the end of a number or some other breaking point, stating that they have urgent business elsewhere, and perhaps even calling for applause for the performer.  If I am watching somebody else's show, I normally sit at the back (which shows common courtesy for the paying customers), and leave at a logical breaking point (the end of a song for musical acts).  If I have to walk by any of the audience of the show (ie, if I can't sneak out the back), I'll be sure to be seen singing along as I leave, or sometimes dancing with my shoulder bag in time to the music, just so people know I'm not leaving because I'm bored or I think the performer stinks.  If the seating in your performance area is highly adapted for people to sit down and eat, then people getting up after eating is going to be a fact of life at that venue.  I have had that situation at some of my sets, and I just appreciate the fact that I got to entertain them for the time they were there eating.  The only part I find rude is the combination of people a) sitting right up front at my performance and then b) proceeding to talk all over my act as they eat and socialize.  If all they wanted was a seat, there are usually plenty in the back row.  Taking up the best seats just to ignore the performance (and then to raise their voices to talk over me because they sat so close) is simply pointless and rude.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Syrilla

As a royal performer, I try to only see shows when I know I will be able to stay the whole time and sit in middle area.  Sometimes that acts include it as part of their bits.  If it is a show that "I" want to see but can only see a portion, I try to let the act know before hand, and sit / stand in the back.  I also feel it is extremely rude to get up and leave in the show.  If I am called away, and it does come from the mgt or such, I will try and leave quietly as possible sending kisses or making appreciative gestures to act.  Then catch up with them later and apologize.
I know that the Queen is always on stage, so I try to keep that in mind in all actions.  Even if it is a patron wanting a photo, during a show.

BLAKDUKE

I got caught up in that once a long time ago.  I attended a show just before the joust and sat down in front.  I explained that I had to get up and leave and they said they would do the short version of the show.  THEY LIED.  They did the full version and I was stuck.  Have you ever seen a 300 + lb King run thru a faire and leave vapor trails?    Since then I never sit down in front I always stand in back so I can leave when I have to and that way I offend no one.

However, here is another side, when I vist another faire I never go as King wearing a crown, yet I have had other faire royalty show up at the faire I am reigning over, in Kingly garb complete with crown,  what is the opinion on that, mine is THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

will paisley

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on September 02, 2009, 04:15:43 PM
However, here is another side, when I visit another faire I never go as King wearing a crown, yet I have had other faire royalty show up at the faire I am reigning over, in Kingly garb complete with crown,  what is the opinion on that, mine is THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say the crown is a bit tacky, to say the least.  Although you can explain it away in historical terms, presuming the fashion/style of the garb can be passed off for another country, it's definitely starting to cross the line into doing bits at faire without being on cast.  Even if the person has the good graces to explain that they're not the reigning monarch of the faire ("Nay, I am not from here, I am but a visitor like yourself, desirous of meeting His Majesty just as you are"), it's still quite an attention sink.  Mind you, it can happen by accident (everything but the crown, that is), if the person happens to make REALLY GOOD nobles garb.  I had a friend who had to go around explaining to patrons at faire that he was the king of Portugal, not England, and that he too was a visitor to the shire.  IIRC, he found the king of the faire and apologized.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Mars Mandrake

I had a memorable experience a few years back when I was doing a "road show" at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. I'm tossing 3- card monte, and I hear a voice say "Oh, what is this?" I look up and the Queen is standing right in front of me, of course accomapnied by a group of yeomen with large pointy things. It drew a huge crowd, and wouldn't you know it, the Queen found the Queen every time!  Guess she's just lucky ;D
Mars Mandrake
"How does he do it? Why does he bother? When will he stop?"

Emerald Shaunassey

I do appreciate when the faire monarch(s) come to see my stage show.  As others have pointed out; they draw a crowd with them so my audience seats get filled.  It also exposes audience members to my show that might not have sat down on their own volition.  I too take it as a sign of high regard that those busy folks take time out of their cramped day to sit and watch some of my show when they could be at another one.  It is also a time for me and my employees to "pay it back" to them - for it is very rare that stage shows get to perform for their fellow performers for the sheer joy of seeing their co-workers laugh and relax for a few minutes. 

I do prefer the royals to sit to the side of the audience or the back - just in case they have to wander on before the set is over.  When I in turn visit other stage shows, I sit/stand in the back or off to the side so I do not disturb their show! 

Having royals visit can be a blessing and a curse - they can gather a crowd and disperse it just as easily when they must leave.  For those royals/nobles who try to make your exit as quiet and appreciative as possible, thank you so very much!  You should hold classes across the circuit to teach your counterparts how to be so gracious!

My tuppence,
Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

VIII

There are some shows we just absolutely WANT to see, so we try to cut time out of our schedule to see it ONCE during the run.
We always sit or just stand in the back, ESPECIALLY if we have to leave early.
Yeah, try being small when your wearing that much velvet!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

VIII

Quote from: will paisley on September 02, 2009, 06:08:22 PM
Quote from: BLAKDUKE on September 02, 2009, 04:15:43 PM
However, here is another side, when I visit another faire I never go as King wearing a crown, yet I have had other faire royalty show up at the faire I am reigning over, in Kingly garb complete with crown,  what is the opinion on that, mine is THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd say the crown is a bit tacky, to say the least.  Although you can explain it away in historical terms, presuming the fashion/style of the garb can be passed off for another country, it's definitely starting to cross the line into doing bits at faire without being on cast.  Even if the person has the good graces to explain that they're not the reigning monarch of the faire ("Nay, I am not from here, I am but a visitor like yourself, desirous of meeting His Majesty just as you are"), it's still quite an attention sink.  Mind you, it can happen by accident (everything but the crown, that is), if the person happens to make REALLY GOOD nobles garb.  I had a friend who had to go around explaining to patrons at faire that he was the king of Portugal, not England, and that he too was a visitor to the shire.  IIRC, he found the king of the faire and apologized.
I went to TRF once dressed in my King garb (no crown).
NEVER
AGAIN
It just felt tacky to me.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Syrilla

I agree.  I feel bad, if others know me as queen somewhere else and say recognize it out loud on another faires grounds.

Do you not find that if you are hovering in the back that people will try to approach for pictures or to chat?

BLAKDUKE

I have always tried to difuse the situation by claiming to be incognito and "do not wish to marked for every assassins dagger in the shire"  That usually does the trick.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Paolo Garbanzo

As a stage performer sometimes royalty can really blow up your show if they don't know what's going on.
I love when I have the time to interact with everyone coming to the show, but sometimes you have a tight 30 minute slot
directly followed by another act and you just need to blast through your show so you don't run over and blow
up the next show. 

Royalty by its nature is a big deal, when you have guards, attendants, and the queen or king, it's naturally going to draw attention.
As Syrilla noted, if you don't have time to stay for the whole show the worst thing you could do is sit in the front or middle and then get up
and leave during the show.  Syrilla has been at several of my shows as queen and she's been great.
If you know you can't stay, stay in the back please!  Not only easier for you to make your escape, but draws less
focus, and believe me, if 2 minutes are spent saying "bye, your majesty!" from a very tightly timed show,
the performer now has to make up that time by speeding through the rest of the show or cutting parts out.

Having said all that, 2 minutes of planning at morning meeting can make for hilarious situations during the day.  If you mention to a stage
act that you would might becoming to see the show, then you give them a chance to work together with you to come up with something that will be interesting for everyone.  The performer might be able to tell you which show would be the best one to come to for an array of reasons.

I've had plenty of interactions with royalty at my shows, some better than others. so I would like to give this helpful pointer if I can, remember, we're all out here doing a job entertaining patrons, we all want the best interactions possible.

If you are approaching a stage show that is in progress, make eye contact with the performer so that you know that they see you.  If the performer acknowledges you ("Greetings your majesty!") take that as an invitation to play.  They are accepting your presence and giving you focus.  Keep it short and sweet.  Give the focus back.  If they continue, giving the focus back to you, then you continue, but you should end by giving the focus back (it is their show after all..).  If they end the conversation and get back to the show, it probably means they don't have too much time to play, don't be offended! 

again, 2 minutes of talk during morning meeting can make a world of difference!!

*Images and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin