News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Weather or Garb?

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, October 31, 2009, 05:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cormac

My primary garb is a kilt, shirt, vest and boots.  I am warm natured so I am comfortable if it is a bit chilly for most.  After my last weekend at KCRF and freezing my rear knew it was time to put some alternative weather gear to gether.

A wool cloak is alread in the works.  I plan to put it on over my primary garb on those days were it is going to start cold and finish nice.  For days like the one at KCRF I am putting together some basic piratish garb and picking up a nice wool felt cavalier hat.  I can throw the cloak over that and it should carry me through most anything the family will tolerate being out in.  Also thinking about adding Under Armour.  It's form fitting and supposed to be toasty warm.

No weather condition that the faire would be open in comes to mind that would keep me out of garb.

wyckdblyss

I can now say I have done faire in both miserably hot and very cold weather. My home faire is TRF and as Trillium stated, fall in Texas can be anything from 98 in the shade to 40 in the sun. I unfortunately only have one set of garb... chemise, 2 skirts, bodice and boots. I have been known to wear leggings tights and socks under my skirts though to keep me warm...but there is nothing I can do to keep from sweating to death when it is hot out...Scarby memorial weekend  I was miserable...
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: sealion on November 03, 2009, 07:38:10 AM
And all of my clothing is made from fabrics that can stand up to a downpour without colors running and can go in the washer to get out the mud! lol
Wow, that's handy! That even includes the garb in your avatar?

I had a color run problem my last day at Sterling this summer (and yet not at the downpour at Scarby for some reason). I have a dark green underskirt, and the green bled onto my petticoat, my farthingale, and somehow even onto parts of my bloomers! And some of the red from my cape lightly stained the neckline of my chemise.

knarlyknot

I vary my garb according to the weather.  Having worked faire in temps ranging from the teens to 90's, one set just won't do it.  A lot of the time I have to layer and remove clothing as the day goes on, and then once the sun goes down those layers go back on.

analise

MDRF usually starts the season hot and humid enough that people have been known to pass out from the heat. It usually ends the season cool enough you can see your breath (and, this year, with lots of rain). I've heard it's even been known to snow at the tail end of the season (though I've yet to see it).

Anyway, that means I start out in lighter garb and skirts hiked up and that sort of thing and end with several layers and a cloak. ;)

midnightferret

Lady Renee, I dunno how it is for most people, but I do try to plan for the weather as far as my garb collection allows. Still, a lot of times the weather defeats me! If I bring mostly warm garb, it will be 85 degrees. If I forget my cloak, it will be cold and rainy. If I think "I don't need my Ren sandals, so I'll just bring my boots," it will be way too hot for boots. I can't win.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: midnightferret on November 06, 2009, 06:24:00 PM
Lady Renee, I dunno how it is for most people, but I do try to plan for the weather as far as my garb collection allows. Still, a lot of times the weather defeats me! If I bring mostly warm garb, it will be 85 degrees. If I forget my cloak, it will be cold and rainy. If I think "I don't need my Ren sandals, so I'll just bring my boots," it will be way too hot for boots. I can't win.

I hear ya, midnight.  When we went to BARF in 2007 in March, we didn't bring cloaks, after all, it's Florida, right?  Not.  I spent most of the day walking around wearing an afghan that we kept in the car for naps during the 1400 mile journey each way.  It was rainbow colored, crocheted, and certainly stuck out.  A vendor said to me he had never seen anyone walking around faire wearing a blanket before.  I said to him, well who'd a thought Florida would be so bloody cold!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Cormac

Headed for the rendevous in TX this spring.  We came up with a simple solution for the weather issue.  TAKE EVERYTHING!  We are putting a hitch haul on the Trailblazer just to stow all the garb, shoes, and gear.  From sweltering heat to fridgid cold we'll be covered.  It may take us two weeks to pack and un pack, but we'll be covered.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Cormac on November 07, 2009, 08:48:49 AM

Headed for the rendevous in TX this spring.  We came up with a simple solution for the weather issue.  TAKE EVERYTHING!  We are putting a hitch haul on the Trailblazer just to stow all the garb, shoes, and gear.  From sweltering heat to fridgid cold we'll be covered.  It may take us two weeks to pack and un pack, but we'll be covered.

Aye, Cormac, we are going to Scarby, too, but we're flying, so we are extremely limited as to what we can take there.  I've already been thinking of wearing my regular jacket with my cape over it on the plane, and I may wear jeans with a long skirt over them, and wear my boots.  We've never been to Texas, so I'll start the beginning of April looking at the weather forecasts there to get a better idea.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Synikul

I wear the costume in my avatar for the entire run of ORF, which starts Labor Day weekend and goes 8 weeks. The first 2 or 3 weeks are pure hell as I bake in the sun everytime I leave our shop. By the end of it, I'm usually adding extra layers underneath to keep from freezing. Velvet tights offer no protection from a cold wind, it feels like I'm walking around naked. If it gets too bad then I chicken out and break out the pirate garb which includes a long coat. I don't like doing that because we sell fairy wings, and I'm supposed to be the evil one among a shop full of girls dressed as nice fairies.

Var Greyshadow

I've found that heat gets to me, so I work around that.  If it's going to be 80 to 90-something, I skip the leather tunic and just belt my shirt over my pants.  The shirt and pants are cotton gauze and breathe pretty well.

If it's cold, I go for layers, starting with non-at-all-period long underwear, pants and shirt, tunic, leather poncho (with a hood that actually stays on my head) and my light wool Lord of the Rings cloak on top.  I wear the same thick wool socks no matter what the weather - they seem to work well for both hot and cold.

For rain, I have a Moresca rain cape, but I'm planning to replace that with a cloak from Mystic Cloak (warm and waterproof).  I can still wear the Moresca on warm wet days.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

RSLeask

Quote from: Var Greyshadow on November 09, 2009, 11:02:35 PM
I've found that heat gets to me, so I work around that.  If it's going to be 80 to 90-something, I skip the leather tunic and just belt my shirt over my pants.  The shirt and pants are cotton gauze and breathe pretty well.

hah, wish I could get away with that.  But then, I'd have to go and buy a codpiece, not to mention getting fitted for it, and waiting for it to be made, and then having to wear it if I don't have the full covering of the doublet and... yeah, that's more hassle than I want compared to hanging loose. 

>.>
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

meauho

Personally, I plan for the weather.  Unfortunately, it doesn't always work - the girls I go with don't plan for the weather so they can look nice, and if it is cold, I always end up losing my coat or cloak - and you can't see their costume anymore anyway.
"New ideas are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common."

RSLeask

Like I always maintain... we are walking, talking cloak racks.  If you are a guy, walking with a girl in the rain/cold, and you're wearing a cloak and she is not... you.  Are.  Wrong.

Just saying, that's all.  You're obviously not wrong, given your statement meauho, lol
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

meauho

I agree, but only to a point.  If it looks like it is going to be a nice day, and it turns out otherwise... absolutely.

However, when you start out trying to convince somebody to use common sense before you even walk out the door, and have suffered through hypothermia at -40 in Alaska so 50 degree weather causes you to lose feeling in you hand and feet (colder being much worse), then I believe that a person reaps what you sow - and deserve to have frozen nipples poking out at everybody while freezing their but off.
"New ideas are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common."