News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Prayers for my horse

Started by Lady Amy of York, November 03, 2009, 01:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordwriothsley

Amy I just caught this thread late but I am so sorry that that happened to your horse the way it did. I am sending out prayers and positive thoughts to you and your horse for a quick and speedy recovery soon.

God Bless you as always my dear.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Celtic Lady

Any updates for us on either how Tempus is doing or the capture of the vicious varmint that attacked him?

Lady Amy of York

No capture of  the varmint yet, although  something  was outside  the night before last, cause we  found  tracks,  and  animal  fur.
Wish we could  catch  the  varmint,   so that i can eventually let  my horses out  again to run  when  Tempus  heals, and  also so i  not have  to worry when i take  my  dogs  out.

As  for Tempus, the  wounds on the  sides of  his face seem  to be healing  but  the big huge  wound on his  forehead is  being stubborn.  It looks  like he  may have  rubbed it open.
  He  continues  to eat,  and  is  drinking more  which is  a good  sign. The vet is  suppsoe  to come  on Saturday to check his  stitches, and  to update  both horses on their  vaccines.
   So, so far the prayers  for  tempus  are doing their  trick ! :)
Now  we  just need  to catch  the  darn varmint. :P :)
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Celtic Lady

Good to hear he's doing better. ;D Have your hunter neighbors set any traps for it or something?

Betty Munro

Prayers for his healing continue!
It could take months for a large wound to completely heal.  Be patient and persistant.

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Celtic Lady on November 11, 2009, 05:43:03 PM
Good to hear he's doing better. ;D Have your hunter neighbors set any traps for it or something?

Not yet !  I know  there was something about  that there were only certain times of  the year when you could legally trap  varmint like  creatures..but then  again  I would think  we would be in our legal  rights to trap  an animal  who was  attacking our horses.

We let my mare out  for  abit to run yesterday, with my husband  and i both standing guard.  She  was happy  to get out and  kick up her heels.  She  could not understand  why her big  brother could not come  out, but we nedd his  wounds to heal  first.

I think the one on his forehead is  going to take  a while  to heal.   It is  funny the  way the  skin was  torn on his  forehead.It was pulled upward instead of  downward. Almost like  something reached down  from above  Tempu's  head  and  grabbed him.  We know  that Fisher's  can  climb,  so we are wondering if  the  darn  thing  climbed onto  the  roof of  the   barn  and  reached  down and  attacked  Tempus.

Lady Amy of York

Latest update :

The Good news  and  the  bad news:

We think the varmint  may  have wandered on away from here. There have bben several herds of  deer grazing , and sleeping in our back yard the last ffew nights, and  we don't tink they would  be sleeping out in the open if  there was  a predator  on the prowl.

Have not seen my neighbor  around  who hunts  or  traps  to talk  him.

We still continue  to keep the horses  closed in the barn at night.

And now  the bad news :

The vet was out this weekend  to give  the horses  their yearly vaccines.  While  she  was here she  checked  Tempus's  wounds.  When she  went  to remove  the bandages,  we found  to our  dismay  that Tempus  was not healing as wella nd  quickly as  he  should  be.   The skin and  tissue  around  a few of  the  wounds  was dead  and  dying and infection  had settled in.
And  then the  two big major deep wounds on his  forehead and  face  were full of  foul smelling pus.

So despite  the antibiotics, and  warm compresses  and other daily treatments infection has settled in. So  the vet applied  some  type of  antibitotic  to each of  the  wounds  and  then  rebandaged  all the  wounds  back up,  and  gave  us  some  stronger antibiotics  to give  Tempus, and  she  will check gain  in  afew  days.

So we shall see how  things  go.

Tempus is being a good patient, despite  evrything  going on. I know he  does not like  being tyed up all the  time, but he  does  like  the  extra  treats  and  the  warm hot compresses  he  gets, not to mention the  extra attention.

renren

Sending him healing thoughts, Amy.
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

irish

Oh No! Poor baby!
I hope all turns out well.
Hugs to you Amy and to your huge baby!!!!!
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

lordwriothsley

I will continue to keep Tempus in my thoughts and prayers Amy.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Sir William Marcus

OMG, what a mystery as to what could have inflicted this damage to your horse. In my experience a fisher seems very unlikely, a wolverine perhaps, a fishers no.  Unless there are cougars in the area, and at 17 1/2 hands tall I would bet these damages were produced by a person or persons.

Regardless, Thoughts & Prayers sent and I sincerely hope the culprit or culprits are soon discovered and Tempus recovers from his wounds.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Betty Munro

Positive energy, prayers and good thoughts coming your way for Tempus, and for you to keep up the energy to nurse him.
Keep us posted on his progress.

Celtic Lady

I'm hope Tempus is doing better. He is still in my prayers as always you are.
Anyway, I was remembering whenever one of our cats had a wound we always used tea bags as compresses for the wound. One of our vets recommended it instead of oinment and such. She said clean it up (the wound), make yourself a cup of tea, and while holding the cat and enjoying the tea put the tea bag on the wound. She said to do that a couple times a day. The tannic acid in the tea leaves was very good for healing wounds without infection.

Lady Amy of York

Have not  seen any varmits  or  criiteers  around  lately in the  yard,  other then deer, and  rabbits.  So hopefully  the  varmit or  critter  that attacked tempus  has taken a  hike.
  It could  have  been  done  by humans, but i  doubt it, caus e we live  in   very  quiet neighborhhood.
  So it is  stilla mystery  as  to  who, or  what attacked Tempus, and  i  do  think we may  never know  for  sure.

As  for  Tempus,  the  vet was out on saturday.   His  smaller wound  s  are starting  to heal, but   the great big  wounds  aare still gooshy  and  mushy.  I  still can't belive  the  damage    done  to   this horse's  face.
There was till some pus  in a few of  the  wounds, but despite  that fact,  the  vet  decided  to take  tempus  off of  the  antibiotics  and  see how  he  does  off of  them.

Tempus  is getting very agitated  being tied up his  stall.  My husband untied him yesterday  and handwalked  him for  afew  minutes.
But until his  wounds heal, we can't chance him rubbing his  face  and  reopening  them.

So  the small wounds  are starting to heal, now  we just have  to keep  our  fingers crosedd that the big, nasty and  worse  wounds  start to heal.  the vet cut off  alot of  dead  skin on Tempus's  face  on saturday. Poor baby ! :(

Capt. Morgan

Tho' I love horses, I am certainly not a "horsey" person so you may already know about this product...but I thought it sounded interesting...

http://equinewoundsalve.com/

Sending lots of healing energy to Tempus!
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.