News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How much money do you spend on faire?

Started by Valiss, November 04, 2009, 11:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Clisto of York

Mine is definitely between $4,000 and $6,000 a year easily. This year a bit less due to the economy. This is for garb, Hotel, travel, food, going out, drink and helping the performers and everything else. Then I offset some of that for being paid not to bad to perform in many places. But, If I were to pick a specific number, probably $5,000

Lord Clisto, Duke of York
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

brier patch charlie

For me, all the fairs are out of state and I have drive there, and I'll do as many as 7 a year. I drop something, like 2500 to 3000 a year on fair. But I only go to ones that have camping, or a place to camp near by. Hotel and motels are nice but they cut to deep into my wallet.
Charles Coleman

Lady L

$9,000.00 for the shop itself, then booth fees every year, so that's another 1,000.00 per year and next year they are going up higher than that. Plus, paint and upkeep.
Garb- I make as much as I can, but I don't work with leather or metal. 2 adults and 2 children
Gas- 45 miles one way x 16 days.
Food-try not to spend much on that
Portapottie-$200.00 a year
Building/painting furniture and display units-several hundred
Plants/flower boxes- $50.00 a year
Making/painting sign and 2 banners-lumber, fabric, thread, paint, glue, dowels, chains, hardware-several hundred
New flag I sewed-$50.00
Framing/Matboard/Foamcore/Glass/hardware-hundreds
Printing- hundreds
Orignal artwork-thousands
Purchases from other vendors-sometimes, if I have the money

If it is a faire I don't have a shop at and we just attend-well, that's much easier!
Gas
Tickets
Garb/accessories- we already have that
Food-usually one item per person
Vendor-might purchase something, $20.00 range
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

mehan

Im kinda with Steev on this one.  I am a coupon cutting, wheeler dealer, but when I go to faire I try to patronize the vendors and actors.  We cut out two weekends this year so we could afford to spend more on the weekends we do go.  But I'll admit, its prolly more than we should

analise

I didn't spend as much this year as I have in years past (just bought a pony so most of my disposable income is going that way) but I probably spent a couple hundred at MDRF (including food and a couple of shinies I let myself buy). Working in a booth part of the time, I didn't have to pay for my pass in, at least. :)

wyckdblyss

Wow...I can't say that I have ever spent that much any year I have attended faires...I have learned how to survive a full weekend at faire with $40, so this year when I had a little over $100 for opening Sunday at TRF, I was elated...I think the most I have ever spent in a trip to faire was when I had to purchase a bodice and that was about $80 for one at Heart's Delight...
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

brooke

Wow!  I am shocked at the restraint that almost everyone is willing to show when they are attending faires!   :o  I have never been known for being able to tell myself no, so a day at TRF is very expensive for us (we usually go about 4 days a year, then once up to Scarborough).

Each day we (2 adults) go in with about $200 cash, this is after the price for tickets and gas.  Plus I never go without a credit card to purchases (probably another $100 at least during the day).  Cash goes to food, drink, performers, small purchases.  And don't even get me started on the weeks my friends bring their little ones.  I just can't say no to a child at ren fest... what they want they get from Auntie Brooke (I am pretty sure sucker is written on my head in child-visible ink).     ;D

I just love to enjoy the shopping and shows  and i guess tha comes through in $'s.  I refuse to add all this up because I don't want to know! :P

justsomeguytn

Well my restraint comes from my income.  I spend what I can afford to.

RSLeask

Well, not counting food and other perishables outside of the fairegrounds, this year I probably spent... I would say upwards of $1500.  That is just at faire.  Not counting gas for the commute (which is a pretty hefty haul when tallied up) for the two faires I went to.  That, by the way, was going nearly every day of the season for both.

Typically, I try to stay within a budget of about $50 per day for food or drink.  I always carry a little extra, though, in case the rare event of me "screwing up" during Finnegan's Wake *mock-glare in Pixie's direction*, or I find need to buy a rose... or several.  That sort of thing.  I'll also allot myself a few frivilous purchases (new limited number tankard/flagon/etc), and a stash for immediate need items (such as leather swashbuckling gauntlets I got on a very cold day) throughout the season.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Elizabeth Talbot, Countess of Shrewsbury

When I travel to KHRF it usually costs at least $40 for my gas and my admission fee. This year I went seven times . . . and a couple of those days I did spend a decent amount of money. I know the opening weekend alone I spent over $200. And if I know I won't be back I like to give myself at least $100 for the day. So I'm going to guess (without adding all this up, of course) at least $500 - $600 for just one season.

Buying garb has it's own special fund called "tax time", lol.
Castleteer
IWG #3880/IWG Local #77
Wandering Pirate
Endearing Noble

shadowcat546

eeeee.  How much I don't want to think about, it looks like I'm being  quite responsible.

gas to get to Mich. Ren Fest.  ?$10.00 each weekend.  Go maybe 4 wknds a season. (sometimes I get gas on way home, though)
entrance $19.00 : 2 of those were ' buy one-get one free (canned good donation) '.  ticket just for me.
___my own costuming: thrift/rummage/sew myself: wench..pirate...etc, or civilian sometimes
pack my own food /drinks/ water/snacks in car or soft sided cooler (I haul it around, or go eat in car). $ 0 [considered part of my reg. grocery bill]
$8.00 for 6-pack of glass bottle Woodchuck cider as gift to friend; 1-2 bottles x 4 wknds-lasted all season. (grocery store)
assorted $$ given to tip buckets of my favorite acts.  Some acts get $ for ...? 3 shows a day.
bought no C.D.'s or Dvd's  this year: no $ for it.  (in the past, I may have bought one cd per season)
bought  no jewelry /clothes /art /mugs /booth games.
$5.00 for face painting., did that twice.
oops. did splurge on one leather belt-case: $30.00.   supposedly,  :-[  that money comes out of my profits (Colonial Peddler).
about $3.00 to various animal causes: they had dog-theme wknd  in back pasture. dog/cat /animal rescue always!
bought no liquor .  bought no ice cream (dang that diet !).
I was pretty good this year.  Most times if I had $ in my pocket, it was still there when I left Fest

well, I guess $70.00 or so, for 4 days of Fest is not bad.  
MiRF is the only faire I can afford to go to.
Shannon, ..The Colonial Peddler --see Webshots shadowcat546 (so.-east Mich.) Goods for Sale

wyckdblyss

Quote from: brooke on November 05, 2009, 10:21:43 AM
 I just can't say no to a child at ren fest... what they want they get from Auntie Brooke (I am pretty sure sucker is written on my head in child-visible ink).     ;D

Brooke, My son needs to meet you...he will have you wrapped around his little finger...LOL
My restraint also comes from my financial state...I make little and what I do make goes to keep the renlet in diapers... :D
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Auryn

Wow,what a loaded question, forces you to be honest with yourself.

Well, when we go to our local faire, its only 25 minutes away from my apartment.
Season pass is $50 (this upcoming season it was my birthday present from the parents so not out of my pocket), I will say we will spend $50 the entire run on gas to and from faire.
So far in the last 12 months I would say I have spent probably close to $600 in garb related stuff for both of us, but its spread out $40 at joann's one weekend, $40 at tandy a month later, that kind of thing.
At faire, we usually stay to around $40 a day for the both of us on food and drink, kettle corn, turkey leg and brauts are our staple favorites.
We try to bring about $10 for tips to acts, its not much but its the best we can afford.
We will buy maybe a cd or two per season.

Our budgets are super tight so there is no spending on garb or anything else at faire.

We will go to BARF for one day of the run.
for that day
$25 for breakfast at Bob Evans on the way there.
$60 roundtrip on gas (4 hr drive each way)
$30 for food at faire
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Dayna

Gas and etc. Janesville WI        -  $100  Goodies - $50
Gas and hotel Siouxland  SD      -  $300  Goodies - $300
Gas and hotel Bristol     WI       -  $400   Goodies - $200   This is per weekend, so $600 times 9
Garb Bristol  WI                      -  $500 on clothes, $750 on boots
Glassware Bristol  WI               -  $2000 approximately, maybe more
Gas and etc. Stronghold  IL      -  $100   Goodies - $100
Garb Stronghold  IL                 -  $500 on partlets
Glassware Stronghold  IL          -  $500

Total for the year $10,000 give or take a bit.  Gas is high because I live in Minneapolis MN.

This does not count the $1000 or more I spend on fabric, trims, beads, pearls, gems that go into the garments I wear as a noble at Siouxland and/or playtron at other faires as a noble.  Working wardrobe for Bristol and Stronghold is a few hundred dollars per year as the fabrics can be less rich and the ornamentation more subdued, seeing as I am a Merchant/middle class participant there.

No, I'm not rich, my house is paid for, I have no car payment and carry no credit card debt.  I save up all year in anticipation of these expenses, and sock away all the proceeds from costuming work I do for other people to feed my habit.
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Does this include all the money I do not remember spending?  ;)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell